Sign in to follow this  
Shyster

How many DMC's wear/wore the number '5' shirt?

Well, the legendary Redondo of Real Madrid did and he exemplified the qualities of a traditional Argentine ''5'' - he worked from behind the action funneling the ball around the attack, creating plays using his vision and on occasion his speed - exactly the kind of player we lacked last season.Bassong has been appointed the number ''5'' shirt - he''s no Redondo and we ''aint Real Madrid, but does Hughton have Bassong playing in the said role in mind or am I completely wide of the mark?

[quote user="djc"]

Wide.

Bassong is a central defender.

[/quote]

Bassong played as DMC for the French under 21''s.Question is, did Hughton ever field him as DMC at Newcastle?

SB has played DM.  Could do so again if Turner proves to be competent.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="djc"]

Wide.

Bassong is a central defender.

[/quote]

Bassong played as DMC for the French under 21''s.

Question is, did Hughton ever field him as DMC at Newcastle?
[/quote]

Hughton was only the assistant at the time at Newcastle (but would have course seen if Bassong could play that way in training).

I''d expect to see Bassong in central defence for now, but he may move forward if needs be.

We''ve obviously forked out a fair bit of money to get Bassong here. He''s going to play in what he believes to be his best position.

[quote user="GJP"]We''ve obviously forked out a fair bit of money to get Bassong here. He''s going to play in what he believes to be his best position.[/quote]

What like Snodgrass against Fulham?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="GJP"]We''ve obviously forked out a fair bit of money to get Bassong here. He''s going to play in what he believes to be his best position.[/quote]

What like Snodgrass against Fulham?
[/quote]

Clearly there were big differences between their circumstances when they signed for us.

I would bet Bassong has asked for some assurances as to where he will play and what will be asked of him before he made the move.

I don''t expect to see Bassong playing as a defensive central midfielder (although it should be noted that Ayala has been spotted playing that role for Forest) but the point you make is an interesting one. In the early 2-3-5 formations the centre half would wear the number five shirt and as the offside law was changed in the 1920s the centre half in English football dropped back in between the two full backs to become the stopper. Outside of the English game where a more technical possesion game flourished the attcking centre half was more common with the ''5'' probably being the second most important player to the Argentinians (behind the ''10'' of course). Redondo was a fabulous player and a perfect example.I''m surprised that we have not attempted to sign a defensive midfielder to do what Shyster mentioned in his original post as it was clear that we lacked this last season. Somebody who can both protect our creaky defence by reading the game well and covering danger with a well timed tackle but can also get us moving by accepting the ball from our defenders and setting our tempo. Fox has the passing range but probably lacks the defensive ability, Johnson is not quite mobile or tactically disciplined enough and Howson is better in a more advanced role. I guess the problem is that we lack spending power and/or the scouting network to pick up such a player as they tend not to be found too often in the lower leagues of English football. Hopefully Ewen Chester and his scouts will be able to unearth this sort of player in the future as they could be the key to improving our defensive displays without sacrificing too much of our attacking intent.

I expect he will be played mainly at CB. He can play DM and, from listening to his interview today, it seems he can play LB, while that was where AVB was playing him in some of the pre-season games

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

What''s a DMC?

[/quote]

It''s the guy who did those songs with that other guy called Run.

[/quote]

I remember the one they did with Aerosmith, but how did they become associated with football, I can''t ever recall any of them wearing a number 5 shirt, lots of black clothing and hats but no numbers.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I don''t expect to see Bassong playing as a defensive central midfielder (although it should be noted that Ayala has been spotted playing that role for Forest) but the point you make is an interesting one. In the early 2-3-5 formations the centre half would wear the number five shirt and as the offside law was changed in the 1920s the centre half in English football dropped back in between the two full backs to become the stopper. Outside of the English game where a more technical possesion game flourished the attcking centre half was more common with the ''5'' probably being the second most important player to the Argentinians (behind the ''10'' of course). Redondo was a fabulous player and a perfect example.I''m surprised that we have not attempted to sign a defensive midfielder to do what Shyster mentioned in his original post as it was clear that we lacked this last season. Somebody who can both protect our creaky defence by reading the game well and covering danger with a well timed tackle but can also get us moving by accepting the ball from our defenders and setting our tempo. Fox has the passing range but probably lacks the defensive ability, Johnson is not quite mobile or tactically disciplined enough and Howson is better in a more advanced role. I guess the problem is that we lack spending power and/or the scouting network to pick up such a player as they tend not to be found too often in the lower leagues of English football. Hopefully Ewen Chester and his scouts will be able to unearth this sort of player in the future as they could be the key to improving our defensive displays without sacrificing too much of our attacking intent.[/quote]

Thank you, Shack, great minds think alike - ''least those with a superior knowledge of football think along the same lines -- looks like the much needed DMC is on his way here in the form of Lucas Biglia [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img] A DMC with all the right credentials at that.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

and Biglia wears a number 5 shirt...

Were you trying to tell us something Shyster? [;)]

[/quote]

And he''s Argentinian [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]