Sign in to follow this  
BarclayCanary (Former HDDH)

Russell Martin!

Good question, it is here:

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/city_defender_martin_named_in_scotland_squad_1_1114110

Just says he has been named in the Squad, I am guessing CB as they must have been watching him throughout and thought he is doing a good job there.

[quote user="NCFC-47"]Wes still cant get in the ireland squad though[N]
[/quote]

Wes is the highest placed Irishman in the Premier League. And given that the Premier League is generally seen as being the best league in the world then, when it comes to club football, I think it''s fair to say that Wes is the highest ranking Irishman globally.

I know the above is taking it to the extreme a touch but basically...how he isn''t in their squad is bizarre.

This is clearly Irelands loss! As much as I am sure Wes would love to play for his country, Ireland are missing out on pure magic! I reckon they will call him a year before he retires and kick themselves when they realise they could have had many more years of him lol.

On another note at least he is a game or 2 less of risk of getting an injury!

Maybe Ireland to have the players to facilitate using a formation that would allow Wes the free role that he revels in.

Its a fair point and would represent a huge gamble in a play off match. But they arent exactly flush with strikers at the moment Ireland given all of their injuries. So he might represent a decent alternative being played just off the forward. But surely when the friendlies come around it is worth experimenting with him in a different system. Which Trappotoni hasnt done. Not that I am complaining. I want Wesley fresh and firing on all cylinders for the Premier League. Such an important player for us.

I''m not saying I agree with the continued omission of Hoolahan and also Tierney/Pilkington but Ireland have completed a 2 year qualifying group and have just a 2 legged play off before perhaps qualifying for a major tournament. Would Trapp really change his squad for a player(s) he hasn''t included under his reign?

I know they play Duff/McGeady out-wide but even Seamus Coleman doesn''t get a game whilst Shane Long is behind the English Simon Cox.

[quote user="curly_whirly_tipz"]This is clearly Irelands loss! As much as I am sure Wes would love to play for his country, Ireland are missing out on pure magic! I reckon they will call him a year before he retires and kick themselves when they realise they could have had many more years of him lol. On another note at least he is a game or 2 less of risk of getting an injury![/quote]

I agree with that, and tiredness as well, but it is a bit selfish and parochial as it is most player''s big aim to play for their country. It is also a cause for the Club and supporters to be proud and gives a bit more recognition.

I remember, as a youngster, how elated I felt when Jim Bone was picked for Scotland. A Norwich player an international no less. I believe he was the first, although Keelan should have been. 

Was Dean Ashton''s carrer ending injury caused when on international duty? 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="curly_whirly_tipz"]This is clearly Irelands loss! As much as I am sure Wes would love to play for his country, Ireland are missing out on pure magic! I reckon they will call him a year before he retires and kick themselves when they realise they could have had many more years of him lol. On another note at least he is a game or 2 less of risk of getting an injury![/quote]

I agree with that, and tiredness as well, but it is a bit selfish and parochial as it is most player''s big aim to play for their country. It is also a cause for the Club and supporters to be proud and gives a bit more recognition.

I remember, as a youngster, how elated I felt when Jim Bone was picked for Scotland. A Norwich player an international no less. I believe he was the first, although Keelan should have been. 

Was Dean Ashton''s carrer ending injury caused when on international duty? 

[/quote]

Jim Bone was not the first Broadstairs. I believe there were a number of others much earlier. I can think of Johnny Gavin and Ron Davies at least.

Sad enough to look it up[8-|]

It seems Mick O''Brien was our first for Eire in 1930. Maybe Tilly could confirm that[;)]

Phil Boyer was the first English capped player in 1976.

Jimmy Bone was the first Scottish capped player.

Yankee''s Davies and Gavin both won 5 caps whilst with us.

Our most capped player was Mark Bowen (35).