Sign in to follow this  
Lennon7

Decent little Chris Martin compilation video here..

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Herman "]

It''s amazing how good someone with no pace,strength or heading abilities is.Great vid[Y][;)]

[/quote]

4 goals in two seasons says it all really.

[/quote]Really sad that a Norwich supporter has to manipulate stats to slate one of their own home-grown players. You might not rate Martin, which is more than fair enough, but please spare us these ridiculous comments.Oh, by the way, how''s Cody "brace on his debut, top scorer in the Championship" McDonald getting on at Coventry by the way? Your judgement says it all really.[/quote]

Time will tell on Cody... it''s already told on CM. 

[/quote]Really - you''re writing off a 23 (?) year old?! Oh dear...

Chris Martin started 21 games and made 9 sub appearances while fit last season.

Started 36 with 6 sub appearances in League One.

39 Starts for Luton.

13 starts in his first season.

Where was Cody at that age?

Where was Morison at that age?

You may think you know what your talking about, but the fact that Chris Martin, has been playing games in the past 3 seasons means he is rated. He may not be a key player at the moment, but that doesn''t mean he won''t be. If you seriously think Cody is that much better than Martin why isn''t he here and Martin in the Championship? You do realise the Norwich coaching staff know a lot more than us.... And maybe Lambert is planning on getting rid of Martin in January, but maybe he isn''t. And until then we won''t know, trying to pretend otherwise is pathetic. I''m not being stupid and saying MARTIN IS WONDERFUL HE''S A LEGEND etc etc, you and others are saying he''s crap, not even championship quality.

Oh and Cody has heading ability... So does Martin, go watch the Stoke game again, he won a number of headers. And hundreds of players have a great attitude, Andy Hughes had the best attitude ever, doesn''t make him any better of a player.

I''ve never said Chris Martins c*ap, hes far from that, just hes not Premiership standard, very ordinary at Championship level, good at League 1!

I think Martins probably traded on the good season he had for us 2 seasons ago which has given him the benefit of the doubt for the last 2 seasons!

People over rate Chris Martin cause he came from our Academy set up and is local.

Lambert gave him a chance at the start of the season and is was aparent that he wasn''t good enough for this level, hence the reason why hes out of favour now!

Yes hes still young at 23 but so is Pilkington, Bennett and Naughten and there all playing regularly! 

Personnelly I hope he gets the rumoured move to Burnley but I''d be very surprised if he produced the goods for them?

He was decent in the Championship though. Why would Lambert play him 30 times if he wasn''t at least decent?

In fact he was decent in 2 out of his 3 premiership games.

If you want a goal scoring striker he''s not your man, he''s need a speedy player or a target man. Which makes him not the most useful player in the world, because as a striker he doesn''t really fit a role.

In League One, him Hoolahan and Holt had the freedom to play the ball around and space to get shots in from various places. Championship I imagine (don''t have any stats) his shot per game ratio went down quite a bit, now this could be down to him not being up to standard, or it could be down to the team not getting as many chances and I also think his off the field problems had an effect on his performances, and his general confidence.

If he finds a Championship team that can accommodate his style, or if he is trying to prove in training he can play the Hoolahan role, he could still turn out to be a pretty useful player maybe even at Premiership level. You can write him off at this level all you want, but your don''t even have to go any further than our first team to find examples of players that are coping and performing well in the premiership that even last season wouldn''t have imagined they could do. Martin does have a good touch, he can hit the ball pretty well, when he feels like it he is pretty strong on and off the ball, he also seems to be a pretty intelligent footballer, he can win the ball in the air and can get the ball past people (although not that often, because he isn''t the fastest).

I believe (and this is nothing to do with him being a local lad, or academy player) if he sorts out his attitude and puts in a huge amount of effort he could be a very useful player to have. Will never be a superstar, but the attributes he does have if worked on should be very useful.

You really don''t need to point out Pilkington, Bennett and Naughton. Yes they are all doing well at a young age, and their a number of examples of young players starting well and fading away, starting well and continuing, fading and coming back etc. You can''t predict a players whole career, lets go back to Morison, when he was 23 and playing in the conference (or conference north/south), do you think he thought he would be scoring goals in the premiership and playing for Wales in 5 years?

