Sign in to follow this  
Paul

How is Hoolahan...

How is Hoolahan not in the Republic squad, i''m not complaining coz I''d rather he just play for us but trappatoni aint got a scooby.

When the likes of: Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Darren O''Dea (Celtic), Kevin Kilbane (Huddersfield); Marc Wilson (Stoke), Darron Gibson (Man Utd), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Paul Green (Derby), Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth), James McCarthy (Wigan), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Keith Treacy (Preston), Keith Andrews (Blackburn), Keith Fahey are in the squad

How are any of them better than Wes or in better form????

He''s probably the best out of the ones above but he''s not playing as well as Wes

Back from injury and January and been Wigan''s best player since. I know you have yellow and green tinted spectacles but the kid doesn''t play in the Championship, and is in a struggling side. He''s been linked with some very big clubs. The lad is real quality and I think most managers would pick him ahead of Hoolahan. Not disagreeing with most of the rest of your list though!

[quote user="paulo79"]How is Hoolahan not in the Republic squad, i''m not complaining coz I''d rather he just play for us but trappatoni aint got a scooby.

When the likes of: Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Darren O''Dea (Celtic), Kevin Kilbane (Huddersfield); Marc Wilson (Stoke), Darron Gibson (Man Utd), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Paul Green (Derby), Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth), James McCarthy (Wigan), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Keith Treacy (Preston), Keith Andrews (Blackburn), Keith Fahey are in the squad

How are any of them better than Wes or in better form????[/quote]Well, ignoring Stephen Kelly and Darren O''Dea, who are defenders, James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady who I think are better than Wes, I would say Wes is better than the rest, most definitely Paul Green, Keith Treacy and Keith Fahey. 

The problem with Wes is that for him to be at his most devastating you really need to build a side around him. Otherwise he can be pretty ordinary like he was during his first season with the club, when he was shunted out onto the left wing and there is little point in selecting him. Wes has been amazing for us in the last two years but is he good enough to justify building a team around at international level? I am not so sure and maybe thats why Trapattoni is reluctant to select him. To be fair to the guy he has managed AC, Inter, Juventus, Bayern, Fiorentina and Italy so I reckon he probably knows what he is doing!

Albeit, he doesn''t fit their playing style. But you thought he could win a cap for playing well, and given them another option to change the game from the bench

[Jacko"]

The problem with Wes is that for him to be at his most devastating you really need to build a side around him. Otherwise he can be pretty ordinary like he was during his first season with the club, when he was shunted out onto the left wing and there is little point in selecting him. Wes has been amazing for us in the last two years but is he good enough to justify building a team around at international level? I am not so sure and maybe thats why Trapattoni is reluctant to select him. To be fair to the guy he has managed AC, Inter, Juventus, Bayern, Fiorentina and Italy so I reckon he probably knows what he is doing!

Nail hit firmly on head!

Hoolahan in football terms is a law onto himself. Hes not a central midfielder, winger or a striker and if you try to play him in such rigid positions you''ll not get the best out of him which we saw under the clueless Roedernowhere!

Personnally I think Lamberts reading of the Hoolahan situation is one of many examples of what a great eye hes got for managing players properly. Hoolahan is only going to be fully effective in the free role he has. I''m sure in such a role he could be a good international player but would the Irish team be able to play such a system?

If Hoolahan was Northern Irish then I suspect that cause they are one of the weaker international sides, they would be forced into using Hoolahan and playing a system based around him cause most of their players are League 1 standard. Beings the Eire team has many more quality players, the Hoolahan option is one they don''t feel they have to go with! 

It will be a shame for Hoolahan if when retires he only has 1 cap to his name cause that is not a true reflection of the guys ability but being a selfish Norwich fan, I''d rather he was not getting injured playing for Ireland!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]the clueless Roedernowhere!

[/quote]Didn''t the clueless Roedernowhere buy him? [^o)]

"lappinitupuser="grantroederdisaster"]the clueless Roedernowhere!

Didn''t the clueless Roedernowhere buy him?

I was waiting for someone to point that out!

I suppose thats one reason to be grateful for, about Roedernowhere!

Then again Bryan Gunn signed Grant Holt but that doesn''t make him manager of the year, or in reality much of a manager at all!

You don''t have to be a managerial genius to sign players like Holt and Hoolahan particularly since we''re a much bigger club than their previous clubs and those who were also trying to sign them. It does though take a managerial genius to be able to get the best out of them = Paul Lambert!