Sign in to follow this  
marknursey

Globalisation of football

I am doing some research into the ''globalisation of football'' for my university degree. What do you think are the major impacts of the bosman ruling of 1995? positive or negative? Your comments will be left confidential.

The impact of Bosman is more financial than anything else.  The best players effectively get "golden handcuffs", and have their contract renewed whenever they get within 18 months of running out.  This protects the clubs from losing their best players on the cheap.TV is probably more responsible for a "global game" in England than the Bosman ruling.

I presume if you''re talking about the bosman rule in globalizational terms what you''re actually looking at is the migration of players, as such, which approach are you taking Marxist or Figirational?

don''t think bosman is the reason for the globalisation of football.

nearly every country around the globe plays the game - that probably has something to do with it!

or are you talking about the globalisation of the premier league?

what''s the degree?

Thankyou for the comments, I am doing a degree in sport, leisure and culture. I am looking at the globalisation of english football in particular, involving feedback from fans on why they think football is globalised and its effect. Yes the migration of players around the world has definatley impacted on taking the game global!!

[quote user="marknursey"]Thankyou for the comments, I am doing a degree in sport, leisure and culture. I am looking at the globalisation of english football in particular, involving feedback from fans on why they think football is globalised and its effect. Yes the migration of players around the world has definatley impacted on taking the game global!![/quote]

---

A big subject. Various aspects spring to mind quickly.

1. The influence of TV. English football is wildly popular not just here but worldwide because it''s exciting. Not technically the best, but it makes great viewing. Take today. A bit extreme but 38 goals in seven Premier League games. That is 5.4 goals a game. Way better TV than some 1-1 that might be tactically fascinating but lacks highlights. So a virtuous circle was created in which money flowed into the big English clubs.

2. On the back of TV making English football popular, and rich, in came foreign players (for the money) and foreign owners. And the fact of English being the world''s language shouldn''t be underestimated here. It makes the assimilation easier for them. And the progress of - say - a French or a Spanish player in England gets followed in their home country. All adding to the globalisation.

3. London is one of the world''s four great financial cities (New York, Tokyo and Frankfurt being the others). Only one of those countries (Germany) is a serious player in world football. That means the mega-rich individuals and companies eyeing football clubs are dealing with a financial world they know. A market in which they may well already be involved with (totally legitimate, of course) non-football activities.

4. Brands. Wanting to wear the same as other people is baffling to me. What ever happened to wanting to be individual? To wanting to look different? But apparently people love brands, and English football is full of brands. Again, the ubiquity of English as the world language helps here.

All factors conducive to the globalisation of English football.