Sign in to follow this  
Baracouda

Hindsight is great, but money well spent.

In the summer there was lots of questions, why we have bought Bunn, and whether he was needed, along with ''waste of money''.

With the benefit of hindsight and Ruddy is out of 3months (hope he recovers quickly, and quickly regains his current form).

What is everyone''s opinion on the transfer? and how would we all be feeling if Rudd was going to be first choice for next 3mths (or at least till January). [Don''t get me wrong, I believe Rudd has lots of potential]

Hindsight is 20/20, but to be prepared for the worst is what hughton has done and now people are starting to accept they were wrong in judging many of his calls.

simply put, if we had Rudd for 3 months, I''d SH** the bed. it could be bad for both parties. if he had a howler of a time it could shoot his confidence, which is not something that''s good in a young players growth, as well as many points down the drain.

if he does well, he gets us through to Ruddy coming back, but then we would have 2/3 of our keepers being sought after but more ''prestigious'' clubs.

I think Bunn did well tonight, he wasn''t called upon much but that is credit to the team as a whole. we need to keep the pressure off of him for a while like tonights game, like introducing a new fish into the tank.

I said on this very board in the summer that I found it weird Lambert never opted to buy an experienced number 2 last year. He got lucky that Ruddy only missed one league game last year, as a result of the red card v Chelsea.

It''s not an ideal situation, but injuries happen at all clubs throughout the season. We have adequate backup so we roll our sleeves up and get on with it.

As important as Ruddy has been, a goalkeeper should be easier to replace. Had it been Holt, Hoolahan, Tettey or Bassong, than I may have thought differently!

I wasn''t the only one to argue this at the time and I got very frustrated with all the whinging about wasting £1m on a sub goalie when we have two such promiosing youngsters.  It was always obvious that this could happen and that we would be very exposed with just Rudd and Steer as our options.

I and the others who said this were shouted down by the "Hughton doesn''t know what he''s doing" and the "we need a striker more" groups but Hughton took an holistic view and his judgement is sadly vindicated by Ruddy''s misfortune.   Bunn looks good enough to do the job and we can go forward with confidence.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I wasn''t the only one to argue this at the time and I got very frustrated with all the whinging about wasting £1m on a sub goalie when we have two such promiosing youngsters.  It was always obvious that this could happen and that we would be very exposed with just Rudd and Steer as our options.

I and the others who said this were shouted down by the "Hughton doesn''t know what he''s doing" and the "we need a striker more" groups but Hughton took an holistic view and his judgement is sadly vindicated by Ruddy''s misfortune.   Bunn looks good enough to do the job and we can go forward with confidence.

[/quote]

I think it can be summed up by saying our Manager has had a lifetime in the game at the highest level, both as a player and in management. Most others haven''t.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

I think it can be summed up by saying our Manager has had a lifetime in the game at the highest level, both as a player and in management. Most others haven''t.

[/quote]

Agreed though I would add that respect for Hughton''s lifetime of experience and knowledge and also humility for their own lack of similiar qualities were two things sorely missing from many posts at that time.  Actually, looking at all the negativity and criticism today, they are still missing from many posts.

And before anyone has a go, I am not saying that we should be deferential and that Hughton is beyond critiscm.  I am saying though that the issues Webbo identifies are valid and that some much criticism would be better and more effective if it came from a position of more respect and humility.

Well, I said at the beginning of last season and this that Ruddy was not enough if he suffered a long-term injury. Hughton only did what was commonsense in signing experienced back-up. It would have been a disaster IMO to only have Rudd.  

I''m going to look at Ruddy''s injury as a blessing in disguise. This way, no one will bid for him in January (I hope) and it they will put any bids on delay until they''ve seen he recovers from injury.

That being said, I''d rather he was well and I hope he isn''t out for long.

And back on topic, really Chris Hughton is a very clever man indeed. Barr the Harry Kane loan, everything else seems to have fit into place like a jigsaw!

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"] And back on topic, really Chris Hughton is a very clever man indeed. Barr the Harry Kane loan, everything else seems to have fit into place like a jigsaw![/quote]

To be fair the only reason Kane looks liek such a bad decision is because he got unlucky with an injury that could of happened at any time to any player. Kane didn''t look bad when he came on (ok he did miss that chance late on against QPR or West Ham). Either way it''s not fair to say it''s been a bad decision by Hughton it''s just bad luck.

Davo

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]I''m going to look at Ruddy''s injury as a blessing in disguise. This way, no one will bid for him in January (I hope) and it they will put any bids on delay until they''ve seen he recovers from injury. That being said, I''d rather he was well and I hope he isn''t out for long. And back on topic, really Chris Hughton is a very clever man indeed. Barr the Harry Kane loan, everything else seems to have fit into place like a jigsaw![/quote]

And exactly what do you base that sweeping statement on? The player''s ability or the fact that he got injured?

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed though I would add that respect for Hughton''s lifetime of experience and knowledge and also humility for their own lack of similiar qualities were two things sorely missing from many posts at that time.  Actually, looking at all the negativity and criticism today, they are still missing from many posts.

And before anyone has a go, I am not saying that we should be deferential and that Hughton is beyond critiscm.  I am saying though that the issues Webbo identifies are valid and that some much criticism would be better and more effective if it came from a position of more respect and humility.

[/quote]

Now you really are being optimistic.