Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Please forgive me for asking a couple of questions.

From a distance it would seem that we were playing better earlier in the season with Askou and Spillane in the team and some of the youngsters around and about on the bench and filling in sometimes?

Plus it seems that we have neither played well nor won comfortably since early January.

Now, have Lambert''s signings taken us as far forward as they should have?

OTBC

I would have Askou and Spillane in my first choice 11. So I would agree that that could have some relation.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

From a distance it would seem that we were playing better earlier in the season with Askou and Spillane in the team and some of the youngsters around and about on the bench and filling in sometimes?

Plus it seems that we have neither played well nor won comfortably since early January.

OTBC

[/quote]

I agree about Askou, but Spillane didn''t play that many games, did he? And I''m pretty sure when he did play, he didn''t really play in games in which his defensive ability was tested much.Other than the Yeovil game, I agree we haven''t won comfortably since early January, however it doesn''t matter if you''re winning, does it?As for the signings, I''m not even going to try and go there!

They have taken us to the top of the league, how much further can they go this season?????? Askou is still injured so not available anyway.Performances have dipped from the incredible level they were earlier in the season, but then that was always going to happen as we cannot expect to blow all opposition away. This is the business end of things and pressure gets to just about everyone, that combined with a couple of the most woeful referees in two of the last four games have seen a dip but this squad is easily good enough to get us over the finish line.Are they good enough for next season would be a better question...

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]They have taken us to the top of the league, how much further can they go this season??????

Askou is still injured so not available anyway.

Performances have dipped from the incredible level they were earlier in the season, but then that was always going to happen as we cannot expect to blow all opposition away. This is the business end of things and pressure gets to just about everyone, that combined with a couple of the most woeful referees in two of the last four games have seen a dip but this squad is easily good enough to get us over the finish line.

Are they good enough for next season would be a better question...
[/quote]

When the going gets tough the tough get going.

Let''s hope we''re now tough.

You imply that ''it''s Lambert''s signings who have taken us to the top of the league''. That''s debatable.

Why don''t you try your own question - Are they good enough for next season? That''d be interesting.

OTBC

[quote user="Queen B"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I agree about Askou, but Spillane didn''t play that many games, did he? And I''m pretty sure when he did play, he didn''t really play in games in which his defensive ability was tested much.Other than the Yeovil game, I agree we haven''t won comfortably since early January, however it doesn''t matter if you''re winning, does it?As for the signings, I''m not even going to try and go there!

[/quote]Spillane started against:Yeovil (A) Exeter (A) Brentford (A) Wycombe (H) Sunderland (H) Brentford (H) Charlton (H) Gillingham (A)Orient (H) Bristol Rovers (H) and came on as a Sub against:MK Dons (A) [Replaced Nelson]

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Queen B"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]Spillane started against:Yeovil (A) Exeter (A) Brentford (A) Wycombe (H) Sunderland (H) Brentford (H) Charlton (H) Gillingham (A)Orient (H) Bristol Rovers (H) and came on as a Sub against:MK Dons (A) [Replaced Nelson][/quote]The only one of those who I would consider a challenge is Charlton (not counting the Sunderland cup game)Don''t get me wrong, I''m not slating Spillane at all, I rate him highly and think if he hadn''t gotten injured he would probably be playing now.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Why don''t you try your own question - Are they good enough for next season? That''d be interesting.

[/quote]OK BBB, I will. No the current squad is clearly not good enough to bring success in the Championship - but then that is what the close season transfer window is for isn''t it. [:^)]

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

OK BBB, I will. No the current squad is clearly not good enough to bring success in the Championship - but then that is what the close season transfer window is for isn''t it. [:^)]
[/quote]

I had thought you were talking about Lamberts signings rather than the squad. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Anyway, why not give it a go? Are Lamberts signings good enough for next season?

[^o)]

OTBC

Bly - good thread and a change from some of the cr@p posted by the likes of wrathsajokesajoke

Out of Lamberts signings I would say that Martin R started well but has faded a bit, Oli Johnson has shown a lot of promise, McNamee a bit less so, Whitbread has been OK with some good some bad moments, Elliott had a good game v Hudds but not since, and I''ve not (personally) seen enough of Rose to comment

So - overall - more misses than hits. Having said that all of the above came into a squad on a hell of a run, and were always I think on a hiding to nothing. All are untested at higher levels - some may cope well. I think the squad does need adding to further in the close season

As for Lambert, I think his strength is in man management - and thats probably a better trait. Gunn and Roeder probably made better signings - but were crap man managers, and look where that took us

[quote user="Queen B"][quote user="Harry"][quote user="Queen B"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]Spillane started against:Yeovil (A) Exeter (A) Brentford (A) Wycombe (H) Sunderland (H) Brentford (H) Charlton (H) Gillingham (A)Orient (H) Bristol Rovers (H) and came on as a Sub against:MK Dons (A) [Replaced Nelson][/quote]The only one of those who I would consider a challenge is Charlton (not counting the Sunderland cup game)Don''t get me wrong, I''m not slating Spillane at all, I rate him highly and think if he hadn''t gotten injured he would probably be playing now. [/quote]Didn''t think you were slating him, just showing how many games he has played this season.

Good [:)] it''s just that I re-read my post and realised it might have sounded like it, that''s all.

I''m not so sure about Lambert''s signings:

Mcnamee- Concerned as I believe we probably paid more than he was worth (at least on his current contribution) Otherwise a reasonable signing

Whitbread- Again price :/ and he''s been injured for a long long time, when he has played he hasn''t looked that great

R.Martin- Inconsistent, if he couldn''t cut it for Peterbrough in the Championship will he be able to do it for us?

Rose- Good signing as back up for Drury, but I wouldn''t want to keep him

Johnson- Good signing, probably cheap too

Elliot- Not needed, waste of money (so far anyway). Those two against Huddersfield could have been scored by any other striker.