Sign in to follow this  
Andy Larkin

Our style of play…

Maybe someone has mentioned it before on here, I couldn''t find it by searching cos I''m lazy and didn''t really try too hard, but our style of play typifies our manager''s coaching education.We approach the games very much in the German manner… studious planning, attention to detail, a solid work ethic that is bigger than the individual and all about the team… and a beautiful lack of glitz. We don''t do Flash Harrys, we don''t do tantrums, we don''t do headlines.We do play with brain allied to brawn, we do try to dictate the tempo (where possible obviously, even the great German teams of the past haven''t always been able to fully dictate the game as they would like) and we are becoming masters at judging when to make a concerted push against an opponent.It is no coincidence when you consider the schooling of our manager… surely destined to become our best ever… the German game is written large all over Norwich City and I for one am most pleased about it… you always have to consider the German teams in any competition be that club or country.I probably haven''t explained this very well, but watching the Swansea game our approach and execution reminded me very much of the German national team… forensic analysis of the opposition, studious gameplan implemented and ruthlessly applied in a relentless way.I wonder just how far we could go with Herr Lambert at the helm? And wouldn''t it be a greater achievement as a manager to win the Champions League and the World Club Championship with an unfashionable provincial team rather than a heavyweight, bloated gravy train of a big city billionaire''s plaything?Ok, a bit over the top at the end there but you get my drift.Anyhow, that''s today''s brain fart out of the way. Feel free to pick holes in my analogy.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]

We approach the games very much in the German manner… studious planning, attention to detail, a solid work ethic that is bigger than the individual and all about the team… and a beautiful lack of glitz.

[/quote]

If you think that is how German teams play I suggest you watch some Bundesliga or the German national side.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]
And wouldn''t it be a greater achievement as a manager to win the Champions League and the World Club Championship with an unfashionable provincial team rather than a heavyweight, bloated gravy train of a big city billionaire''s plaything?

[/quote]

A refreshing change from the Blackpool scenario Andy[Y]

I wouldn''t argue with that. Andy is talking about the approach there - i don''t think anyone can say German teams aren''t meticulously prepared and drilled for each and every game, and i think you can see that in Lambert''s approach.

To be fair I used to watch quite a bit of the Bundesliga but haven''t had the opportunity this season… would you say German teams focus on the individual over the team then or play without planning and attention to detail? They certainly used to.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]To be fair I used to watch quite a bit of the Bundesliga but haven''t had the opportunity this season… would you say German teams focus on the individual over the team then or play without planning and attention to detail? They certainly used to.
[/quote]

Like every league it is hugely varied. Teams such a Borussia Mönchengladbach are well organised and hit on the break, but Koln are more a collection of talented players who don''t have such a careful plan. Looking at the bigger clubs like Munich and Dortmund - they are heavily reliant on the talents of their star players, Ribery and Robben at Munich and Kagawa and Goetz at Dortmund. I would say the Premier League is full of team with careful planning and attention to detail - Stoke, Everton, Fulham, Villa, Newcastle, Man United etc.

Looking at the national team, Low has built a system around Ozil and uses his individual talent to set up counter attacks.

I think a key point is the transition from defence to attack & making the most of possession. Germans are very pragmatic & that is clearly the case with Lambert.

Michael Cox the guy behind @Zonal_Marking wrote a cracking article on the styles of Swansea & Norwich recently.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7497382/swansea-norwich-bring-much-more-geography-prem-michael-cox

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]To be fair I used to watch quite a bit of the Bundesliga but haven''t had the opportunity this season… would you say German teams focus on the individual over the team then or play without planning and attention to detail? They certainly used to.[/quote]

Like every league it is hugely varied. Teams such a Borussia Mönchengladbach are well organised and hit on the break, but Koln are more a collection of talented players who don''t have such a careful plan. Looking at the bigger clubs like Munich and Dortmund - they are heavily reliant on the talents of their star players, Ribery and Robben at Munich and Kagawa and Goetz at Dortmund. I would say the Premier League is full of team with careful planning and attention to detail - Stoke, Everton, Fulham, Villa, Newcastle, Man United etc.

