Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Progress Report

After six games, what do we feel about progress?

In general we must be pleased - eight points from six games, especially in view of dubious penalties, etc. I think that I would have settled for this at the outset.

There have been some disappointments - so far for Holty, who does seem to be struggling at this level, and perhaps Surman. Injuries to three out of five CBs is surely a bad dream realised, and Vaughn''s injury run continues.

There have some delightful surprises. Tierney has stepped up the level very well, and some of our posters are even discussing the England squad in a year or two. Johnson has proved to be more than the uncreative clogger some Leeds fans suggested. Martin, who struggled against Moses, what fullback wouldn''t, is now emerging as a very good CD, keeping out De Laet. Ruddy seems to be developing into a very dependable and efficient keeper. Naughton has lived up to reputation.

Pilkington and Bennett are doing what we expected, causing trouble for defenders.

All in all, I feel satisfaction and quiet confidence in the way we have played. No team yet has overwhelmed us (Old Trafford is coming!). In fact apart from the special circumstances at Chelsea, when we appeared to be the more likely team to score, no team has put more than two past us.

The conclusion is that although we have yet to keep a clean sheet, our defence has proved resolute. If we could convert more of our chances to goals we could become a top half team. PL has shown his astuteness at this level to such an extent that wealthy clubs may soon be looking in his direction

What makes you think Holt is struggling at this level?

He played well against Wigan, Chelsea and Stoke. Did a job against Bolton when he came on. I wouldn''t call that struggling....

All true.

I think Holty will just take time. He has been our most prolific striker in the last 2 seasons. The step up this time is greater, he will chip in with his 5-10 goals i hope and morrison the same with everyone else contributing. Theres a ''did you know'' stat on the bbc report saying except chelsea and united, norwich have the most goals from different players in the prem. something like 7 compared to chelseas 8 and uniteds 10! Though if you look how many goals they''ve scored, thats probably helps!

I would DEFINITELY taken 8 pts from 6 games. The only game i was a bit dissapointed in was West Brom, we didn''t seem to be able to open them up to get a decent opportunity.

The stoke game was depressing and more experience would have seen us get 3 pts there and we would be on 10 level with liverpool after same games played. can''t exactly moan about that!

The first half of the season and up until March is our most iportant period, we need the points on the board before April. I think the final 3rd of the season is going to be VERY tough with many big teams back to back

Not a bad start to the season, but we were lucky with the fixtures - WBA, Sunderland and Stoke at home aren''t going to be the hardest of games in the league. Norwich have played well in patches in all the games so far - especially the first half against Bolton and the 20 minutes before and after half time last night. I don''t think many teams will be able to turn us over without much effort (although going to Old Trafford will most likely be pretty thankless).Been really impressed with players like Bennett and Pilkington, Bennett more so, and keeping them fit for the entire season will be vital - we look a lot less threatening when they aren''t in the team. The WBA game when Pilkington was missing is a prime example.The start to this season reminds me a little of the last one, took us a few games to bed in and get the belief that we could pick up results and be competitive - I don''t think we can expect to finish quite as high, but hopefully with each positive performance there will be a little more confidence in the team. Our toughest games are yet to come of course, and picking up home wins against Swansea, Blackburn, Wigan and QPR could be vital.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]What makes you think Holt is struggling at this level? He played well against Wigan, Chelsea and Stoke. Did a job against Bolton when he came on. I wouldn''t call that struggling....[/quote]

Why would PL drop his captain unless he was struggling? He was average against Wigan and if it were not for the goal and comedy push on John Terry against Chelsea nobody would be claiming he played as well as they are. The Stoke game was his best performance of the season but that is no real surprise. Last night he was an embarrassment. Charging around like a hyperactive toddler who has been left alone with the sugar bowl giving free kicks away and throwing himself to the ground when things didn''t go his way.

I can understand people defending him. When you build a player up to be more than just one man in a team of eleven as City fans have with Holt it can be difficult to be honest about their shortcomings. I can see a lot of posters getting quite upset as the season progresses.

I don''t think it''s any coincidence that with picking our more manoeuvrable and pacy players that we have had back to back victories. My worry is that with injuries to Pilkington or Bennet we will be back to plodding predictability. With the injury to Vaughan and the lack of emergence of Jackson at this level I hope that Lambert is getting ready for January transfer window activity.

Im so impressed. We have no stand out individual''s, no big time Charlies, just a squad of footballers full of desire and hunger to play at the top level. Paul Lambert is a genius for what he as done from day one, to the squad he as asembled now.

Holt - Had a very similar start to life in the Championship, which had people on here jumping on his back. Strikers thrive on confidence and the only way to get that is playing back to back games. I am still confident he can do a job and at some point would love to see Holt and Morison playing together.

Bradley appears to be keeping Crofts out of the side - so we have to be impressed with him.

Elliott is full of beans and fearless.

Although we have a thin squad, we have a couple of gems on the bench, Holt, Jackson, Crofts and Surman,

Im not sure if the broken leg is playing on Pilkingtons mind, but he seems a little timid, although he as done nothing wrong.

The Ruddy doubters seem to have gone quiet, made some outstanding saves.

Ive just said in another thread, I am confident that we will not be in the relegation battle come May. There are far worse teams than us in this League and I think we will suprise some people this season.

My only worry............................................ How long before a big club want to take Mr Lambert away from us?

I am overall delighted with the 8 points - more than perhaps I would have expected.

So many of our players have shone so far or shown the potential to become a strong premiership player.

Unfortunate about the penalties - but I think this reflects that potentially we could have picked up many more points than we have done if some of these decisions werent made.

Onwards and upwards!

8 points from 6 games is great, especially with all the dodgy calls we''ve had against us. My only concern is out lack of possession. Not sure if we''ve had 50% in any game so far. Having lowish possession is not a problem in itself but as the season goes on chasing the ball around all game is going to take its toll and fitness could become an issue.

I think we need to be a bit more patient at times, hold on to the ball and try to force the opposition out of shape rather than trying a killer ball which more often than not will be cut out. Let them chase the ball rather than pressing them all the time.

From half time till Sunderland made their subs I thought we played the best football we have all season, we controlled the ball and broke dangerously. I''d like to see us doing that a bit more often against bottom half clubs.