Sign in to follow this  
dpit

ugo ehiogu and kyle naughton

Ugo on Sky this morning and named him as best right back he has played with (although he spelled his name Norton). Quite an acolade given the teams he has played in. Made me realse just hiw much we''ve mssed him this year.

[quote user="dpit"]Ugo on Sky this morning and named him as best right back he has played with (although he spelled his name Norton). Quite an acolade given the teams he has played in. Made me realse just hiw much we''ve mssed him this year.[/quote]Agreed.  We certainly have.Russell Martin has been performing reasonably well I thought at RB, but I was surprised as anyone when he excelled in central defence last season and would prefer to see him there.Naughton was a different class at RB and I think his distribution is actually better than his club-mate Walker.

Hughton confirmed at the fans forum that we DID contact Spurs over the summer to see if a deal could be agreed, but the price they demanded was too high. A shame as he was the player I wanted at Norwich the most.

Would have been an incredible signing but sadly we couldn''t get it over the line. Obviously Spurs are well within their rights to keep him but he is far too good to not be playing week in week out. Spurs do seem to have a knack of doing this to young British players. I think at one stage Gareth Bale was on the verge of being sold to Nottingham Forest but an injury crisis meant Redknapp was forced to play him as a left winger. The rest is history really.

I can only echo what has been said about Russ on this thread and in previous threads. He has been steady at right back this season. But I thought he was a revelation at centre back last season. A partnership of Martin and Bassong would be very strong in my opinion. I think we slipped up by not signing Nathaniel Clyne. A young exciting full back in the Naughton mould who would have released Martin into the centre back position.

Totally agree, naughtiness was my pos last year. Excellent player and it is a shame that spurs wanted big bucks.

I agree that I think Martin proved he could be a great centre half he can communicate, has pace a bit of strength and I think it is a position that he can improve and actually be a recognised centre half in this league, at right back I think he is limited and would not improve as much as playing centre half.

We will see, but I do think naughton is missed, but then again blarney and bassong have built up a good partnership. We don''t have naughton so we have to play hard and then let''s see what happens I expect January to be busy

Naughton or Clyne would have been brilliant. Naughton is wasted at Spurs and the money we just tossed away on tug-boat Turner could have gone towards either player. Eurgh. Could have sold Chris Martin too (who isn''t exaclty playing anyway) and put the money towards it. Hell, we may as well have sold Vaughan and Ayala as they are useless to us by being away for the season. As you can tell...I''m unimpressed.But it''s not ALL doom and gloom..we have Steven Whittaker on a free, GET IN!

I agree naughton was class and like others felt he was the one we needed but not surprised if stayed once corluka left in the summer

As for Russ I thought he was good at centre back but only as the others were so poor. We don''t have a better right back so putting him in the middle does not really solve problem

We have 4 centres backs, we need to find the best. partner for bassong from the 3 we have or buy Golan

[quote user="Orly"]

Naughton was a different class at RB and I think his distribution is actually better than his club-mate Walker.
[/quote]

Naughton is definitely more of a thinking player than Walker.

Walker is all about his pace and power which makes up for a lack of ability and intelligence in other areas.

[quote user="York Canary"]Naughton or Clyne would have been brilliant. Naughton is wasted at Spurs and the money we just tossed away on tug-boat Turner could have gone towards either player. Eurgh. Could have sold Chris Martin too (who isn''t exaclty playing anyway) and put the money towards it. Hell, we may as well have sold Vaughan and Ayala as they are useless to us by being away for the season. As you can tell...I''m unimpressed.But it''s not ALL doom and gloom..we have Steven Whittaker on a free, GET IN! [/quote]
Someone has to want him first. 

Palace wanted Martin.

He was top scorer, playing behind the striker/AM for a mid table side who didn''t score that many, only being there 2/3 of the season. But don''t let that stop anyone from their over the top Martin bashing, he is of course League One at best, despite the fact/opinion that he''s always played well at Championship level, he''s just never going to score as many goals as some expect because he''s not that type of player, but some people are stuck in the dark ages and think a forwards only job is to hit the back of the net, and if they don''t do so 20+ times a season they are rubbish,

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Palace wanted Martin.

He was top scorer, playing behind the striker/AM for a mid table side who didn''t score that many, only being there 2/3 of the season. But don''t let that stop anyone from their over the top Martin bashing, he is of course League One at best, despite the fact/opinion that he''s always played well at Championship level, he''s just never going to score as many goals as some expect because he''s not that type of player, but some people are stuck in the dark ages and think a forwards only job is to hit the back of the net, and if they don''t do so 20+ times a season they are rubbish,[/quote]
I''ve actually always liked Chris Martin and have viewed him as a very handy player at championship level and someone who will not disgrace himself at a premier league level. I''m just pointing out that to sell C.Martin someone needs to want to buy him. The fact that he''s still here, despite not being involved too much, indicates that no bids were made. Or that Chris Hughton rates him. Or that the bids were lower than our value of Martin. Or anything really. It''s all well and good suggesting Martin be sold, but a club has to make the offers for him to be sold. Although I think his contract is up at the end of the season so he may just be released.

It wasn''t a direct go at you Gareth, I did think perhaps your comment was just a simple statement.

But some people do think like that.

I think there was probably some interest in Martin, at least from Palace. But I honestly don''t think Hughton wanted to sell him (didn''t he want him at Brum anyway?) he''d have seen Wilbraham and what he gave to the team, and would have seen that Martin wasn''t actually that bad when he played last season (was good against Chelsea, as good/bad as anyone else against WBA and did well enough against a tough Stoke defence). I think many supporters expect the wrong things from him, so he never lives up to expectation.

And i''m almost certain there was interest for him in January. Probably some in the summer. I''m also a firm believer that his loan move was just to get him football as Lambert couldn''t use his limited ability as a striker last season. But he didn''t sell him in January. Maybe it was just because he saw he was doing well at Palace and thought he could get a bigger fee in the summer. But now Hughton has decided not to sell him, I imagine it would be very easy to sell him to a mid table Championship club, if not promotion contender.

When did ehiogu play with naughton? Leicester? Sheff utd?

After the season he had last year there was no way he was coming back, maybe in January though on loan if his chances are limited at spurs?

When did ehiogu play with naughton? Leicester? Sheff utd?

After the season he had last year there was no way he was coming back, maybe in January though on loan if his chances are limited at spurs?