Sign in to follow this  
smooth

Performance worthy of more, mistakes and how we respond

Peroformance was superb, yes we took our time, but we held possession well and posed questions on a man u team who did not look like a team worthy of second in the league.

I do think the 4-4-2 is best and I was surprised when we reverted to the 4-5-1 with Hoolahan coming on but it did quash a man u team who would have had a rollocking at half time, Bennett added a width and certainly when Pilky came off we then had two men to target in the box.

We are at our best with boxes into the box, we tested man u on every corner with Ward and Whitbread joining the attack. Certainly we need to play that system.

The performance was superb, we lifted (the cup is forgotten, as it should be) and now we have a number of players itching to play. They performed against one of the best teams in the country, so we should now take that inot our next lot of fixtures great reaction to the cup game.

Mistakes, well they certainly are highlighted when the performance is so good and against one of the best teams in the league. Fox losing Scholes, yes the rest of the coverage wasn''t great but Fox should not have allowed such a deep run into the box. The same with Giggs goal, you need to track back and clear your lines. We didn''t close down the player putting in a cross, which was Naughton but after we scored we reverted back to show why we should not sit back and invite pressure.

Man U in the first half were superb at moving our midfield to create spaces between them and the defence. By squashing them up and then bringing our midfield out. Our defensive line was not in line for a few of the early attacks but again we got through that. It is just the case that you have to execute and concentrate with real conviction until you hear the whistle, do not rely on it.

But a fantastic performance and now it will be interesting to see how we respond, there should be great bouyancy in the camp now, belief and eagerness to play the next game asap. In Lambert we have a coach who will get them ready for the next game against a tough Stoke team, but one where we shoudl relish the challenge, a point at the potteries is a good result. We have constantly responded under Lambert and I think that is testiment to the players and coaching team, I think we will respond positively from this performance and have the desire to finish off another game.

The performance was worthy of more, but not this time. As Lambert says, we move on. We have players eager and many ready to prove a point. We could do with another striker becoming that threat what better game than against a tough defensive unit to make a name for yourself bring it on.

Couldn''t agree more! Feel a bit sorry for Jackson, ran down lost causes, won plenty of free kicks in dangerous areas. Far more threatening than changing system Wes. Strange to think that plenty of the non-attending stream watchers seem to think we "let ourselves down"?

[quote user="Hugh J Wurzell"]Couldn''t agree more! Feel a bit sorry for Jackson, ran down lost causes, won plenty of free kicks in dangerous areas. Far more threatening than changing system Wes. Strange to think that plenty of the non-attending stream watchers seem to think we "let ourselves down"?[/quote]

You really are a knobhead!

I was surprised when we brought on Wes, I thought we would have continued as we were prvoing problems and whenever Jacko went out wide he was bringing the centre halves out of the box and allowing our midfielders to get into the box.

But the tactic worked brilliantly in quashing the Man U surge after half time and then changing it again later in the game. Real tactical genius and kept the Man U team very busy seeing how to stop us and get a foot hold on the game.

I do think Jacko worked very hard, never had an opportunity himself. He does need to carve open a opportunity however. I do think right now we are relying on G Holt and the need for that second striker to stand up is now. Jacko''s team game is good but we need a goal threat and maybe against the large centre halves at Stoke it could be that game. I will add however we are still at our best when we get quality in the box and two big men attack the ball. So it leaves us with a great selection headache as we have strikers ready to prove a point and a midfield that we can rotate for any type of game.

Certainly don''t think we let ourselves down, in the context of the whole season or at the fact we lost to Man U by one goal. I will concede it is an annoying goal to ''give'' to Man U but rather against them than a Wigan, Blackburn or Wolves. A point is not going to make a massive difference in the overall picture. But I will say that we have been consistent of picking up points throughout the season and I think the Stoke game has come at the right time. Boys can be pleased that they put in one hell of a game to the champions and had Sir Alex give such high praise as well as their own manager.

[quote user="Smokebomb"]I assumed Jackson must have had a knock, couldnt see any other reason for subbing him at half time, he was playing really well.
[/quote]........looked like a change of tactics to close down the space scoles was getting and it worked brilliantly, though playing diamond against a team like united could have been dangerous.

[quote user="star_manic"][quote user="Smokebomb"]I assumed Jackson must have had a knock, couldnt see any other reason for subbing him at half time, he was playing really well.[/quote]........looked like a change of tactics to close down the space scoles was getting and it worked brilliantly, though playing diamond against a team like united could have been dangerous.[/quote]

It did work, brave and great decision

I was surprised Jackson was taken off at half-time. He was causing their defence a few problems with his pace particularly providing outlets to each flank with his enthusiasm to chase. Hoolahan did not pose any such similar threat and this enabled United to push up more in the second half. They took more control of the game for a while but we came back superbly in the final twenty minutes. Wilbraham up front supporting Holt made a difference.The Holt goal and celebrations rank as one of the best moments I have experienced at Carrow Road for a very long time and a pity we concended again. Unfortunately Naughton had taken a bad knock which resulted in him not closing down Young as quickly as he normally would.

Bearing in mind we were playing one of the top Club Teams in the world we put in a wonderful team performance. I do not agree that United had an off day - we took the game to them and a draw would have been a much fairer result.

[quote user="Smokebomb"]I assumed Jackson must have had a knock, couldnt see any other reason for subbing him at half time, he was playing really well.[/quote]Fully agree. Awful tactical decision.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Yeah not like we scored when he wasn''t on the pitch....[/quote]See my post on the Jackson thread Ginger. Have you applied for a job at Radio Norfolk too?

You can say we might/would probably have scored, but the fact is, Lambert brought Hoolahan on for Jackson, later brought Bennett and and Wilbraham on, we scored, Man.U got yet another late winner.

Lambert didn''t get it wrong in my eyes, we didn''t play poorly in the second half, we actually started the first few mins very brightly, then Man.U took the sting out of the game for 10 or so mins, and we were back on top.

We lost 2-1 to Manchester United, we are Norwich City. That isn''t a bad result. We were good in the second half, Jackson didn''t score, or create any/many good chances in the first half (not to say he didn''t play well), perhaps Hoolahan didn''t do too much either, but still we weren''t in anyway worse in the second half, and to think that, well for me its just another person who doesn''t particularly like Hoolahan, trying to make out he''s useless again.

[quote user="The Gruffalo"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Yeah not like we scored when he wasn''t on the pitch....[/quote]

See my post on the Jackson thread Ginger. Have you applied for a job at Radio Norfolk too?
[/quote]

It''s yours. All you''ve got to do is take it.

People keep going on about this mythical diamond. When Hoolahoop came one it was 4-4-1-1 to cram the midfield more, something we should have done from kick off.Not a diamond in sight.[quote user="star_manic"][quote user="Smokebomb"]I assumed Jackson must have had a knock, couldnt see any other reason for subbing him at half time, he was playing really well.[/quote]........looked like a change of tactics to close down the space scoles was getting and it worked brilliantly, though playing diamond against a team like united could have been dangerous.[/quote]