Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

A little bit of perspective..

I was just sat here watching the Villa game again and Howson and Johnson have just put together a beautiful passage of play between them.. It go me thinking about the Leeds lads and the possibilities of Snodgrass which got me thinking about the potential new signings we''ll bring in this season.

I know there are some grim rumours about but a little bit of perspective: We finished strongly in the Premier League with a great group of YOUNG players who can only get better.

We''re sure to bring in some more talent this summer.

It made me smile at least :)

"We finished strongly in the Premier League with a great group of YOUNG players who can only get better."

Add to that the point that, whilst not being as loaded as some prem sides, we are probably in one of the better positions in terms of debt, we''ve got a board who aren''t overly interfering, we''ve got a season''s worth of tv revenue in our pockets, and we''ve pretty much had sell out crowds for the past however many years now.

Even if we have to bring in a new manager and a new striker next season, why on earth people think we are an unattractive prospect who won''t be able to attract anyone of any calibre is beyond me!

[quote user="Aggy"]" Even if we have to bring in a new manager and a new striker next season, why on earth people think we are an unattractive prospect who won''t be able to attract anyone of any calibre is beyond me![/quote]

I think that might be a little unfair, Aggy.  It does not take a HUGE leap of faith to see why so many are worried about the future should PL and GH up sticks and go. With these two at the club, pretty much everything has been superb, and , I guess, what people are concerned about is whether we''d have the ability to attract anyone of a remotely similar calibre to Carrow Rd, particularly with the budget available. If we are all honest, most of us are rather conservative (with a small"c"), and of the "if it aint broke, don''t fix it " persuasion. We also have been around long enough to remember some of the more disastrous appointments made in the recent past (no names, no pack-drill.).

Personally, I''m largely with you on this one, and, in Mc Nally, we are fortunate enough to have someone running the show who I''d trust to appoint the right people. But....I can fully sympathise with those who are a little less trusting.

I agree with all the above and considered the debt thing the most positive aspect of our position now. All the other factors, including the Owners (IMO), McN and Bowkett, the players, the support and a super set-up must surely outweigh these two ''potential'' set-backs. Nb.''potential.'' 

To cheer ourselves up a bit further, we only have to peruse the dire situation 40 miles of bad road south.

I don''t know if many on here visit Ip---t forums. I visit both the Tractorboys and TWTD (Those Were the Days) on a daily basis. I know some Canary fans would ridicule this habit, but maybe they have less time on their hands than I do nowadays. I have never actually posted on these two sites as there is no real need, but they are fun, at best informative and at worst disallusioned nonsense. To see how the other side think can be fun.

The Tractor Boys are, of course, having a field day at the moment. Recent years of total envy have turned into an orgy of gloating. Many who had previously expressed nothing but derision for the talents of Grant Holt are now in ecstacy at the prospect of us losing him. Their jealousy is such that such contradictions abound. There is no logic, just venom.

Yet, and back to the O/P''s positiveness about the position of our Club, ITFC is a football club that exists in it''s past. Years of stagnation in mid-table Championship obscurity have diluted all  prospect of logical thinking. They see Marcus Evans as their saviour and have no worry that their club are in hock to this dubious and anonymous individual to the tune of £60m+, they are convinced that their mediocre squad of ageing players will reach a top six position next season and that has-been Jewell will lead them there. In the meantime gates dwindle (12, 500 season tickets sold compared to our uptake,) and the terraces are a dull place to be on most match days. The standard of football is , at best, functional.

By comparison, NCFC is a club that looks towards a bright future and the whole set-up is geared to progress sufficient enough to ensure that supporting the team will be a worthwhile experience for the forseeable future.

PL and Grant H, please stay even though our healthy survival does not depend upon your respective loyalties. We would rather thrive with you than without you.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I don''t know if many on here visit Ip---t forums. I visit both the Tractorboys and TWTD (Those Were the Days) on a daily basis.[/quote]

..........and I bet you feel dirty aftewards.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I don''t know if many on here visit Ip---t forums. I visit both the Tractorboys and TWTD (Those Were the Days) on a daily basis.[/quote]

..........and I bet you feel dirty aftewards.

[/quote]

[:)][:)][:)]

Yes, I can sympathise with those who have slight worries. But then there are a fair few on here who are far from having slight worries. Even I am slightly worried about when they both go (whether that''s this season or the future) - as you say, if it isn''t broke, don''t fix it, and at the moment things are going well. When they do go, we''re going to have to make a decision which could go badly and could go well. People worried like that I have no issue with.

However, a fair amount on here seem to think there are no other decent managers even remotely interested in managing us and we''ll never see a striker even half as good as Holt playing in the yellow and green ever again. I know most of it isprobably just heat of the moment stuff, but I just don''t understand how some people get so overly worked up about stuff! Still, each to their own.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]. They see Marcus Evans as their saviour and have no worry that their club are in hock to this dubious and anonymous individual to the tune of £60m+, they are convinced that their mediocre squad of ageing players will reach a top six position next season and that has-been Jewell will lead them there.[/quote]Shame their manager has stated that they will be aiming at a mid table finish next season, which suggests the recent messages coming out of poorman road about Jewell looking for bargains and having to cut back further point to things being even more desperate than most are aware of.The funniest though, is the dimwitted hillbillies thinking that should they get promoted they could clear their £70m plus debt. Even at £10m a season it will take eight years (compound interest) and there is no way you can allocate that type of money on debt repayment and hope to stay in the Premier League for too long.In fact I doubt whether their threadbare squad, patched up this summer with castoffs and freebies, will stay too long in the Championship either. If only we had got ourselves in such a parlous state that we hand to hand our club over to an ''hinvestor'', we too could be sat in a half empty stadium with over 10% of the football league (72 clubs) debt owed by us. As it we are stuck in the Premier League having earned over £70m last season, looking to not only clear all our debts but develop a top class youth set up and massively increase the ground capacity.Poor us.

Do you think that we will be back in for Snodgrass this summer then?I do hope so and that we can get a decent ball playing central midfielder who is hard in the tackle, good in the air and can give Fox a run for his money in the way he distributes the ball.

[quote user="Lammy"]Do you think that we will be back in for Snodgrass this summer then?I do hope so and that we can get a decent ball playing central midfielder who is hard in the tackle, good in the air and can give Fox a run for his money in the way he distributes the ball.[/quote]

I don''t know. He certainly would fit with the team. It''s a beautiful thing to think that we''re in pole position to sign players like that. Although after Johnson and Howson came across I can''t see Leeds being very popular with their fans if they let another one of their best players come over.

I can''t believe the lack of doomsday posting in this topic! Good show!