Sign in to follow this  
djc

Euros : Greece

Playing reallybad. Wonder if its on purpose??

Surely even Lambert''s Villa could possibly do better.......

Aye,poor reffing.Let''s hope that''s the first and last,but i doubt it.

Sloppy from Greece.

What we''re seeing with Greece is a complete tactical failure. Greece''s strategy is to sit deep and defend, reclaim possession and advance the ball quickly to one of Samaras or Gekas, who then win fouls and create set piece opportunities. The 2004 Greek side were especially good at creating chances from set pieces and keeping clean sheets with their slim lead. That strategy hasn''t changed for the Greeks, however because the Poles scored first, that strategy has to change, but the Greeks are just not good at breaking down sides, they have one player who can potentially cause problems (Ninis) but he has not seen the ball enough and has been poor when he has got the ball. Add in the fact that Poland  specialize at counter-attacking and this game has only got one result for me at the moment.

Just witnessed a blinder by the Greek manager there. Taking off the more creative Ninis for Salpigidis (who made up for a lack of creativity with energy and pace) was a great move, suddenly Greece had a genuine wide player stretching the play and making diagonal runs along Poland''s defence which allowed him to score twice (one being offside). Fortounis was another inspired choice, showed more technical ability in his 22 minutes than any other Greek player on the pitch.
Poland looked tidy in possession, but struggled to create chances in the second half. I should stress that once the Greek''s had pulled one back, Polands biggest strength (counter-attacking efficiency) was wasted and this Poland side really aren''t meant for breaking teams down with possession play. Greece''s defensive shape in the second half was top notch so better teams than Poland would struggle to break them down.
Decent start to Euro 2012, in a (relatively) exciting and very controversial game, this is a good start to what I hope will be a fantastic competition.  

[quote user="1eed5canary"]And I got them in the sweepstake 😱😱😱[/quote]

They are looking pretty good at the moment[Y]

Not as bad as Czech rep. If they don''t buck up I can see them shipping 5 or 6. How narrow do they want to defend!?