Sign in to follow this  
Wesbian

Holt - Legend?

I know this question has been debated on here countless times and perhaps even very recently and i''ve missed it but following his 49th,50th and 51st goals for Norwich City over the weekend and the signing of his new contract. How far is Holty from earning the ''legendary'' status? He''s already scored more than players like Huckerby (sobeit, who was not a striker) and Martin Peters. Surely if he ends his career with our fine football club, he will be classed as a legend, but i already have him up there as one of my all-time favourite Norwich players, not just for his goals, but for his captaining ability, professionalism and work ethic also. At what point will all of you class him as a legend? If we go up? If he stays until the end of his career/contract? If he continues to score and ends up there with our top scorers of all time? Just interested in seeing what people think so don''t shoot me down for a topic which comes up quite regularly :) OTBC!

Why are you so curious now. Wait and see what happens, because it all depends on what happens. It is looking likely but it''s a funny ol'' game.

The Greatest Anglian Hero, believe it or not... the abuse is not fair, I never thought he score so free hee hee, signing away on a three year deal who could it be...... believe or not it''s Holty.P.s if you don''t know the tune the 80''s awaits you.

The Greatest Anglian Hero, believe it or not... the abuse is not fair, I never thought he could score so free hee hee, signing away on a three year deal who could it be...... believe or not it''s Holty.P.s if you don''t know the tune the 80''s awaits you.

With 50 goals in 85 appearances it would be hard NOT to see him as already having achieved legendary status. I think he sits well with those mentioned below.Compare that record with other accepted legendsTed Mc Dougall    66 goals in 138 appearances Iwan Roberts       96 goals in 306 appearancesRon Davies           66 goals in 126 appearancesTerry Allcock      127 goals in 389 appearancesJohnny Gavin      132  goals in 338 appearancesJustin Fashanu       40 goals in 103 appearancesKevin Drinkell       57 goals in 150 appearances

I''ve seen all of the above and IMO McDougall was the greatest goal scorer I''ve ever seen in Canary colurs but Davies was the greatest Centre Forward.

I think he already has legend status. It''s a word that gets overused, but in Holty''s case it is utterly appropriate. He is one of the most important signings in the club''s history, helping us get out of League One at the first attempt (where would the club be now if that hadn''t happened?) and now on the threshold of another promotion. A great signing, worth every penny, and a legend.

I wouldn''t put him in the legendary category just yet, he''s not far off though for me. Maybe by this time next season he will be considered in that bracket but football is a funny old game as others have said, because you just never know, by this time next season he could be long gone, unlikely but possible.

I think to be a legend you have to play for several years at a reliably high performance level. Holt is all ready an all time great but he probably needs to see out his new contract before he is classed as a legend. So long as he keeps scoring like he has been, its just a matter of time.

I don''t think legend status necessarily depends on long service, rather it goes on what is done during the players time at the club, even if it is a very short space of time, even a loan period potentially. In Holt''s case, I think you have to look at where the club was when he arrived and the fact that he did so much to help the club get straight back up, and now potentially a second successive promotion. Of course everyone at the club has contributed, but Holt''s goals, leadership and all-round play have been critical. The timing and contribution make him, for me, one of our most important ever signings, and a legend.

Hats off to you, Holty!