Sign in to follow this  
Stuart Smith

Palace v norwich

I think we can get the first away win of the season and get back in contention for staying up. We will go into the game after beating the mighty man u and they have had a thrashing by everton. Worthy will be tellin the players that we have beatun man u we can do it here.

Palace top scorers

Johnson 18

Riihilahti 4

Granville 3

Francis 7

Huckerby 7

Mckenzie 5

Ashton 3

We have got the more all round attacking side and when johnson dont score palace wont score

2-0 to city

That''s the thing about palace- If AJ doesn''t score or plays badly, they struggle.  Bit like us last season I suppose.  When Hucks wasn''t quite on his game, we didn''t play as well or create as much.  The only trouble is AJ is an excellent player and on his day could run rings around our defence.  Lets hope Shacks can keep hold of him.  On that note I really hope Shacks does well.  He probably still has nightmares about Selhurst Park last year!  He played at left back and was truely awful all afternoon, knocking balls into the crowd left, right and centre!  He was a shadow of the player he is now though and I''m sure he''ll put those bad memories to bed on Saturday 

[quote]I think we can get the first away win of the season and get back in contention for staying up. We will go into the game after beating the mighty man u and they have had a thrashing by everton. Worthy ...[/quote]

Hold on! We need to get a bit of a reality check here. We haven''t won away all season, who says it''s going to change now? Fair enough the lads put in a magnificent performance on Saturday, which resulted in a deserved win, and with a much changed side. But which team will turn up this coming Saturday? I obviously hope that it''s going to be the heroes from Saturday, but with this club you never know. Palace are going to be well up for this as well, and will just love to bring us down to earth again, must say that I don''t think it will be easy and I''m hoping that we will nick it.

Must agree with you there Meeky - I am not even thinking of escaping relegation until after Saturdays game because come 5 o''Clock we could be six points behind Palace with only 5 to play so it is far from concluded yet.  I just hope we turn in a better away performance than we have done recently because the thing is we can beat them.  Delia also said what I have been thinking in that we never get any sort of result at Selhurst Park.  So I am still living in reality land which will maybe take a turn for the better on Saturday but I am not counting my chickens just yet.

Fantastic performance on Saturday though which has certainly shoved a couple of fingers up to a lot of people.  All them Man U fans (even those that live locally) that turned up expecting a hatful of goals from them.  And then we get them.  

if you dont believe, you wont achieve people! i cant wait to see leon and deano up front with hucks and bentley supporting. Bring on the palace!!!

I am not sure of the exact figures, but hasn''t AJ scored about 9 penalties this year. So that makes 9 from open play. Also they have just lost 4-0 to Everton and we beat MU. They can see us catching them and after the last results we will be feeling more confident than them. Leon and Deano on fire......lets be ''avin you!

Hold on  - only 7 away goals scored all season without even a sniff of a victory and suddenly we are going to win 4-2!!!    Hopefully the manure result will give the team a lift but this sort of unrealisic talk is simply preposterous; Dowie will know how important this game is and will ave the team fighting much more than against Everton and their home form is not too bad.  Throw in our truly truly appalling record at Selhurt Park and it does not look so hopeful for us. 

Fortunately they are now shipping goals like a sieve (or NCFC!) and we are at last looking like scoring in most games (at home anyway) and it is true that Palace are a 1 man team, it just whether we can avoid conceeding a penalty, keep on top of his movement (cant see Flem doing that having showed his inability on the opening day of the season), but the best hope is that we can restrict the supply to him. 

We CAN get a victory which would send an enormous message to the relegation battle, but it will be a harder gained victory than the surrender that we faced from the Manure 11 on Sat.  Talk of scoring 4 goals or an easy victory aare wide of the mark.

City (and fans) have gone into games complacent in the last couple of seasons (Bradford and watford last season & Fulham this spring to mind) and come seriously unstuck.

As long as Worthy keeps the team and tactics right with the right frame of mind we can win on sat - and to me that will be a better 3 points than those gained against Manure.

OTBC   

Let''s be honest, Andy Johnson is a huge threat to us (and any other defence come to that).

How to stop him - have Flem follow him round all afternoon, wherever he goes, hassle hassle hassle him - even if he drops  very deep for the ball.

Leave Helveg, Shacks and Drury as the "back three", Safri will be sat not far in front of them.

Shacks has to make sure he covers the full back if Routledge gets running with the ball and the other full back and Safri have to cover the space in the centre in that scenario.

That then gives Palace the problem of stopping us, if they give Hucks too much attention I am sure Bentley can take advantage and deliver some real quality balls for Deano and Leon.

Sounds simple I know, but honestly - football is a pretty simple game. As long as Flem does not allow Johnson to get away from him too often (and a few nudges/trips up by the halfway line when neccessary should help) we would be OK with this system. 

I''m looking forward to the game on saturday, Makes me laugh that some of you are pointing out that palace are a one man team. Seems you have forgotten about Routledge which is fine by me, i just hope NW does the same. We should also have Sorondo fit which will be a massive boost for the defence as he has been outstanding all season. Also Butterfield should come in at right back which is were we have struggled in the last few games.

Im confident that you wont score the 3 or 4 goals some of you are talking about. Both teams will be fired up, should be a cracking atmosphere but i imagine both sets of fans will be nervous, i know i am already!

"Makes me laugh that some of you are pointing out that palace are a one man team. Seems you have forgotten about Routledge which is fine by me,"

I did mention him mate, good player and you''re definitely not a one man team but in Andy Johnson you do have an outstanding player and if we can stop him I would suggest that our chances of winning are increased pretty dramatically.