Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Surman - Your opinion so far?

[quote user="Largey"]I know it''s been picked up on a couple of other threads, but I haven''t seen much from Surman to back up his hefty price tag and the gleaming reports which came with him when he joined. On a positive side, he is very good with the ball at his feet. Comfortable running at players and slotting an intricate ball through the defence to create a chance. He also builds up play nicely and is a good source to pass to and move. But he is so slow and lethargic. He can just about keep up with play when we counter attack, but then his defending is weak and he gets brushed off the ball too easy. I''m not sure I''ve seen him put in a strong challenge to win the ball, and I wouldn''t call him clinical in front of goal. If he plays left mid be often leaves Tierney exposed and I''m not sure he covers well when Tierney pushes forward. Has anyone been disappointed with Surman, or feel he has much more to offer? He was hampered with a couple of injuries earlier in the season and I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt upon his return, but after a decent run in the side he has (by all accounts) been poor over the last couple of games and has tended to drift in and out of others. His quality has shone through in games, but frustratingly only in glimpses and recently he has been outshone by the likes of Wes, Lansbury, Crofts, Fox and Pacheco. This may just be my sharp reaction to his early substitution today, but it would be interesting to know anyone elses views on Surman, and what he offers us in the future.[/quote]

LOL - Think he has just made you look a little silly.

Credit where credit''s due - I am one who has pointed the finger at Surmans last two performances but to show its its not all one way. Tonight I thought he was superb not just because of his goal but he put his foot into tackles which he hasn''t done in the last two matches.

Some of us see it like the game Catchphrase -  We say what we see...lol ;P

His last two performances weren''t good enough, tonights was, whats to debate? If he puts as much effort in as he did tonight then all of us will be happy.

Best game so far, but he still needs to track back more, it wasn''t until Culverhouse got into him surman tracked, and surman also doesn''t drive into space[:@]

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="Largey"]I know it''s been picked up on a couple of other threads, but I haven''t seen much from Surman to back up his hefty price tag and the gleaming reports which came with him when he joined. On a positive side, he is very good with the ball at his feet. Comfortable running at players and slotting an intricate ball through the defence to create a chance. He also builds up play nicely and is a good source to pass to and move. But he is so slow and lethargic. He can just about keep up with play when we counter attack, but then his defending is weak and he gets brushed off the ball too easy. I''m not sure I''ve seen him put in a strong challenge to win the ball, and I wouldn''t call him clinical in front of goal. If he plays left mid be often leaves Tierney exposed and I''m not sure he covers well when Tierney pushes forward. Has anyone been disappointed with Surman, or feel he has much more to offer? He was hampered with a couple of injuries earlier in the season and I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt upon his return, but after a decent run in the side he has (by all accounts) been poor over the last couple of games and has tended to drift in and out of others. His quality has shone through in games, but frustratingly only in glimpses and recently he has been outshone by the likes of Wes, Lansbury, Crofts, Fox and Pacheco. This may just be my sharp reaction to his early substitution today, but it would be interesting to know anyone elses views on Surman, and what he offers us in the future.[/quote]

LOL - Think he has just made you look a little silly.

[/quote]

Not at all, that''s the kind of response I was hoping for from Surman. His game clearly improves on a decent pitch.

My opinion of Andrew Surman? he''s the sexiest player on Norwich City''s books!He also played pretty good friday night too [:P]

tidy feet and loves a reverse pass. saw him vs scunny and thought he looked very competent, id say his only downside is being in a midfield with fox and crofts you stand out for a stray pass and while he is indeed very good on the ball, with the odd adventurous ball behind the defence not coming off everytime it stands out more than it should.

great player who fits into a robust, battling yet very classy at times midfield. him and landsbury both clearly come good stock as they can really pick an incisive pass which i think has been a great strength of ours this year. still up for debate however whether surman would continute in the side should we go up.