Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Why the need for a new striker?

Last season we scored a total of 52 goals last season. We had 13 different players on the scoresheet. Of them 13 players only 2 have left - De Laet & Wilbraham who scored 1 each.

We have more creativity (snodgrass, Butterfield) than last season, the same 3 strikers who scored 27 goals (over half) of our goals.

Hughton looks like he is going to try and make us harder to score against so we wont even have to score as many if we keep more clean sheets!

Most teams do have 4 ''main'' strikers (man utd for example - Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, Chicharito) last season we had 4 strikers (Holt, Moro, Jacko, Vaughan) Vaughan didn''t play due to injury so really we stayed up with 3 strikers. Afterall thats the aim this season just to stay up, why not just stick with 3?

"Afterall thats the aim this season just to stay up"

since when ?

the aim is to finish as high up as possible, as it was last season

[quote user="City1st"]

since when ?

[/quote]

No, no, no! IF you offer hughton the 17th finish now or to complete the season he would take 17th. Thats all the club want to do, get the huge amount of TV money!

We need a new striker as we can''t rely on Holt and Morison to score 23 Premier League goals between each other this season like they did last. It''s a massive ask of them!

Banana, did you go to the game last night? It was so evident and re-assuring that the need for one and I for one think even TWO strikers is obvious. We have lost Wilbraham and Vaughan whom both were preferred to Jackson and Martin and sometimes Morrison at some stages of the season when Lambert was in charge and come on.. Even with the goals Steve scored in the first half of the season, the performances and pre-season he has showed since has only assured us that he is nothing more than a handy long ball striker in the championship.

What nonsense, you are guessing to back up and unfounded claim

Check last season and understand why we finished where we did.

ps how do you aim for 17th when it is mid season and you are 9th .... tell the players to start losing !

The club recieves an extra £800,000 for every extra place above 20th place, that is why we earned an extra £4m last season and that is why we will continue to aim for that extra prize money

With Vaughan and Wilbraham going I''d definitely feel more comfortable with some reinforcements up front. I actually think Holt and Jacko could make a decent partnership at this level, but Holt has barely missed a game through injury in his 3 years at the club (aside from the operation at the end of the L1 season once the title was wrapped up), likewise Jacko in his 2 years. The law of averages suggests that this is unlikely to continue. Jacko is also still relatively unproven although I think he''s capable of reaching double figures given a run in the side. I like Chris Martin, but I''m not sure if he''s capable of making enough of a contribution in the ''goals for'' column and thus far Moro hasn''t shown any signs of rediscovering his pre Christmas form which makes me think that if we go into the 1st half of the season as we are it won''t be for the lack of trying.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="City1st"]

since when ?

[/quote]

No, no, no! IF you offer hughton the 17th finish now or to complete the season he would take 17th. Thats all the club want to do, get the huge amount of TV money!

[/quote]

It''s about moving forward Nana. If the club continually aims to progress there''s margin for error. If we aim to stand still the most likely outcome is we slip back. Which is what happened when we lost our ambition in the champs a few years ago. Aim for 17th and there''s NO margin for error!

The aim should be to continually improve the squad. Need is not perhaps the right choice of word, but there is no doubt we could improve on what we have up front and set our targets for the season a bit higher. Would you put your money on Holt / Moro / Jackson scoring the same aggregate as they did last year. I wouldn''t because I think we will play more defensively. I can see occasions where we may only score 1 or 2 goals over a 4 game period, and as confidence erodes in some players you need quality options. We need the likes of Holt fearing for his place and putting in the same extra work as he did last season when his position came under threat.

Again it comes down to the type of forward that should be brought in

a bruiser like Holt, a pacey chap like Jackson or an old fashioned goalmpoacher ... someone who may not do much (or appear to) but pops up where needed and scores

much of that will depend on what Euro suggests ie how Hughton plays this season

Because we need to add quality, we have strikers but we need to bring in that new number 2 striker who has the potential to be number 1 through this season.

Silly comment you need continual improvement.