Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

Surman

I can not make my mind up if Surman brings much to the team,yes he is skillfull but is very light weight and Sunday he looked lost as to where to play as he has done at other times.What is his best position?He has scored some good goals granted but looks suprised when he does I just wish he looked to get in the game more and when he tries to defend he is really not strong enough,even Wes has improved his defending  this season so it can be done but Surman seems to drift through games,he just seems to need a rocket up his a**e.

This board is slowly convincing me that we will need to replace our whole squad in the summer bar one or two players. This season is simply not good enough obviously!

This is a joke? One poor game doesn''t undo all the fantastic progress Surman has made in the last 2-3 months. He''s looked creative, incisive going forward and has helped create balance in midfield. For the Wigan game the team shape was all wrong, quite a few people were commenting at half time that we needed to introduce width.

If anyone was to blame for the slack midfield it is Crofts who is struggling to make an impact at this level, although still is a good squad member to have. I just don''t see how these arguments can be made towards the guy when he has offered so much to the team.

Everyone''s entitled to their opinion of course, but is there not room for the ''lightweight'' player who has been a big part of some of our better attacking moves? Does every player have to be from the Stoke like factory production line of six foot plus bruisers to get into the starting eleven?

Surman looking surprised when he scores has such a detrimental effect on the team. It just shows poor body language (you are menna'' enjoy scoring, right?) and clearly doesn''t fit in with Lambert''s ethos. Get rid.

I''ll point something out that has really impressed me this season with Surman. His first touch and when he receives the ball is sheer class. Especially against Man Utd I watched him receive the ball in an area where I thought was too tight or difficult to find space and thought he''d get closed down and tackled on his first touch. BUT, he seems to be able to get away from his marker and open up space when he recieves/turns on the ball. Similar to when a player does a reverse pass that you didn''t see coming which impresses you. He certainly didn''t have that last season (not saying he was bad but he''s worked on that aspect)

I''m rambling on, off to my bed I go

I''ve been really impressed with Surman this season. I must admit that I wasn''t really expecting that much from him but I think I was probably guilty of listening to too many posters who claimed he lacked the pace to play in the Premier League. He has a great first touch, an eye for a pass and is very disciplined tactically which more than makes up for him supposedly being ''lightweight''. I think he will continue to be a very important player for us next season too. Especially if we attempt to control games more through greater levels of possession as you might expect a team like us to attempt as we continue to improve.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I''ve been really impressed with Surman this season. I must admit that I wasn''t really expecting that much from him but I think I was probably guilty of listening to too many posters who claimed he lacked the pace to play in the Premier League. He has a great first touch, an eye for a pass and is very disciplined tactically which more than makes up for him supposedly being ''lightweight''. I think he will continue to be a very important player for us next season too. Especially if we attempt to control games more through greater levels of possession as you might expect a team like us to attempt as we continue to improve.[/quote]

Me too. He''s a clever player who can create and score. Like jackson he''s definitely toughened up as the season has gone by, although he is a little lacking in pace. However,the speed of his brain makes up for it. Sad that he''s getting stick from the "two poor games and you''re crap/shagging someone''s wife/uncommitted to the club" merchants.

It should also be added that he conistently covers more ground that others in the team, and in other teams. He may not be the swashbuckling box-to-box midfielders we think of conventionally, but he heads off the line and he scores at the other end. He gets through a mountain of work.

Wasn''t a fan before, but I was at the Wolves game where he got that goal and has never since looked back. I have been mightily impressed since then.

Like all of our midfield though, he is most effective in a certain system/selection. None of the midfielders are well rounded enough to be able to play anywhere, so sometimes the midfield might look lightweight (the diamond team selection against Wigan), others it might lack creativity (any formation with both Crofts and Johnson together).

For me, that''s what the midfield now needs; it doesn''t need like for like replacements other than possibly a really big destroyer type player in for either Crofts or Johnson (neither of whom I particularly rate). But other than that, the only addition I think we need is an all round midfielder, but maybe Howson will fit that role slightly more when fit.

Quality player.

Hasn''t really been in the last couple of games but before that he was in fine form and his work rate has been phenomenal.

Think there could be more to come from him though, he tends to take his goals very well so I wonder if he could add more goals to his game.