Sign in to follow this  
Norma Stick

Cliche, but...........................

now we can concentrate on the league.  One or two more players as identified by Lambert, providing the board has backed him after yesterday.

All our rivals in the league still in the cup, with Leeds to play a replay, shades of last year when we went out even earlier.

A run in the cup would have been nice, but give me promotion every day.

Today was totally (and sadly) predictable as are the comments of so many fans who bleat ................''now we can concentrate on the league''.

For Gods sake look at it our FA cup record since right back to 1992 - how many times have we got past the 3rd round and had any sort of run to get the fans, club and city excited? Our record over that time is putrid and embarrassing considering that the great heritage of the club was built on the magic of the FA Cup. Players come and go, managers come and go, directors come and go yet this dreadful record drifts on year after year. I knew this was going to happen so thank god I didn''t waste my time and money.

How refreshing was the attitude of Burnley two years ago who gave their fans bucketfuls of excitement with fabulous cup runs in BOTH  competitions AND still got promotion! Perhaps these ''concentrate on the league'' fans can explain that one!  Lets look at what Leeds did last season as well - fantastic result at Old Trafford and an equally pulsating performance at White Hart Lane. They still got promotion as far as I can remember! They''re at it again this season with that draw at Arsenal with 7 or 8,000 fans following them. I for one would love to follow City in matches like that. That''s a distant and very fanciful dream though!        

i was actually hoping that we didnt equalise in the last 5 mins as I would rather we lost than drew and had to replay. Presumably now we can re-arrange the postponed Boxing day ,C.Palace for 4th round day in 3 weeks time, and whilst others are wasting their time in the cup we might even go top !?!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]i was actually hoping that we didnt equalise in the last 5 mins as I would rather we lost than drew and had to replay. Presumably now we can re-arrange the postponed Boxing day ,C.Palace for 4th round day in 3 weeks time, and whilst others are wasting their time in the cup we might even go top !?![/quote]

Sorry geezer but  you seem just as fixated in your anti FA Cup opinoins as others on here. Bet Leeds fans are not feeling like you or Watford fans neither. Our once proud tradition in both Cups is long since gone. Ask Burnley fans what they thought of the 2008-2009 season? It was''nt just getting promotion that''s for sure!  

I''m not usually "anti FA cup" but solely because of where we are in the league and the limited squad options and injuries we have I''m not fussed at all that we are out.

Leeds and Cardiff have both got replays and Reading, Swansea, Forest, Burnley and Watford have another game to get excited/distracted/disappointed about.

Lambert has proved he is the master of picking the lads up after a defeat so lets get these chins up and look forward to the Cardiff game.

QPR and us to go up - there - I''ve said it now. (still only a hunch...but what the hell).

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Today was totally (and sadly) predictable as are the comments of so many fans who bleat ................''now we can concentrate on the league''.

For Gods sake look at it our FA cup record since right back to 1992 - how many times have we got past the 3rd round and had any sort of run to get the fans, club and city excited? Our record over that time is putrid and embarrassing considering that the great heritage of the club was built on the magic of the FA Cup. Players come and go, managers come and go, directors come and go yet this dreadful record drifts on year after year. I knew this was going to happen so thank god I didn''t waste my time and money.

How refreshing was the attitude of Burnley two years ago who gave their fans bucketfuls of excitement with fabulous cup runs in BOTH  competitions AND still got promotion! Perhaps these ''concentrate on the league'' fans can explain that one!  Lets look at what Leeds did last season as well - fantastic result at Old Trafford and an equally pulsating performance at White Hart Lane. They still got promotion as far as I can remember! They''re at it again this season with that draw at Arsenal with 7 or 8,000 fans following them. I for one would love to follow City in matches like that. That''s a distant and very fanciful dream though!        

[/quote]Yep, look at QPR, I bet they''re delighted that Mackie (who I believe has scored as many league goals as Holt) has a broken leg now, just as we would be if our top scorer was seriously injured in a cup that we are never going to win anyway.Plus are you seriously telling me that Leeds'' cup run didn''t affect their league campaign negatively last season?If you have a big enough squad, with enough quality, to effectively have two good strength elevens, then a cup run can have a really positive effect. For the rest of us, it seems too often to be a distraction from the serious business of pushing on in the league standings. We are in such a good position this season, and with our players already showing signs of fatigue, I would far rather we had as much recovery time as possible and really focus on doing the business in the Championship. To be honest, I would rather we have guaranteed games at both Old Trafford and White Hart Lane next season, than in a cup we are never going to win anyway...

"providing the board has backed him after yesterday."

