Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Mounir El Hamdaoui

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Salopian"]

An unexpected interest, if it is real, but I have two questions about Mr. El Hamdaoui.

1) Does he have an attitude problem, if he was selected so few times over two years?

2) Where does he come from? Are we going to lose him for the African fortnight in January, and will there be dietary problems in religious fetivals?

3) I can tell that he has a left foot, otherwise he would fall over, but does he ever use it to shoot with?

[/quote]

That''s three questions [;)]

1) He fell out with Frank de Boer at Ajax, and if stories are true, that really isn''t a hard thing to do. He was a sub behind Jovetic at Florentina last season and now Mario Gomez has arrived he doesn''t see himself getting a lot of games, hence wanting to move. He was at Tottenham when Hughton was there, so he probably knows about his character well.

2) He''s from Holland, but of Morrocan descent - has played 5 times for Morroco but currently not part of the squad. Wouldn''t imagine African Cup of Nations is an issue (the next one is in 2015 anyway). I presume he is a Muslim, but as Ramadan has just finished (happy Eid everyone) there won''t be any issues with that for a while, anyway, many Muslim athletes manage to play football around the world during fasting.

3) I guess he is right footed, but is a very skilful player - can''t comment on his left foot ability.

I would add, he is more a striker than an attacking midfielder/support striker - his best performances came at Ajax while he went up top, supported by Suarez - for that reason ''I''m out''.

[/quote]

Damn it! Just remembered they are having one in 2014 as well, while they readjust to the new odd year pattern. Again as Hamdaoui hasn''t featured for the national team for 3 years it is probably safe.

[/quote]

Doesn''t that raise a question, though, Bethnal? Are Morocco so good they can do without someone playing for one of the top sides in Serie A? Quagliarella not having been selected for Italy for three years is perhaps understandable. But this less so.

[/quote]
They took him to the African Cup of Nations and he played twice, they left Adel Taarabt at home. 
Found this: "

The pressure was on the Fiorentine striker to deliver the goods this tournament but unfortunately for him, he struggled to play as a lone striker"

So that counts him out as one who can lead the line in our 4-5-1. 

But all the clips I''ve seen of him at Fiorentina seem to suggest that he is a deep lying player now, like Hoolahan. 

Maybe an affordable stop gap isn''t such a terrible idea if it leaves a big pot for January or even beyond, because targets change and situations change. 
It is preferable to panic buying and spending huge amounts of a player at the last minute without thinking it through.  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Salopian"]

An unexpected interest, if it is real, but I have two questions about Mr. El Hamdaoui.

1) Does he have an attitude problem, if he was selected so few times over two years?

2) Where does he come from? Are we going to lose him for the African fortnight in January, and will there be dietary problems in religious fetivals?

3) I can tell that he has a left foot, otherwise he would fall over, but does he ever use it to shoot with?

[/quote]

1) He fell out with Frank de Boer at Ajax, and if stories are true, that really isn''t a hard thing to do. He was a sub behind Jovetic at Florentina last season and now Mario Gomez has arrived he doesn''t see himself getting a lot of games, hence wanting to move. He was at Tottenham when Hughton was there, so he probably knows about his character well.

2) He''s from Holland, but of Morrocan descent - has played 5 times for Morroco but currently not part of the squad. Wouldn''t imagine African Cup of Nations is an issue (the next one is in 2015 anyway). I presume he is a Muslim, but as Ramadan has just finished (happy Eid everyone) there won''t be any issues with that for a while, anyway, many Muslim athletes manage to play football around the world during fasting.

3) I guess he is right footed, but is a very skilful player - can''t comment on his left foot ability.

I would add, he is more a striker than an attacking midfielder/support striker - his best performances came at Ajax while he went up top, supported by Suarez - for that reason ''I''m out''.

[/quote]

Damn it! Just remembered they are having one in 2014 as well, while they readjust to the new odd year pattern. Again as Hamdaoui hasn''t featured for the national team for 3 years it is probably safe.

[/quote]

Doesn''t that raise a question, though, Bethnal? Are Morocco so good they can do without someone playing for one of the top sides in Serie A? Quagliarella not having been selected for Italy for three years is perhaps understandable. But this less so.

[/quote]

Firstly I must be suffering this morning - there of course isn''t a 2014 Africa Cup of Nations. Seems the switching and the mass of other events happening in 2014 have muddled my brain.

As for Hamdaoui and Morocco there could be a million reasons why he hasn''t been playing for them - I know there were some tensions in the past between having Morocco born players and Moroccan descent players in the team and it isn''t unusual for players not turning out for their countries, especially for African teams and the clashes it causes with the ACN.

I could just be that El Hamdaoui doesn''t really want to play for Morocco. Morocco are in need of a good striker to partner Chamakh so I doubt it is a case of them not wanting him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Firstly I must be suffering this morning - there of course isn''t a 2014 Africa Cup of Nations. Seems the switching and the mass of other events happening in 2014 have muddled my brain.

As for Hamdaoui and Morocco there could be a million reasons why he hasn''t been playing for them - I know there were some tensions in the past between having Morocco born players and Moroccan descent players in the team and it isn''t unusual for players not turning out for their countries, especially for African teams and the clashes it causes with the ACN.

I could just be that El Hamdaoui doesn''t really want to play for Morocco. Morocco are in need of a good striker to partner Chamakh so I doubt it is a case of them not wanting him.

[/quote]
He didn''t decide that he wanted to play for Morocco until 2009 because he was holding out for Holland, but then had that year without playing so wasn''t picked after his first couple of games.
From what I can see he was then picked again once playing for Fiorentina but had a poor ACN 2013. So I guess he has always been in their thinking but you don''t pick a player who isn''t kicking a ball. 
I think if we can get him match fit and confident there is real potential for a bargain. You don''t pay £2m for a player of his quality when at the top of their game, perhaps Hughton knows how to make him tick and just think he''s can get that old player back. 
It is no more of a gamble than buying a £10m player and hoping that they continue to show the form that they did at their previous club. 

Reports today see this link has re surfaced. Totally under whelmed if true, yesterdays man who has not played much over last 2 years and seems to fall out with managers on a regular basis. Finbogasson seems a far better bet, not sure why we have shown no interest in him,given he is in the Dutch league where we seem to be sniffing on a regular basis

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Reports today see this link has re surfaced. Totally under whelmed if true, yesterdays man who has not played much over last 2 years and seems to fall out with managers on a regular basis. Finbogasson seems a far better bet, not sure why we have shown no interest in him,given he is in the Dutch league where we seem to be sniffing on a regular basis[/quote]

He''s fallen out with one manager in his career, Frank de Boer, who is infamously easy to fall out with. Hughton worked with Hamdaoui at Tottenham so he knows about his character.

Anyway, this is just another story that has come out of the Italian media, and only from one outlet (other than picked it up and ran with it). I suspect there is little going on here. With Gomez arriving at Florentina it''s clear that Hamdaoui isn''t going to get many games so wouldn''t be surprised if this is just his agent trying to stir up a little interest.

All of those things could be true, but I still think that the fact that CH worked with him at Spurs gives this rumour a little more credibility. CH is not a gambler, and likes to have sufficient cover and knowing exactly what he''s getting in. Time will tell, I guess.