Sign in to follow this  
ontheballcity.com

Lambert < Lambert with Culverhouse.

http://www.ontheballcity.com/lambert-for-the-outsiders-looking-in/

Here''s our latest article, regarding the Lambert situation. Focussing around the idea he would NOT be as successful without Ian Culverhouse, whose affiliation to Norwich may play some part in any potential move...

Sorry but if Lambert goes, Culverhouse and Karsa will go with him. People overestimate the level of loyalty ex players might have. They work as a team and they will move as a team.

That may be so Jim but isn''t always that way. John Bond / Ken Brown spring readily to mind. And it would depend on personal ambitions.

Culverhouse could work very well. He would seem to have a similar ethos as Lambert, so could hopefully keep the continuity of our style of play going. He also doesn''t seem to be a sort of play second fiddle in the background assistant, he seems to almost be an equal to Lambert, so I think he could make the step up to management fairly easily if he so wished. On the other hand, he could be a disaster. If you''re playing the percentages game as a director appointing a manager, you''re more likely to go for someone with a record already.

But Culverhouse being offered the managers job is the only way I can see him staying here. Firstly, why would a new manager want him to stay as assistant? A new manager will have his own people who work his way. He won''t want someone like Culverhouse trying to impose his style of coaching onto the new manager''s ethos. Secondly, if Culverhouse wants/has no choice but to stay as an assistant manager, why would he not go with Lambert? If Lambert leaves, it will be because he thinks there is more success to be had at Villa than there is here. Culverhouse would be stupid to stay if that is the case. His links with Norwich are not the same as, say, Gunn. Where has Culverhouse been ever since? He hasn''t had any link with the club between leaving as a player and returning now, so that suggests he hasn''t got any strong feelings towards us.

I''d be very surprised if he doesn''t follow Lambert for a good long time yet.

*Culverhouse could work very well as manager that was meant to read.

I''m sure he''ll go with Lambert if he goes, but I would love to have Culverhouse at the club still, manager or otherwise, if PL does leave...

Throwing another angle on this

What if Lambert is interested in the Villa job and then chats this through with Culverhouse who says he is not prepared to leave Norwich for Villa - given the bond between the two may be this could lead to Lambert seeing the light and deciding to stay put