Chris Martin, maybe will never make it because of his attitude and problems. But look at it this way, he came on the scene a few years ago to replace an injured Earnshaw, started with a bang and then fizzled off, then had a whole season only playing very few games because Roeder didn''t like him pretty much. He has then done very well in League Two, League One, decent enough but not as much output as we might have liked in the championship and is now in the premiership. Climbing the football league like that must be very hard, if we had another season in the Championship, maybe Martin would have improved himself a bit more got some more goals, and carried that into the premiership, if players like DJ Campbell can score in the prem then why can''t Martin?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]He was decent in the Championship though. Why would Lambert play him 30 times if he wasn''t at least decent? In fact he was decent in 2 out of his 3 premiership games. If you want a goal scoring striker he''s not your man, he''s need a speedy player or a target man. Which makes him not the most useful player in the world, because as a striker he doesn''t really fit a role. In League One, him Hoolahan and Holt had the freedom to play the ball around and space to get shots in from various places. Championship I imagine (don''t have any stats) his shot per game ratio went down quite a bit, now this could be down to him not being up to standard, or it could be down to the team not getting as many chances and I also think his off the field problems had an effect on his performances, and his general confidence. If he finds a Championship team that can accommodate his style, or if he is trying to prove in training he can play the Hoolahan role, he could still turn out to be a pretty useful player maybe even at Premiership level. You can write him off at this level all you want, but your don''t even have to go any further than our first team to find examples of players that are coping and performing well in the premiership that even last season wouldn''t have imagined they could do. Martin does have a good touch, he can hit the ball pretty well, when he feels like it he is pretty strong on and off the ball, he also seems to be a pretty intelligent footballer, he can win the ball in the air and can get the ball past people (although not that often, because he isn''t the fastest). I believe (and this is nothing to do with him being a local lad, or academy player) if he sorts out his attitude and puts in a huge amount of effort he could be a very useful player to have. Will never be a superstar, but the attributes he does have if worked on should be very useful. You really don''t need to point out Pilkington, Bennett and Naughton. Yes they are all doing well at a young age, and their a number of examples of young players starting well and fading away, starting well and continuing, fading and coming back etc. You can''t predict a players whole career, lets go back to Morison, when he was 23 and playing in the conference (or conference north/south), do you think he thought he would be scoring goals in the premiership and playing for Wales in 5 years? Chris Martin, maybe will never make it because of his attitude and problems. But look at it this way, he came on the scene a few years ago to replace an injured Earnshaw, started with a bang and then fizzled off, then had a whole season only playing very few games because Roeder didn''t like him pretty much. He has then done very well in League Two, League One, decent enough but not as much output as we might have liked in the championship and is now in the premiership. Climbing the football league like that must be very hard, if we had another season in the Championship, maybe Martin would have improved himself a bit more got some more goals, and carried that into the premiership, if players like DJ Campbell can score in the prem then why can''t Martin?[/quote]

There are clear differences between DJ Campbell and CM. I''m surprised that you even need ask the question.   

I''m not one of Chris'' biggest fans, but his record is certainly no worse than Shane Longs at the same age, and i''d certainly welcome seeing him don the yellow and green; if Martins better moments on a football pitch are anything to go by, the lad still has the potential to be a really big player for us (maybe even more than that).I haven''t been that impressed by him for a long while, but we''d be daft to get rid now, of all times.A loan to a Championship side would do just fine, and we''d progress from there.

The thing with Martin since the end of the League 1 season is that he has had barely any luck in front of goal, last season he was always getting himself in great scoring positions and getting his shots on target but either the keeper was making a blinding save every time or he was hitting the woodwork. He''s also good at linking up the play because he can hold the ball up and he''s always trying to run in between the channels to receive the ball.

There were plenty of games last season where he looked really impressive, Forest away for example when he hit the woodwork twice and was arguably the best player on the pitch but because he didn''t score people forget about it. QPR and Reading at home to also name a couple, against QPR he had about 4 or 5 chances but came up against a goalkeeper in inspired form, not one of these chances were shot off target. Then against Reading he had one of his better games and then gets injured, and for a striker there''s not really a worse time to get injured if you haven''t had the best of seasons goal scoring wise and you look like your getting into a bit of a form finally and because of this I felt gutted for him. Literally almost nothing went right for him last season on a personal note.

I think the way he''s been shipped out to the reserves this season has been really unfair on Lambert''s behalf, I thought he had really decent games against Stoke and Chelsea and was far from the worst player v WBA and for me offers far more service than Wilbraham. I don''t think we''ll sell him but maybe send him on loan to a Championship side because I still think he has the potential to be a top player for us and as GP said you can''t write off a player aged 23.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Did I say DJ Campbell and Chris Martin are identical strikers no. Please go away, you have nothing constructive to say.[/quote]

As you know that they are not identical strikers then you should be able to work out why one scores regularly and the other does not.... [:D]

Paul Moy, you really need to check your facts if you think DJ Campbell scores regularly.At the age of 29, he''s had 1 reasonable season in the Prem in terms of goals, in a team that sacrificed all manner of logical football simply to try and score a hatful of goals each game.  I think at Martin''s age, Campbell was still playing non-league and has hardly been prolific since so a pretty poor argument to be honest.

[quote user="Clint"]Paul Moy, you really need to check your facts if you think DJ Campbell scores regularly.

At the age of 29, he''s had 1 reasonable season in the Prem in terms of goals, in a team that sacrificed all manner of logical football simply to try and score a hatful of goals each game. 

I think at Martin''s age, Campbell was still playing non-league and has hardly been prolific since so a pretty poor argument to be honest.

[/quote]

He scored 13 last season in the Prem and had already scored in one game before being hit with longterm injury this season. That''s pretty regular in comparison to many other strikers in the Prem.  I won''t mention how many CM has scored this season.