Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

A positive Norwich City thread... this should be interesting!

Norwich were second best tonight, it''s going to happen. I didn''t see anyones head drop, i thought the players played to the best of their ability. When you come up against a team worth millions and they click, this outcome is on occassion is bound to happen. Norwich players did NOT embarrass themselves or the club.I could start to respond to everyones quote and defend our players, do i thought i would write this. I''m very proud of our club and am annoyed at so much critisism. People will do well to remember how far we have come in a short amount of time and the position in the Premier league we currently aspire too.Well done Norwich, keep up the good work.(I hope to see some more positive replies?)

Agree with you my man, Spurs are one of the two best sides in this division and we didn''t disgrace ourselves.

If Surman''s freekick had gone in I think we''d have come away with a point in all honesty.

These arn''t the games that will decide if we stay in this league for next season.

Totally agree with you.

It was a new back four lining up with Drury not having kicked a ball (properly) in anger since March. Can''t remember much getting past him.

It seems the main moaners have been watching on the telly and appear to have developed a somewhat warped sense of reality!

Take Bale out of the team and there was really not much to choose between...

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]Totally agree with you.

It was a new back four lining up with Drury not having kicked a ball (properly) in anger since March. Can''t remember much getting past him.

It seems the main moaners have been watching on the telly and appear to have developed a somewhat warped sense of reality!

Take Bale out of the team and there was really not much to choose between...[/quote]Brighton Yellow, i don''t know if you know much about Bennett, but it was good to see him run at players tonight, i saw on another thread someone moaning about him, but i really believe he could be one for the future? He will get fitter and stronger, lets hope so?

My attempt to start a positive thread has turned into ''threads'', well its good to see that there is support out there, along with pride and passion.OTBC [:D]

CU - I haven''t actually lived in Brighton since March and had been travelling pretty religiously to Norwich matches most weekends so had not been following the Gulls to closely.

I do know that Brighton under Gus have been playing as a team to their respective strengths in a similar fashion to Norwich under Lambert.

Bennett was certainly improving steadily over time and was seen more and more as a key player by Gulls fans, however he was not a ''star'' with the likes of Lua Lua and Murray taking a lot of the headlines over past seasons.

Personally I have been very impressed with Bennett, more-so for his tracking back and tackling. Within a couple of minutes today he had won two 50/50''s and beaten Rose in the air.

He is also a very nice chap having met him recently and over time could be a real great as i''m sure a real relationship could develop as he is here for the long run.

I totally agree - I don''t understand why people are saying we were rubbish tonight - we werent! I personally thought we played very well and most teams would have got to 2-0 and accepted the loss and waiting for a thrashing. We didnt do that and were constantly trying to get at least a goal back till the final whistle.

Yes Tottenham were good but in my oppinion they werent the most amazing thing I have ever seen either - some of their attempts etc were dire imo. Shoot me down if u like!

I felt our main problem yesterday was the last kick at threat on goal. Had Morrison and Holt had more chances I think we could have easily come away with something.

I am proud of the lads, Onwards and Upwards!

OTBC!

I do think the formation was wrong last night. The midfield was key, & an extra enforcer (Johnson) would have given the likes of Modric (who was the key) a lot more to think about. So, it would have been 4-5-1 for me, with Holt (Hallowed Be His Name) coming on to score the winner! Because, strangely, I really did think we looked like keeping a clean sheet yesterday.

Oh well, onwards & upwards ...

Spurs are easily the best team to have come to CR this season, there movement and passing and everything.

My only moan is we did not really seem to have any width in the team, i thought surmans free kick had gone in at the time.

Some funny songs sang to spurs lol ''Your tottenham hotspur, you trash your own town''

Holt just seemed to keep moaning at Morison at the end.

How do people expect us to competr with players which are worth millions, look at Modric Chelsea were trying to buy him for 40 million or something, more then our whole squad and reserves put together.

A result against Fulham would be nice, wouldnt mind either Tierny or Drury playing.

The players who were stand out for me last night were Fox and his passing, Surman and also Drury.

Them three had to be the ''standouts'' for me and should be in contention for a starting place.

[quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]Spurs are easily the best team to have come to CR this season, there movement and passing and everything. My only moan is we did not really seem to have any width in the team, i thought surmans free kick had gone in at the time. Some funny songs sang to spurs lol ''Your tottenham hotspur, you trash your own town'' Holt just seemed to keep moaning at Morison at the end. How do people expect us to competr with players which are worth millions, look at Modric Chelsea were trying to buy him for 40 million or something, more then our whole squad and reserves put together. A result against Fulham would be nice, wouldnt mind either Tierny or Drury playing. The players who were stand out for me last night were Fox and his passing, Surman and also Drury. Them three had to be the ''standouts'' for me and should be in contention for a starting place.[/quote]

I would like to say that I agree with eveything you just said HDDH, except one.

"How do people expect us to compete with players which are worth millions". Personally, I find that measuring a player''s quality primarily by how much money was paid or offered for him to be almost meaningless and its a pet hate of mine as it is mentioned all the time. Afterall, would you prefer Torres over Holt or Morrison? Do you think Jordan Henderson is worth £20 million? Or the great Connor Wickham £8 million?

Player valuation does not always reflect quality, but only what someone is willing to pay- there motives for doing so may vary (ie Henderson and Wickham cost so much due to the new native players and under-21 rule in the premiership, as well as the fact that they MIGHT be very good players someday. Beyond the fact that he built a reputation as being a fairly good striker at Liverpool before he lost his mind and was a marketable name, I don''t know why anyone in their right mind would spend £50 million on Torres... I wonder how many nurses could be paid for a year with that amount of money? Stupid!)

Just for the record, I''m not saying that the Tottenham squad isn''t high quality. It is. Nor that there is never any correlation between quality players and vaste amounts of cash. There usually is. However, the gulf in spending power and, therefore, quality has never really been evident except against Man City.

How do we explain this? Yes, we have great management, but that isn''t the only thing. Could it be that the rag-tag, hastily assembled and ''cheap'' group of footballers who wear the Norwich shirt are actually Premier League quality? How could that be, we didn''t spend £15 million on a star striker etc? Surely the Norwich squad proves that you CAN compete without spending stupid amounts of money- then again, would you call the estimated £8-10 million we spent this summer a small amount of money???

Not sure that I am articulating my point particularly well (it is early).

I think I might go back to sleep.

"Agree that''s the positive I take out of it, our defensive display. We will get more of the ball against weaker opposition so roll on fulham.."

Agreed but Fulham are no mugs either - we need to improve our forward play - some of what Morison did in front of goal was less than inspiring last night.  

Having watched the game back, I think another positive is Andrew Surman, he looked a lot stronger on and off the ball, I think the Wolves game has given him a confidence boost. I haven''t given up on him yet.

Drury, Whitbread, and Surman were my stand outs too.

It''s been a joy watching Surman these last few games and I''ll admit I''m one of the fans that was failing to see what he brought to the team. He''s getting better the more he plays and I hope it continues.

Pilks on the left if we''re playing a five man midfield but VERY happy with Surman''s contributions over the last couple of weeks when playing four.