Sign in to follow this  
Cardiff City fan

Malky Mackay

First of all I would like to congratulate you all after your fantastic first season in the prem and good luck for the future.Onto what I wanted to talk about. Malky Mackay. A lot of speculation coming from our side that Malky is being lined up to be your next manager. I really hope you don''t go for him, he has been great for us this season and has got a real team spirit instilled in the team which we have not seen for a long time.I wanted to know how many of you would like Malky as your next manager and if you think there is any truth on the rumours. Also if he did leave Cardiff and go to Norwich how do you think he would do for you?He has worked wonders with our team this season. He has had to trim the wage bill and get a whole new team together. All of us Cardiff supporters were hoping for mid table finish before the start of the season but Malky guided us to a cup final and a play off place. Would you lot like him at Carrow Road? I don''t want him to leave us, if he does go to you we want a big compensation package! [:D]

Represents too much of a gamble for me, no PL experience compared to a Hughton (admittedly he''s not got bags of experience), we''ll take him from ya when he''s acheived something with yourselves. *joking*

I personally don''t mind the idea at all, he has done pretty well in a couple of management roles and is a good guy with links to our club. I don''t see quite why some seem to consider this link to be a negative, I can''t see it anything other than as a positive. He''d certainly be on my short list.

How often has the appointment of an ex player actually worked though?

I''d happily have Malky as our new manager, if it weren''t for the thought that if it all went wrong he''d be risking his legendary status here.

I dont think he would be as popular choice as the media seem to be making out , also today Sky said he would be a popular choice with the players , why ? i can only think of Drury who would have been around while Malky was here.

Yes i''d have him, he is young, passionate about the club and like you say instills the same work rate and team spirit in the side that made Lambert so successful here. Why do Scotland have so many decent managers?! is it the accent or something?

People have unfairly compared him to the Bryan Gunn appointment, but Mackay has plenty of pedigree and like it or not, we are not the biggest team in the premiership and Mackay wouldn''t be beneath us. I felt that he as unfinished business here, he is another proven winner and he should have been retained when we got promoted a few years back. We severely missed him in our back line that season.

I know what you''re saying, Morty - Gunn, Megson, Deehan and Grant didn''t exactly work out, but O''Neill was doing well until he realised Chase had lied to him. Malky would be different to the others, as has experience that was lacking in the others, it does feel unfair to use it as a negative against him.

But anyway, Chris Goreham seems to think it''ll be Hughton so it might well be a moot point!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I know what you''re saying, Morty - Gunn, Megson, Deehan and Grant didn''t exactly work out, but O''Neill was doing well until he realised Chase had lied to him. Malky would be different to the others, as has experience that was lacking in the others, it does feel unfair to use it as a negative against him.

But anyway, Chris Goreham seems to think it''ll be Hughton so it might well be a moot point![/quote]No, you''re right, it shouldn''t be used as a negative.Somebody said earlier though, would we even be considering him, had he not played for us? Would he be on anyones list?I''m not so sure.

I''d actually say ''yes'' he would be on my list, as would each of the ''near-miss'' managers who got their sides to the playoffs from this season''s Championship campaign (Cardiff also got to the League Cup final), so Malky would be alongside Holloway and Hughton on my short list :-)

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''d actually say ''yes'' he would be on my list, as would each of the ''near-miss'' managers who got their sides to the playoffs from this season''s Championship campaign (Cardiff also got to the League Cup final), so Malky would be alongside Holloway and Hughton on my short list :-)[/quote]Fair enough[Y]

CCF, yes, I would take himn of your hands if I had a choice.

We forget that PL had no premiership experience until he guided us to the EPL.

I trhink Malky has shown the necessary man management skills in his time with Watford and Cardiff and is used to working in clubs with minimal funds and has done well. Plus, throw in the romantic notion of him returning here and the fact that he might actually have some loyalty to the club, would be a good choice in my opinion.

[quote user="morty"]How often has the appointment of an ex player actually worked though?[/quote]Dave Stringer didn''t do too badly, did he?[:D]And what about Martinez at Wigan? And Kenny Dalglish first time around at Liverpool?

[quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="morty"]How often has the appointment of an ex player actually worked though?[/quote]Dave Stringer didn''t do too badly, did he?[:D]And what about Martinez at Wigan? And Kenny Dalglish first time around at Liverpool?

[/quote]I actually asked the question as I didn''t know.If I could be bothered I''d google how many times it has gone horribly wrong.But I can''t lol.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="morty"]How often has the appointment of an ex player actually worked though?[/quote]Dave Stringer didn''t do too badly, did he?[:D]And what about Martinez at Wigan? And Kenny Dalglish first time around at Liverpool?

[/quote]I actually asked the question as I didn''t know.If I could be bothered I''d google how many times it has gone horribly wrong.But I can''t lol.

[/quote]Actually, since I posted that, I have thought of a load of totally disastrous appointments of ex-players, not just here but other clubs too.It can work sometimes, but you need to guard against being sentimental about former players. You could get a Dave Stringer, but equally you could end up with a Bryan Gunn. That''s my main worry over Malky Mackay, but I can''t see McNally and Co falling into the sentimentality trap. They will only go for him if they are convinced he is good enough.In McNally we trust[:)]

[quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="morty"]How often has the appointment of an ex player actually worked though?[/quote]Dave Stringer didn''t do too badly, did he?[:D]And what about Martinez at Wigan? And Kenny Dalglish first time around at Liverpool?

[/quote]Actually, since I posted that, I have thought of a load of totally disastrous appointments of ex-players, not just here but other clubs too.It can work sometimes, but you need to guard against being sentimental about former players. You could get a Dave Stringer, but equally you could end up with a Bryan Gunn. That''s my main worry over Malky Mackay, but I can''t see McNally and Co falling into the sentimentality trap. They will only go for him if they are convinced he is good enough.In McNally we trust[:)][/quote][Y]

I would have Malky because the bloke is a pure winner, a great man manager, and twice he has made do with f all money and done wonders.

Watford, no money. Cardiff, no money. I''d love to see what the man could do with £15m and a team with Howson, Hoolahan, and Pilkington in it.

I just read that he has 4 years left on his contract with Cardiff and they will fight to keep him. Seems like he might be quite expensive to bring in.

I have to say though, I''m coming round to the idea of him as manager. Bringing in Ex players is a bad idea when it''s done on grounds of sentimentality, however he has done very well at 2 quite different clubs. At Watford he took a very young team expected to finish bottom or thereabouts and ended up respectably mid table. At Cardiff he had to rebuild a team over the summer while reducing the wage bill and still managed to get in the playoffs and a cup final. From what I''ve seen his teams play decent football, but he isn''t afraid of being pragmatic if necessary.

The only thing that worrys me really is that both at Watford and Cardiff his teams experienced quite long patches of very poor form, something we won''t be able to afford.