Sign in to follow this  
Canary Pirate

Win at Southampton..........

......next week and I may begin to believe we have a chance of an automatic promotion spot. Play anything like we did yesterday and we will lose comfortably. Tbh I am surprised our sluggish defence has''nt been breached more often of late, may be it will take a team like the Saints to show how vulnerable our defence really is. An injection of pace ANYWHERE on the pitch is most definitely required as we do indeed look like a one trick pony. I genuinely fear for us at Southampton ! [:(]

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]Tbh I am surprised our sluggish defence has''nt been breached more often of late, may be it will take a team like the Saints to show how vulnerable our defence really is.[/quote]This would be the same defence which has conceded 5 goals in the last 11 games, or a goal every 190 minutes or so, and only conceded the second goal at Leeds due to a catastrophic/freaky goalkeeping blunder? Yes, that''s vulnerability for you. [img]http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/237i4CEA9AA2FF21CBB1/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1[/img]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary Pirate"]Tbh I am surprised our sluggish defence has''nt been breached more often of late, may be it will take a team like the Saints to show how vulnerable our defence really is.[/quote]

This would be the same defence which has conceded 5 goals in the last 11 games, or a goal every 190 minutes or so, and only conceded the second goal at Leeds due to a catastrophic/freaky goalkeeping blunder?

Yes, that''s vulnerability for you.

[img]http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/237i4CEA9AA2FF21CBB1/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1[/img]

[/quote]

Yep, that would be the defence I am talking about. It could be more to do with opponents lack of guile to break through it rather than how good it is. Next week will tell us a bit more about it. I hope you hav''nt got your head in you hands afterwards [:)]

You see, this is what staggers me about some of our supporters.  If we don''t concede goals, it''s because the teams we are playing are rubbish and not because our defence is doing a good job.  Enjoy the fact we''re solid at the moment and get off people''s backs.

THe game against s''ton will be a different game, they can play football and will not be camped out in their own half.

I can see it going similar to the leeds game,but hopefully we''ll get the 3 points

I agree with both sides of the argument here, on one hand our defensive record under Lambert has been superb, with doherty and askou in the main providing excellent defensive cover for the trio upfront along with russell HOWEVER,I also agree with the OP, next week will be a real test for us against a quality strike force (Connoly & Rickie Lambert), we have seen flashes that any kind of pace chucked at our centre-backs and we can''t deal with it...against the tall, immobile strikers (michael ricketts) were superb and win every header and composed in bringing the ball out, great...but against pace ala beckford it''s a different ball game, so yeah next week for me will be the judge as to what I believe we can achieve this season!

Is that the same defence that kept Beckford quiet for nearly the entire match and only scored because of a freak keeper error?Can we not just admit we''ve got a good defence, heck a good team, and get on with it? OF COURSE the better teams will test it, that''s why they are the better teams. But if we lose it doesn''t make them rubbish all of a sudden. Do the last nine or ten games count for nothing?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]You see, this is what staggers me about some of our supporters.  If we don''t concede goals, it''s because the teams we are playing are rubbish and not because our defence is doing a good job.  Enjoy the fact we''re solid at the moment and get off people''s backs.
[/quote]

And, this is what staggers me, I merely passed on an opinion through my own observations, I am SUGGESTING that it MAYBE because....I am not claiming other teams are rubbish and I am not on anyones back. I am a big fan of the Doc and Askou and enjoying my football thank you very much. Don''t be so touchy ![*-)]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Is that the same defence that kept Beckford quiet for nearly the entire match and only scored because of a freak keeper error?Can we not just admit we''ve got a good defence, heck a good team, and get on with it? OF COURSE the better teams will test it, that''s why they are the better teams. But if we lose it doesn''t make them rubbish all of a sudden. Do the last nine or ten games count for nothing?[/quote]Whilst I agree with you graham, beckford did have atleast 2 more guilt chances he should have buried...pace hurts us, the reason we got relegated last year

[quote user="The Lord"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Is that the same defence that kept Beckford quiet for nearly the entire match and only scored because of a freak keeper error?

Can we not just admit we''ve got a good defence, heck a good team, and get on with it? OF COURSE the better teams will test it, that''s why they are the better teams. But if we lose it doesn''t make them rubbish all of a sudden. Do the last nine or ten games count for nothing?
[/quote]

Whilst I agree with you graham, beckford did have atleast 2 more guilt chances he should have buried...pace hurts us, the reason we got relegated last year
[/quote]

Pace hurts most teams, and that''s why I just cannot understand why Cody does not get more opportunities. Surely, he should start against Southampton because on the break he can be devastating.