Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Too much Change = loss of momentum

[quote user="jb"]

interesting article (if you''re that way inclined) on the changing role of the ''holding'' midfielder (seems particularly relevant when discussing Russell/Fox):  http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/07/30/central-midfield-role/.

zonalmarking.net is well worth a look in general, actually.  Enjoy!

jb

[/quote]

Cracking article. I can see Fox being quite similiar to Carrick in style this season. Keeping the ball and moving it quickly whilst trying to break up play with little interceptions. Which are surely even more common at Championship level than International/Premiership level because fewer passes will find their intended target due to the skill levels of the players involved?

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]Keeping the ball and moving it quickly.........[/quote]

Now does that work then? [:^)][:''(]

[;)]

Having watched the last two friendlys there is no doubt in my mind we are a better side than that which finished last season.

If a team can look this good after such a short time gelling together, we have one enjoyable season ahead should they improve on the impressive unit they look already.

The short ball passing and possession of the ilk of the Newcastle game in the main and periods against Everton is something we have not seen for along time.

If this is the football we are going to play his season is there room for a big target man, or will Jacko or Jonno be favored?

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]I don''t doubt we need to freshen the team up a bit but think evolution rather than revolution. I think the failure to resign the doc, russell and forster may come back to bit us. Plus i''m a bit annoyed that for the first time since early Worthy that we had a settled side that''s now gone and I don''t think it''s a good thing. LAst year about 14 players plus a few cameos won us promotion they were Forster, Martin, spillane, nelson , askou, doc, drury, lappin, smith, russell, hughes, wes, martin and holt - only wes, holt and drury are definite starters this year that''s a bit sad and the other players deserve better I personally hope last year hasn''t gone to lambert head - the turning point in my eyes was when in turned to Doherty, Wes and Russell and stuck them back in the side and we did''nt look back.[/quote]

Agree totally but you''ve just got to hope Lamberts got it right and the team improves!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]I don''t doubt we need to freshen the team up a bit but think evolution rather than revolution. I think the failure to resign the doc, russell and forster may come back to bit us. Plus i''m a bit annoyed that for the first time since early Worthy that we had a settled side that''s now gone and I don''t think it''s a good thing. LAst year about 14 players plus a few cameos won us promotion they were Forster, Martin, spillane, nelson , askou, doc, drury, lappin, smith, russell, hughes, wes, martin and holt - only wes, holt and drury are definite starters this year that''s a bit sad and the other players deserve better I personally hope last year hasn''t gone to lambert head - the turning point in my eyes was when in turned to Doherty, Wes and Russell and stuck them back in the side and we did''nt look back.[/quote]

Agree totally but you''ve just got to hope Lamberts got it right and the team improves!

[/quote]

I agree many of those players were magnificent for us last year but if you believe a player might struggle in the league above you have to back yourself to bring a quality replacement in. I felt in the Premiership we showed too much faith in the likes of Edworthy and Holt which ultimately didn''t do either the player or us many favours. If you think of some of the abuse Holt got it was terrible.

It''s unrealistic to expect a team to remain the same when moving up a division. Players who were good in League One may be unable to make the step-up and no one knows this better than the man which watches these players train day in day out.

I personally feel we''ve kept a good spine to the team. We''ve got a relatively similar defence with Drury, Martin, Nelson. Midfield has changed as it seems but we still have Wes as the creative spark and Korey could be a big player too this season. Then we''ve got Holt & Martin from last season up front. IF you ask me, we''ve made sufficient changes, not too many whatsoever.