Looking at the national team, Low has built a system around Ozil and uses his individual talent to set up counter attacks.

[/quote]I doff my cap to you. I should re-write it as Lambert''s Norwich reminds me of how I remember the old German national team that had the spitty bloke in it used to play.I think our approach is like that… apart from the spitting!

I''d liken us more to the late 90''s Man United team - they were fairly direct but ruthlessly clinical. They weren''t a team of show ponies in my memory, but every player was exceptionally effective.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Maybe someone has mentioned it before on here, I couldn''t find it by searching cos I''m lazy and didn''t really try too hard, but our style of play typifies our manager''s coaching education.We approach the games very much in the German manner… studious planning, attention to detail, a solid work ethic that is bigger than the individual and all about the team… and a beautiful lack of glitz. We don''t do Flash Harrys, we don''t do tantrums, we don''t do headlines.We do play with brain allied to brawn, we do try to dictate the tempo (where possible obviously, even the great German teams of the past haven''t always been able to fully dictate the game as they would like) and we are becoming masters at judging when to make a concerted push against an opponent.It is no coincidence when you consider the schooling of our manager… surely destined to become our best ever… the German game is written large all over Norwich City and I for one am most pleased about it… you always have to consider the German teams in any competition be that club or country.I probably haven''t explained this very well, but watching the Swansea game our approach and execution reminded me very much of the German national team… forensic analysis of the opposition, studious gameplan implemented and ruthlessly applied in a relentless way.I wonder just how far we could go with Herr Lambert at the helm? And wouldn''t it be a greater achievement as a manager to win the Champions League and the World Club Championship with an unfashionable provincial team rather than a heavyweight, bloated gravy train of a big city billionaire''s plaything?Ok, a bit over the top at the end there but you get my drift.Anyhow, that''s today''s brain fart out of the way. Feel free to pick holes in my analogy.

[/quote]

Good post, Andy -- as with the Germans we do indeed incorporate a conservative approach to our style of play - that being incredibly disciplined and hard-working with intelligence as opposed to dim-witted risk-taking that comes via a gung-ho mentality brought about by excess liberalness.One example of the complete opposite to Lambert is Mark Hughes who seems to have learned f*ck all from his two year spell at both Barcelona & Bayern Munich - the vasts amount of money the latter has spent at clubs he''s managed with little success suggests that he has the mindset of a liberal like so many of his useless counterparts >(Keane, Ince, Strachen, Robson etc)Lambert is a studious man - during his playing days he clearly paid close attention where tactics and man-management were concerned - his central nervous system remains a sponge that absorbs further knowledge of the game whilst his counterparts brains have been long wrung dry - he has an eye for a player like the kestrel has an eye for a vole, yet the extra special ability of knowing how to nurture his prey rather than kill it.

[quote user="Shyster"]he has an eye for a player like the kestrel has an eye for a vole, yet the extra special ability of knowing how to nurture his prey rather than kill it. [/quote]Wonderful line to finish an excellent post Shyster. Well done. All those who criticise the Pink-Un tend to overlook little gems like this. [Y]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Shyster"]he has an eye for a player like the kestrel has an eye for a vole, yet the extra special ability of knowing how to nurture his prey rather than kill it. [/quote]Wonderful line to finish an excellent post Shyster. Well done. All those who criticise the Pink-Un tend to overlook little gems like this. [Y][/quote]

Well, thank you very much, Lap''s [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-22.gif[/img][img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-22.gif[/img]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Poetry, pure poetry Shyster but then Andy''s ''brain fart'' is quite interesting :-)[/quote]

Andy calling the contents of his post a ''brain-fart'' is clearly Andy being modest. Nay,  ''brain-farts'' for a posts are a plenty, such as BW''s for instance, and they do not provoke the high level of response I''ve previously contributed to this thread.Credit where it''s due to Mr Larkin for that [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Shyster"]he has an eye for a player like the kestrel has an eye for a vole, yet the extra special ability of knowing how to nurture his prey rather than kill it.
[/quote]

Wonderful line to finish an excellent post Shyster. Well done. All those who criticise the Pink-Un tend to overlook little gems like this. [Y]
[/quote]

In fact this whole thread is a good read.[Y]