Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Bids

According to McNally, no bids have been made. We take him at his word, and reject the "news" of bids, medical tests, etc., from rumours.

He was specific, however, in saying no (actual) bids have been made. This does not rule out enquiries about player availability or transfer prices. I would hope two things:

1) by now CH and Co have worked out where they need to strengthen the team, and have received reports from scouts and pleas from agents.

2) by now CH will have heard how much money is available to him, and decided in the light of it which player(s) he wants. (surely after all his comments about not taking chances, a striker or two must be on his list.)

From McNally''s assertion, it seems unlikely that we shall make a quick signing. All potential selling clubs will have to consider the price bid, the value of the player to them, the ease of getting a replacement and the likelihood of larger bids coming in. They are not there to do us favours. If we are outbid, then CH may have to go back to the list and consider a second bid, or transfer of attention to another target.

For all these reasons I do not expect a quick signing. It could be a nail-biting month. In addition, although I feel that we need two strikers, I very much doubt that we shall sign more than one player. He has an aversion to signing in the January window, and was happy to go with our present strikers, feeling that they could improve.

More immediate may be the selling of players - Korey, Adeyemi, Lappin, Martin C, Vaughan, Ward, Ayala, and perhaps a surprise or two - Butterfield, Fox, Surman, etc.

We live in anxious times, but as the man said, they are interesting!

Another transfer window, another month of moaning about ''lack of ambition''. Sigh.

I really wish people could understand the simple difference between lack of money, and lack of ambition.

eah cos Mcnally will come out and say we''ve made a bid for x player of y amount. We never hear anything from the club regarding transfers unless the selling club goes to the press.

Like i said on the Toure thread, if you tell the press your are in talks for a player it alerts other clubs drives the price up and reduces the chance of the player signing, best to go about transfer business in silence. Which is why so many signings of since Mcnally have come from left field.

[quote user="City penguin"]eah cos Mcnally will come out and say we''ve made a bid for x player of y amount. We never hear anything from the club regarding transfers unless the selling club goes to the press.

Like i said on the Toure thread, if you tell the press your are in talks for a player it alerts other clubs drives the price up and reduces the chance of the player signing, best to go about transfer business in silence. Which is why so many signings of since Mcnally have come from left field.[/quote]That''s why I''m suprised he responded at all full stop City penguin.

I think everybody can see we need strengthening up front, january window or not, we''ll need to go for a striker instead of faffing around like last time

could we have simply completed a deal already? play on words potentially.

plenty of time yet!