What not give it a rest ? You whingers have been proved wrong about this in both word and fact, now concentrate on getting behind the club rather than making snide, unfounded comments.

As to the FA cup twaddle, the club was not based on this, it''s just it gets more publicity. We have been to Wembley in a cup final 3 times - never in the FA cup. It is not all that important now (and that''s from someone who saw the mighty Best, Law and Charlton beaten by City)

For every Leeds or Burnley there are umpteen other clubs who lose money playing against lower league clubs and often find the whole thing a bit of a nuisance. There atre many treasons for that and I wish there was still the magic of the cup, but there isn''t.

For any one who was around at the time the 71/72 season was more memorable than any FA cup run (bar ''59). It lasted for the whole season and saw us in the top flight for the first time. The trips to Brisbane Road and Vicarage Road were equal to Old Trafford a few years before.

Those who were there that season will also remember how we fared in the 3rd round of the FA cup that title winning year.

We lost at home 3-0 to Hull after a dismal performance - plus ca change (as the Welsh would say)

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Yep, look at QPR, I bet they''re delighted that Mackie (who I believe has scored as many league goals as Holt) has a broken leg now, just as we would be if our top scorer was seriously injured in a cup that we are never going to win anyway.

Plus are you seriously telling me that Leeds'' cup run didn''t affect their league campaign negatively last season?

If you have a big enough squad, with enough quality, to effectively have two good strength elevens, then a cup run can have a really positive effect. For the rest of us, it seems too often to be a distraction from the serious business of pushing on in the league standings. We are in such a good position this season, and with our players already showing signs of fatigue, I would far rather we had as much recovery time as possible and really focus on doing the business in the Championship. To be honest, I would rather we have guaranteed games at both Old Trafford and White Hart Lane next season, than in a cup we are never going to win anyway...
[/quote]

Several points here I.S.

1. Mackie could have broken his leg anytime. It was just a freak it happened  in the Cup.

2. Leeds - still got promoted  did''nt they?

3. ''We were never going to win the Cup'' - Man that is a seriously crazy argument. Its'' all about the excitement of pitting youself against unknown opponents and having the potential to get to the latter stages and play some of the biggest teams in the country. Using your argument then there is no point at all in trying to get promotion as we sure as  hell will have no chance of winning it will we!!!  

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]Yep, look at QPR, I bet they''re delighted that Mackie (who I believe has scored as many league goals as Holt) has a broken leg now, just as we would be if our top scorer was seriously injured in a cup that we are never going to win anyway.Plus are you seriously telling me that Leeds'' cup run didn''t affect their league campaign negatively last season?If you have a big enough squad, with enough quality, to effectively have two good strength elevens, then a cup run can have a really positive effect. For the rest of us, it seems too often to be a distraction from the serious business of pushing on in the league standings. We are in such a good position this season, and with our players already showing signs of fatigue, I would far rather we had as much recovery time as possible and really focus on doing the business in the Championship. To be honest, I would rather we have guaranteed games at both Old Trafford and White Hart Lane next season, than in a cup we are never going to win anyway...[/quote]

Several points here I.S.

1. Mackie could have broken his leg anytime. It was just a freak it happened  in the Cup.

2. Leeds - still got promoted  did''nt they?

3. ''We were never going to win the Cup'' - Man that is a seriously crazy argument. Its'' all about the excitement of pitting youself against unknown opponents and having the potential to get to the latter stages and play some of the biggest teams in the country. Using your argument then there is no point at all in trying to get promotion as we sure as  hell will have no chance of winning it will we!!!  

[/quote]Arguing this over two threads, but whatever:1. Yes he could have broken his leg anytime, but surely you want to limit the chance of this happening if the league is your priority? If you''re a team going for mid-table without any play-off/promotion aspirations, or if you have a big enough squad, then a cup run is a great thing. Otherwise it becomes a risk.2. Yes, but they very nearly didn''t manage it. Are you arguing the fact that their horrendous downturn in form coincided with the distraction and extra games in the cup?3. Don''t get me wrong, I would love a romantic cup run, but unfortunately football managers have to be more pragmatic and realistic than that. Sadly, the revenue that is generated by the FA Cup doesn''t compare to that of getting promotion from the Championship. I''m no great fan of the Premiership, but I think that if we don''t get there in the next few years we are going to struggle even more financially, and I don''t think we could be in a much better position than we are now at this stage of the season.Perhaps I''m not expressing myself very well - from a fan''s point of view, an exciting cup run would be superb. I am very embarassed that we went down without a whimper, and losing any match in such a fashion is never a good thing. But am I concerned that we''re out of the FA Cup? In other seasons, perhaps I would be, but this season I''m really not.