Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Abandoned games, anyone remember this one

[quote user="willo2"]Great two games against Chelsea, I''m sure one of them featured on either Sportsnight/MidweekSports Special, would be great to see some footage. I also remember two games against Man Utd in the semi the following year, these were both on TV and the year after we went out to Wolves in the semi, again on TV, suer it was the grate Gerry Harrison commentating on this one..Slim chance but anyone seen any clips anywhere?[/quote]Haven''t found any clips but I''ve found this website that lists all games, including scores & goal scorers, shown on Match Of The Week from 1962 to 1983.http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/Anglia.html

Thanks will have a look.I used to love the Radio 2 music, take a listen......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiIt5lF1TUWould be great if Anglia could produce a DVD of the 70''s football, at Carrow Road, such great games etched i n the history of this club and they wee the only way of watching the games, unlike the media available now.

I''ve also found this on a Chelsea forum - quite funny"I was sick of the sight of Norwich by the time the tie was over.

We played them at the Bridge in the league 09 December 1972, beat ''em

3-1, then four days later we lost at home to them 0-2 in the League Cup

SF 1st leg. There were quite a few mouthy wurzels in the West Stand that

night, we spent most of the match trying to get in amongst them.

The second leg was on 20 December, and quite a few of us went up there.

As anyone who was around at the time will tell you, the fog came down so

bad in the second half that the game was called off. I''m not surprised,

seeing as they built their ground right next to a bleedin'' river. Score

at the time was 3-2 to the mangel worzels, so we got another chance - I

felt so sorry for Alan Hudson, I think that was the only time he''d

scored twice in a game for Chelsea!"
http://www.theshedend.com/topic/16890-norwich-in-the-fog/

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="PKC"]I well remember both games I stood in the Barclay towards the Main stand where it was partly uncovered. As a 13 year old those were magical days just promoted to division 1 for the first time and then a trip to Wembley.[/quote]

Thank goodness for you kiddo.[:)] I was thinking I''d become one of Tilly''s old wrinklies! We''ll fly the flag for the younger generation and at least we paid to get in Pete[;)] I was 16. I was in the Barclay behind the goal. I used to stand near Lily Kemp back then. God some of you lot are old[H]

[/quote]

Do you mind, I''m only in my middle sixties, but 21 in the head.

Cheeky Chelsea buggers, we might be close to the river (about a fifth of a mile at its closest-or is that way out?) but Stamford Bridge is certainly less than a miles from the Thames!

Peter Jones was a really good commentator; his voice had a warmth and a gravitas that current radio commentators such as Alan Green could only dream about. If you want to read a really good account of the 1959 cup run I can highly recommend his Giant Killers book.

PKC wrote: Peter Jones was a really good commentator; his voice had a warmth and a gravitas that current radio commentators such as Alan Green could only dream about. If you want to read a really good account of the 1959 cup run I can highly recommend his Giant Killers book.

Agreed PKC -and thanks to Purple Canary for the Youtube link. He dies quite young and suddenly. That voice - not a hint of the "I know everything" arrogance of Alan Green. I can hear Peter Jones saying: "And Kenny Foggo says thank you very much and slots home goal number two for Norwich.. (v Blackpool I think).

As a mere 62 year old I recall being asked by the tannoy after the midweek slaughtering of Burnley (promotion favourites that year) for a special announcement which told us we had signed the long awaited new striker from Rochdale - "for a club record fee" (£40,000 I think!) - one David Cross.

But what I want to ask those wrinklies following this thread - do you recall the match when full back Clive "Ted" Payne was played at centre forward by the soon to depart Ron Saunders. Who were we playing - and what was the spat with the chairman which led to Ted looking like a fish out of water? (This is not a quiz - I just want to know the answers!)

[quote user="yellow 63"]Binky,wouldn''t class myself to much of a wrinkly at 48 but think the game in question was Everton
[/quote]

It was. I had the (mis-)fortune to be there. We lost 3-1 to a poor Everton team. Our goal was an own goal. And there followed a stand-up row between Arthur South and Ron Saunders. South''s attitude was that he didn''t mind losing but minded very much losing so abjectly. I don''t think it was ever established whether South fired Saunders or Saunders walked out. Either way South headhunted John Bond. We still got relegated but by the end of the season it was plain we were improving.

As I remember it South and Saunders were pretty much at loggerheads right from when Watling resigned. The upshot of this was the events of that day.

What followed was absolutely amazing for us fans. A world cup winner playing for Norwich? Who''d have dreamt it!

For me, Sir Arthur was always THE MAN[Y]

Plenty of cushions hurled from the Main Stand round that time,be great if there''s any footage of a game with them flying around

Thanks for the replies. I was in the South stand and remember the nervous laughter as poor old Payne concentrated on not running off-side - and failing miserably - but had forgotten the details.