Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

We will gain enough points to survive

Here they are:

Sotton win; Sunderland draw; Wigan draw; Swansea draw; Arsenal defeat; Reading win; Stoke draw; Villa win; WBA win; Man City defeat.

That''s 16 points gained, which gives us a grand total of  48 points for the season. That should be more than enough points to cement our place in the Premiership for another season I think.

What do you all think?

I think that 16 points is quite achievable from those games, although, as always, there are results at this time of the season, that really don''t apply to current form,. We have plenty of opportunity to pick up lots of points, which will make relegation a far far distant thought. 

TT that must not happen, as it will mean more points than last season, meaning CH has improved the team over PL, this will upset some on here [:D]

"What do you all think?"

That you need to get off your knees and look upwards.

It is about how far we finish up the table. the question being is 10th the limit or can we catch either Swansea or West Brom  ?

We need to get 8-10 points soonest, and that means this month, to a large extent.

If we don''t pick up the kind of results you indicate, and the gap between us and the bottom three narrows, panic can set in. Then it''s a bigger task to get anything from the more difficult games next month.

I can see QPR at last getting things together, and Villa are improving, so we need the points soon, especially aginst Wigan.

We may be saved in the end because there are so many teams just above the relegation zone and many of them have to play each other yet. We can hope that they cancel each other out.

I''m confident that another 5 points, and probably only 4, will be enough for safety, but i expect quite a few more than that.

Are you barking ?

8-10 points would have us on 40/42points

For any of those on 24 points that would mean 16/18 more points, which is at tops 1.8 points a game. The kind of form that would over a season mean 68 points ! Just below Man Utd ! !

Does anyone seriously believe that teams who have struggled to wheeze to well below half that rate are suddenly going to more than double that rate over the next ten games ? Not one team but three of the teams in the bottom 5 - and all 5 of the teams around us as well ... ye gods !

There might be a case for this continuous pant wetting and infantile blubbing if the bottom four clubs did not exist and Southampton were bottom - putting us 2 points outside of the relegation zone. That is not the case.

If folk are talking about the points we can gain, then measure those points in how far we can continue to climb the table. Are Swansea and West Brom too far ahead and so should we aim to stay on top of ''this pack'' and aim to finish 10th ? A bit more of the old optimism of past seasons wouldn''t go amiss.

You lose nothing by aiming for the stars ... and you gain nothing by snivelling in the gutter.

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]

Here they are:

Sotton win; Sunderland draw; Wigan draw; Swansea draw; Arsenal defeat; Reading win; Stoke draw; Villa win; WBA win; Man City defeat.

That''s 16 points gained, which gives us a grand total of  48 points for the season. That should be more than enough points to cement our place in the Premiership for another season I think.

What do you all think?

[/quote]

If we only get 48 points, it could be a close thing.

One of the bottom 5 could possibly catch us if we fail to improve away and keep drawing at home. But it would take 3 of the bottom 5 catching us for us to go down and I just can''t see that happening. QPR are too far gone, Reading look incapable of putting together a run of results, Wigan, Villa and Southampton are all horrifically inconsistent and they won''t all find consistency.

Norwich picked up 7 points from a possible 33 in the last eleven games. With ten games to go, I would say another 7 or 8 points is an achievable target. This should see us safe, though it won''t necessarily be pretty.

Not sure that we''ll get to 48 points, but we''ll stay up. Thought that all season. Only time I thought we might not be safe was for a while after Lambert left. But was happy with Hughton, happy with his signings, delighted with the 10 game run, and always been confidant we''d pick up enough points to stay up.

Also think we''ll be playing better football next season. But we''ll see.