Sign in to follow this  
shropshire canary

Morten Olsen re Thomas Helveg

How about Morten Olsen in place of Nigel Worthington?  Olsen is only saying what the majority of posters on this board feel.  Week in and week out we can see the weaknesses of certain players, but our trusted manager digs his heels in and insists on still playing the same under performers.  Whenever he does eventually bring in some of the players we ask for, he plays them out of position, they have a bad game, and he can then justifiably revert back to his original team.

There have been some brilliant responses to this post.  To quote our manager '' playing in the Premiership is a big step up in class''.  Why then doesn''t he play those players who have the class to compete at that higher level.  Drop Fleming, Holt, Edworthy,and Svensson and bring in Shackell/Doherty, Safri/Mulryne, Helveg and Jarvis.

Have you noticed that many of the ''under performers'' are those that give interviews saying that the team spirit is good, this is just what the manager wants to hear.  If only some of the players could really say what they feel, but there again they would be banished permanently to the Reserves or out of the club.

At the end of last season we collected all the posts on Iwan and sent them to him, how about sending some of the recent posts to our manager so he can see how we feel about his team selections.

I think we need to take a longer term view of the season, give helveg a run of 4/5 games and see what he has to offer. Although eddie has been performing pretty well, i think most of the team have been given the run around. I struggle to remember a strong tackle on saturday, i think he has the confidence to let players know he is there and doubt there ability against our defenders.

The management watch the players day in day out.  They know their abilities more than anyone else.  I''m sure Worthy wouldn''t leave Helveg out if he didn''t think he was up to it.  A fully performing helveg would be a great asset to the team.  Unfortunately, so far I have seen nothing to suggest he deserves a place in the starting X1

We all have an opinion on whether a player should be in the team or not, but we are just fans at the end of the day. But then you hear other managers say "why worthy is not playing Helveg, i''ll never know" (Olsen) and "why worthy is not playing Safri is beyond me, he was class when we played Norwich" (Harry Redknapp). It is worrying.

Everyone else can see that the current team is not good enough, why can''t worthy? The rest of the squad must think what the hell have i got to do to get in the side. Especially Mulryne when Holt gets picked every week what ever the performance.

It''s time to shape up worthy or ship out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Play players in their best positions, not the positions they say they can "do a job" in. OTBC and just pray for 3 points on Saturday

stan the man - Above you have quoted Harry Redknapp as saying: "Why worthy is not playing Safri is beyond me, he was class when we played Norwich".

I find this strange because Safri was not in our first team, or even on the subs bench for our 2-2 draw against Portsmouth.

so :-

So, if if he is that good why do you think we had no serious competition for Helveg''s signature?

as for wolves dumping Eddy when they got promoted, i recall they did this because they acquired another international player from a top team (Oleg Luzhny from Arsenal).
Now, where did it get them.......

I thought I''d just make a couple of points about my feeling on the Helveg situation. Although Worthy has always gone on about competition for places being good for the team etc etc and this being the reason for Helveg''s non-appearances, why is is that Drury has been such an automatic choice, when Charlton can clearly do his job as well, if not better, certainly on Drury''s current terrible form? Same goes for Holt.
We do have decent competition for most places in the team, but it seems that Worthy just isn''t using it in certain positions.
Another worryng aspect of the Helveg publicity is that these are the first real rumblings of discontent being made in public. As another poster said, all we get in the news is the "win just around the corner" quotes. Perhaps the new developments will provoke some kind of reaction on the pitch, but unless Helveg now comes on and plays superbly every week, I can''t see them being too positive for his future at the club. I reckon he''ll be out the door in January, maybe saving that 15 grand a week wil come in handy for someone Worthington actually wants to pla