Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

This Suad is far better than when we went up last time

As a team we are far stronger than when we wnt up last time. We may not have anyone with the proven class and pace of Huckerby but the rest of the squad id far better. Having an aging Flemming and Simon Charlton as our centre halves then compared to barnett, Ward and Whitbread stands out. Holt and jackson will cause problems and probably will have some competition as well. Until ashton arrived in the January we had very limited threat in front of goal apart from Huckerby. Wished we still had a younger version of him with us now

Possibly, but I am not sure about the defence.

The team certainly has a better ethic- working for each other. commitment for over 90 minutes and confidence.

They have "improved" throughout the season, except possibly in defence. It has been a considerable achievement to bind together so many players who have come in since August into a unified squad.

Their big test could come if they have a poor run, when other teams have worked them out, and a string of poor results. Will they have enough resilience then? I hope that the additional players PL is hoping to sign will help them overcome set-backs.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]As a team we are far stronger than when we wnt up last time. We may not have anyone with the proven class and pace of Huckerby but the rest of the squad id far better. Having an aging Flemming and Simon Charlton as our centre halves then compared to barnett, Ward and Whitbread stands out. Holt and jackson will cause problems and probably will have some competition as well. Until ashton arrived in the January we had very limited threat in front of goal apart from Huckerby. Wished we still had a younger version of him with us now[/quote]

--

Of course it all a matter of opinion, but you would take the current goal threat from Holt, Jackson and Chris Martin (none of whom has played in the Premier League) ahead of that posed by Huckerby, Svensson and Roberts (who had all scored in the PL) plus McKenzie, who would go on to score in the PL?

Defensively and in midfield i think we are better than last time out.. however up front not so sure!Holty is good but no where near Hucks, Iwan, and Svenners.... We had some decent players back then. Dean Ashton too dont forget.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]As a team we are far stronger than when we wnt up last time. We may not have anyone with the proven class and pace of Huckerby but the rest of the squad id far better. Having an aging Flemming and Simon Charlton as our centre halves then compared to barnett, Ward and Whitbread stands out. Holt and jackson will cause problems and probably will have some competition as well. Until ashton arrived in the January we had very limited threat in front of goal apart from Huckerby. Wished we still had a younger version of him with us now[/quote]

--

Of course it all a matter of opinion, but you would take the current goal threat from Holt, Jackson and Chris Martin (none of whom has played in the Premier League) ahead of that posed by Huckerby, Svensson and Roberts (who had all scored in the PL) plus McKenzie, who would go on to score in the PL?

[/quote]

Plus, Green would go on to prove himself a Premier League-quality keeper; Ruddy is nowhere near as good.

We have better players technically this time round and i think that most of them will do ok in the prem. The big thing for lambert top sort out is how to tighten us up at the back without losing our attacking edge. We play some great stuff but we give teams too many chnaces and that will need to stop as in the prem they will take them! I don''t think its all down to the defence, they will need better shielding from the midfield. That is why, despite Fox having been excellent this season, I think one of the most important players we will be looking for is a defensive midfielder as having a ball player there rather than a destroyer can leave us very open.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Defensively and in midfield i think we are better than last time out.. however up front not so sure!Holty is good but no where near Hucks, Iwan, and Svenners.... We had some decent players back then. Dean Ashton too dont forget.[/quote]

Holt is better than Iwan.....Scoring..Same....Heading...Same..Shooting HOLT JUST .Hold up play.. Same..passing and footballing brain,blind side knock ons etc..HOLT...Wing and pulling defenders out of position.. HOLT..Tackling....HOLT..Agressivness..Same..Defensive.. Same

HUCKS is a diff type player and can really be compared to HOOLIE/EADIE/AND BELLERS

I think you will find Huckerby was far superior to Hoolahan.We need half a dozen decent, and I mean decent players, like Charlie Adams level of quality, and some plum championship players like shane Long, if we are to stand even the remotest hope.And why do people keep saying Svenson was quality?  People have very, very short memories and bi rose-tinted glasses....

lets not forget we were playing doherty up front a the beginning on our last prem campaign. overall id say this team is better than 2004 team, and with some quality additions we''ll compete a lot better as well

Dont take my word dor it,the 4 footballing experts on sky sports on saturday..Merson/scouse git/ that cricket player lookalike and some jock who was big in the 80`s..All said HOOLIE should have been in prem long ago,and will will probably flourish in that hole,and made comparisons to a spurs player who plays in that role! ..

Having seen all hucks/eadie bellers and hoolie,

i would put hucks and hoolie and eadie 1st and bellers 2nd!

According to my ol man,none are fit to wipe the boots of fogo :0

Why is Roberts being mentioned, he didn''t play in the prem.... In fact we ended up playing Doherty up front a few times didn''t we?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why is Roberts being mentioned, he didn''t play in the prem.... In fact we ended up playing Doherty up front a few times didn''t we?[/quote]

---

Because the comparison made by the OP is between the squad that got promoted then (which included Roberts) and the squad that has just got promoted.

I  say utter boll ocks to that. We have half a squad who have only just proven they could step up to champ level. Wake up!!!

The last promotion team also had a fabulous team ethic and I would probably have more of last times team in my dream team; but that should not underestimated how good this squad is.

Both good but if we had p lambert managing the championship squad...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]The last promotion team also had a fabulous team ethic and I would probably have more of last times team in my dream team; but that should not underestimated how good this squad is. Both good but if we had p lambert managing the championship squad...[/quote]

The last sentence is very important. Of course only time will tell but i think having lambert in charge will be the key difference. All that i have seen so far points to the fact his management gives us much more of a chance than we had last time. The fact we try and score/win away from home will help!