Sign in to follow this  
peter2704

London Marathon and Great Manchester Run 2012

I’ve been accepted to run in the marathon in 2012 at the 2nd attempt! I hadn’t bargained on being accepted so I entered the Great Manchester Run (10k) as one to do next year instead. Well, as I have now been successful in the ballot for the 2012 marathon, I have them both to do about a month apart! Stupid or heroic, I’d go for the first option!!

A couple of years ago, this would have been a far too big a step for me as I couldn’t run 5 minutes, let alone 5 hours! But now, with the training under way, I’m hoping I can do them both. I’m hoping to do the Marathon in 5 hours, 4 and a half at a push and the 10k in an hour or just over.

Basically, I’m after some sponsorship and any ideas that you might have to help me raise as much money for my 2 causes as I can!

Anyway, here are my 2 just giving sites for the runs:

London Marathon (22/04/2012): http://www.justgiving.com/Peter-Alcock0

And my Manchester 10K one (20/05/2012): http://www.justgiving.com/Peter-Alcock

Many thanks and spread the word to all!

Get it in your local paper if poss, do you or a friend, own a shop? If so get sponsorship forms under your customers noses.

Ask a local supermarket if you can stand outside with a collecting tin or do a bag pack for donations( ask some friends to help)

On the day make sure you get your name put on the front of your running top so the crowd can shout your name out, trust me it will make a MASSIVE difference to your motivation, it''s awesome!!

I''ve done 2 London Marathons and it is an amazing experience, best of luck to you

Will do, contacted the local press on this and also hoping to contact the football club to to get something in the programme at least. Got the name on my tops ready as well as been told about this by several people!

Thanks for the info and I shall do it!

Whilst on the subject of endurance I completed the national three peaks challenge this weekend in 23hrs 20minutes, Has anyone else attempted this? It''s an amazing thing to do, it gave me an enourmous sence of achievement.

Good luck for the running mate, I''ve run a few 10k''s but never the manchester one - I''ve heard its one of the best though for atmosphere. For me Running helped change my life after a health scare and I recommend to everyone to give it a go.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

Whilst on the subject of endurance I completed the national three peaks challenge this weekend in 23hrs 20minutes, Has anyone else attempted this? It''s an amazing thing to do, it gave me an enourmous sence of achievement.

Good luck for the running mate, I''ve run a few 10k''s but never the manchester one - I''ve heard its one of the best though for atmosphere. For me Running helped change my life after a health scare and I recommend to everyone to give it a go.

[/quote]Might sound easy and meaningless, but I''m organising a round britain Hack, (Horse ride) for the unknowing. I want to raise funds for Muscular Dystrophy, Its in the early stages at the moment, but if any horsey people are interested give me a shout

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]Might sound easy and meaningless, but I''m organising a round britain Hack, (Horse ride) for the unknowing. I want to raise funds for Muscular Dystrophy, Its in the early stages at the moment, but if any horsey people are interested give me a shout

[/quote]

Not for me mate I like to be on two legs! Good luck though.

I think Virgin do a free donation website, I used it in 2010 when I ran my one and only marathon. I wasn''t lucky this year and got my rejection letter last week, probably for the best since I am due to be a dad in March so it might not have been the best idea! good luck anyway.I haven''t done the 3 peaks, sounds like fun, I did get within a mile of Skafell Pike this time last week mind. 

[quote user="Marty"]I think Virgin do a free donation website, I used it in 2010 when I ran my one and only marathon. I wasn''t lucky this year and got my rejection letter last week, probably for the best since I am due to be a dad in March so it might not have been the best idea! good luck anyway.

I haven''t done the 3 peaks, sounds like fun, I did get within a mile of Skafell Pike this time last week mind.

[/quote]

Its great I highly reccomend it! Scafell pike is probally the hardest of the three, especially as we had to climb during the hours of darkness.

I bet it is LC, I know how dangerous it can be walking in the Lakes when the weather is bad, so walking at night might be a tough proposition. Due to getting lost in the clouds last year around Bowfell (it was pretty scary actually) I bought myself a gps sat nav, did you use one? where do you start the walk from?

[quote user="Marty"]I think Virgin do a free donation website, I used it in 2010 when I ran my one and only marathon. I wasn''t lucky this year and got my rejection letter last week, probably for the best since I am due to be a dad in March so it might not have been the best idea! good luck anyway.I haven''t done the 3 peaks, sounds like fun, I did get within a mile of Skafell Pike this time last week mind. [/quote]I used this site last year when I ran the London Marathon.http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/about-us/how-we-compare.jsp

[quote user="Marty"]I bet it is LC, I know how dangerous it can be walking in the Lakes when the weather is bad, so walking at night might be a tough proposition. Due to getting lost in the clouds last year around Bowfell (it was pretty scary actually) I bought myself a gps sat nav, did you use one? where do you start the walk from?[/quote]

We started from seathwaite at 4:00am. We had no GPS though just an OS map and compass! A couple of us have reasonble compass skills but we still got lost and had to trek for about 30mins just on a bearing untill we eventually found the path (excatly how it constitutes to a path i''ll never know!) If your interested these are our times.

Ben Nevis   Start: 17:00 (sat evening)  Reached summit at: 18:50 (1hr 50 mins to climb Nevis is very quick) Returned to base: 21:00 (took us longer to decend due to darkness!)   Total time 4hrs

Scafell Pike Start 4:00 (sun morning), Reached summit at 7:15, returned to base 9:30.    Total time 5 hrs 30mins

Snowdon   Start 14:00 (sun afternoon), Reached summit at 15:25, returned to base 16:20.   Total time 2 hrs 20 mins.

So to summarise it took us 11hrs 50mins to climb and decend all three mountains and 11hrs 30mins of driving between mountains which meant we finished within the 24hr limit. Our climb for nevis was exceptionally quick although our decend was pretty average, Scarfell pike was a slow climb and decenend meaining we were about an hr behind schedule and looking like failing untill we blitzed snowdon up and down in 2:20 which is really quick.

I couldn''t recommend this challenge highly enough, I''ve never felt such as good sence of acheivement. OP sorry to digress away from your topic!!!

I changed the location of where to donate to late last night. Please now go to: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PeterAlcock where you will find links to both of my fundraising pages!! I will be updating them with pictures and maybe do a blog eventually with training updates so you can see if I’m on course to succeed!!

LC, sounds like fun (and hard work), maybe one day i''ll give it a go. I think i''d like gps, especially at night for Scafell, the paths are not always very clear in the Lakes and it easy to get lost. Not sure when I will be able to have a go at such a challenge, it will be like the Lands End to John O''Groats bike ride, it''s been on my to-do list for many years and I''m nowhere nearer trying it now than I was 20 years ago!

[quote user="BigGreenStoppingMachine"]Nice one Peter. I''m running it next year as well, for Diabetes UK. You look like you''re a lot more organised than me though, I haveen''t even thought about starting the fundraising yet![/quote]

that''s who I ran for, I wouldn''t bother with the pasta party to be honest! but I do have one important tip, if you do fancy a nice big pasta meal for your tea make sure you book a place at a restaurant. I was a bit foolish and just thought i''d turn up and get a table, I was wrong! in the end I got lucky, but the choice was get a a table at about 10pm, or get a curry! You do get a big cheer from the diabetes cheering point just after Tower bridge and Houses of Parliament. Good luck and enjoy.