Sign in to follow this  
Chris Harvey

Struggling To Make The Step Up !

I like every other norwich fan knew this would be a very difficult season and i dont wanna get on at the players because they are not to blame as they can only play to the best of their ability, they fight for the team and give 110% but that will only get u so far. I think a few of the squad have not been able to cope with the big step up ! Dont get me wrong they were excellent last season and i admire them all, but we are in the big league now !

• Edworthy - Dodgy at times,
  • Drury - Not been the same since being named captain,
  • Fleming - Started ok, looking dodgy now,
  • Holt - Good battler but lacks ability in the premiership,
  • Mulryne - Too slow on the ball,
  • McVeigh - Not the same as a couple of seasons ago,
  • McKenzie - A LEGEND, gives 110% but lacks on his finishing.

Its a shame because to me they are all legends and the way they performed last season they had the right to be given a chance this season !

edworthy: disagree, very solid, hardly any complaints, improved significantly

drury: started ok, but hasn''t really changed from last season

fleming: disagree, looking solid, made a couple of rare mistakes, definatly stepped it up.

holt: needs more than a lot of energy to be usefull

mulryne: doesn''t do a lot, and what he does do, its not very well

mcveigh: lost the plot

mckenzie: agreed, just wish he could bang it in the back of the net

Of course our defenders looked good last season,look who they were up against.Our targets in the january transfer window.Hulse,Harewood ect ect

[quote]I like every other norwich fan knew this would be a very difficult season and i dont wanna get on at the players because they are not to blame as they can only play to the best of their ability, they ...[/quote]

cant really knock mcveigh he hasn''t been given much of a chance and he has scored a goal.

Out of respect to filletthefishwife I will decline to comment on any specific players but agree that the reason we currently sit in 18th position is that overall the quality in the squad is not good enough. Some players have not shown their full potential and/or have struggled to adapt to the pace of prem football while others have performed above their actual ability for short periods of time, yet still not to prem standard.

To be honest I think the list Chris has shared is too short and the number of players who have performed consistently at prem level only stretches to 3 players - Hux, Greeno and Damo.

What Worthy deserves enormous credit for is the fantastic team spirit at the club despite the introduction of half a dozen+ new faces and loss of key promotion winning squad personnel. EVERY single player in a yellow shirt has given their absolute all for every minute they are on the pitch and it is for the reason that we still love the likes of Leon, Holt etc etc etc.

The reason I think we will ultimately fail is that the quality of player we have in the squad is not quite up to it, in just about every position, not just one or two players. But maybe, just maybe, that committment, with a following wind and a slice of luck will carry us through to that heavenly 17th spot come May.

OTBC

Well, I can''t defend a defence that has conceded so many soft goals. To me, the Doc has performed superbly (apart from one pass against Chelsea and nutting Helveg) and until last week, so has Charlton. So I would have to look at Drury, Edworthy and Fleming as the men responsible. Sorry an'' all.

Francis is a great player, but what is the deal with his positioning when he doesn''t have the ball?

Mullers didn''t look sharp, but Francis hid behind a red shirt almost every time Phil got the ball.

Leon may try hard, but in 15 minutes Crow showed us what a good first touch can bring to a team going forwards. Leon needs to get the ball, hold it for a couple of seconds, pass to a midfielder and head back in the box. He''s no use to anyone running the ball off for a throw in, or standing offside.

Fleming has been class,  McVeigh and Mulryne are sadly not good enough at this level.

We need someone in the middle to complement Francis and someone who can consistently put the ball in the net.  Not sure Zamora will score regularly at the top level though.