Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Merry Christmas one and all

BWs cat (any relation to Schroedinger''s?) wrote

......Personally I am hoping for a nice career in particle physics....

Bah Humbug. No such animal(s). It''s all waves. I''ve just got to get round the Young''s double slit single photon interference problem ... might be a while though ...

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!!

[quote user="ron obvious"]BWs cat (any relation to Schroedinger''s?) [/quote]

[^o)] Anyone checked to see if he''s alive [:^)]

"Anyone checked to see if he''s alive"

In this world, yes. In the other? Nope.

In the other world I was made an Ipswich fan at birth too.

"All waves? Even with particle-wave duality in photons and electrons?"

That''s the whole point! Quantum mechanics requires you to believe that an entity can be both a wave & a particle simultaneously. I cannot believe that. Whatever it is, it is uniquely that.

The justification is, it works; i.e. gives the best predictive model of the sub-atomic world, but I would contend that wave - particle duality is a ''behaviour as if'' one rather than a ''real'' one. We do not & can not have the tools to directly investigate this world - thus we end up with electrons being described as probability densities; I reckon the buggers are in there somewhere but we haven''t got a spade small enough to dig them out.

|gives the best predictive model of the sub-atomic world, but I would contend that wave - particle duality is a ''behaviour as if'' one rather than a ''real'' one. We do not & can not have the tools to directly investigate this world - thus we end up with electrons being described as probability densities"

We said something very similar regarding Mercury and it''s (at the time) awkward orbit. We invented the "Planet" Vulcan to compromise for that. We were wrong.

Step up Mr. Einstein.

Sometimes it''s just one individual or a group of them is what is needed to crack the deepest secrets of the universe.

Quantum mechanics are indeed a very odd, mad, alien concept to us. We''re only human eh?