Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Some observations about some of our players after today

Hoolahan:-He is very attacking minded and tries to create something every time he gets the ball. Unfortunately this means that he gives away possession cheaply all the time and often fails to track back when he should. He always has the potential to produce a piece of magic with an incisive pass or surging run, but too often his runs go nowhere. It seems that the diamond system is built to accommodate him but when he''s having an off day then the team lack something in terms of shape when going forwards.Does he have enough pace and physical presence to be effective at Championship level?Chris Martin:-He is working a lot harder off the ball this season and was generally very lively today with some fantastic hold-up play. He is a fantastic finisher and proved it with a well taken goal. He doesn''t seem to have much of an understanding with Holt at the moment and the two are not linking up very well - every time Martin wins a header Holt runs the wrong way and vice versa - the partnership was so good last year, what has happened? His free kicks were awful today but it is hard to clear the wall when they have crept forward 3 yards!Grant Holt:-He is looking very much off the pace of the Championship and is severely lacking match fitness. He will put in a burst of energy every now and then but needs 10 minutes to recover each time. He brings a lot to the team and his physical presence causes problems for defenders but he commits too many fouls (silly trip on the keeper?). He needs a bit more support from the midfield getting forwards so that he can do what he does best - goal hang and score - otherwise he looks isolated up front at times. When he drops deep to look for the ball, no one else seems to wan to get into the box in his place.Andrew Crofts:-He is quietly essential to the team''s defensive structure and shape when the team is not in possession. He didn''t seem to do a lot today but he broke up play very well and protected the back four all afternoon.Korey Smith:-He is developing into a fantastic midfielder with bags of pace and skill. He could get into the box a bit more and would score a lot more goals but his work rate is excellent. He tracks back well and links up with Russel Martin down the right. Deserved MOTM today.

begs the question of whether there was more in the Holt injury this summerhe doesn''t look up to it - compared to last seasonseems to lack energy, which was something he had in bags last seasonand something this season might help in him to compensate for other perceived possible failingsvery odd

[quote user="Largey"]I have to agree with pretty much all of what you have just said there :)[/quote]Thanks. I wondered if I was being too critical - especially after a win.

[quote user="Frank"]Hoolahan:-He is very attacking minded and tries to create something every time he gets the ball. Unfortunately this means that he gives away possession cheaply all the time and often fails to track back when he should. He always has the potential to produce a piece of magic with an incisive pass or surging run, but too often his runs go nowhere. It seems that the diamond system is built to accommodate him but when he''s having an off day then the team lack something in terms of shape when going forwards.Does he have enough pace and physical presence to be effective at Championship level?[/quote]Completely disagree. This is a part of his game that is often ignored but has been particularly evident this season in the championship. It was clear at points today, and was highlighted repeatedly on RN during the Scunthorpe and Forest games (I don''t travel away often). He tracks back plenty, he gets himself about plenty. I think because of the nature of the player he is, his misplaced passes get more attention because he beats about 3 people before he does them so it seems a waste. He puts in a shift, he just doesn''t get the credit for it.

[quote user="Frank"][quote user="Largey"]I have to agree with pretty much all of what you have just said there :)[/quote]

Thanks. I wondered if I was being too critical - especially after a win.
[/quote]

Not at all I think really have Hoolahan nailed on. My only slight disagreement is where you said Crofts didn''t seem to do a lot today which I can''t say that''s how I saw it.

[quote user="thirdlion v2"][quote user="Frank"]Hoolahan:-... fails to track back when he should...[/quote]Completely disagree. This is a part of his game that is often ignored but has been particularly evident this season in the championship. It was clear at points today, and was highlighted repeatedly on RN during the Scunthorpe and Forest games (I don''t travel away often). He tracks back plenty, he gets himself about plenty...[/quote]You''re probably right, I guess the times when Drury gets exposed at left back it''s actually Lappin (today) who should be tracking back. There was just one particular occasion today where Hoolahan seemed to stop tracking back and let his man go in a dangerous position when I thought he should have given chase at least.

[quote user="Frank"][quote user="thirdlion v2"][quote user="Frank"]Hoolahan:-... fails to track back when he should...[/quote]Completely disagree. This is a part of his game that is often ignored but has been particularly evident this season in the championship. It was clear at points today, and was highlighted repeatedly on RN during the Scunthorpe and Forest games (I don''t travel away often). He tracks back plenty, he gets himself about plenty...[/quote]You''re probably right, I guess the times when Drury gets exposed at left back it''s actually Lappin (today) who should be tracking back. There was just one particular occasion today where Hoolahan seemed to stop tracking back and let his man go in a dangerous position when I thought he should have given chase at least.[/quote]Perhaps. I noticed a couple of times today that Wes gave up balls that were winnable, but that was usually going forward, not in defence. Lappin had an average game. They both hold some responsibility, I just think Wes gets more than his fair share of criticism.