Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

We should use the Doc as cover while he's here

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Is the Doc really free to leave?

I''m probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but it wouldn''t suprise me if this was a ploy by Lambert.  Lambert knows the Doc has the ability to perform, especially at this level, Lambert said the Doc had gone a bit stale, something which the Doc agreed with. 

Maybe this was Lambert''s plan to ''freshen'' him up, by telling him he is free to leave?

If it didn''t work, Lambert is justified with his decision to allow him to go.  If on the otherhand it did work, and the Doc starts performing a lot better, Lambert then has a decision to make come January if someone comes in for him, and even if the Doc did go in Jan, we would have benefitted from his improved performances prior to this.  Likewise, if the doc stayed till the end of the season, he would believe that the rest of the season would be his ''shop window'' to earn a deal at another club over the summer, which may lead to consistently improved performances.  If we found ourselves promoted at the end of the season and the Doc had been playing really well, it may be worth keeping him for the Championship season ahead.

Like I say, I''m probably jumping to assumptions, not only this, it shouldn''t take this to get a player to perform.

[*-)]

[/quote]

[:O] [:O][:O] You couldn''t write it

[;)]

Haha. Congrats on your premonition. Here''s the tough question though... After all his performances in the Championship, and (despite having a great season) still showing he has tendancy to be a tad "hands on" has he done enough for you to get a new deal and get one last shot at "our expected level?"

PFA League One Team of the Year

Gary Doherty (Norwich)Veteran defender Gary appeared to be on his way out of Carrow Road at

the end of last season but the Republic of Ireland international has

thrived this term under the guidance of City boss Paul Lambert as the

Canaries prepare for a return to the Championship.Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)

The Norwich midfielder continues to be a revelation, operating in

behind the two strikers for Paul Lambert’s men. With City in such

free-scoring form this term, the 27-year-old could yet break the 20-goal

barrier between now and the end of the campaign.

Grant Holt (Norwich)

City skipper Holt has also reached the 30-goal mark in what has been a

brilliant second half of the campaign for the high-flying Canaries.

Now Holt has his sights set on Terry Allcock’s club record of 37 in a

season. “First and foremost, the most important thing is to get promoted

and win the league, but I want to beat it,” he said.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Haha. Congrats on your premonition. Here''s the tough question though... After all his performances in the Championship, and (despite having a great season) still showing he has tendancy to be a tad "hands on" has he done enough for you to get a new deal and get one last shot at "our expected level?"[/quote]

For me, definitely so.  Letting him go would be stupid.  He is currently (in my eyes) the best central defender at the club.  Let him go and we have to fund, what two central defenders?  How much will that cost us?  Which will leave, Whitbread, Askou, Nelson as cover - I know others can slot in at centre back, but you don''t want to go down that road, not in the Championship.  I just don''t think those 3 are strong enough.

I would have thought that Whitbread and/or Askou would be the two most likely to leave.  I would bring in one decent central defender to partner the Doc and would even also look at someone like Shackell (who can perform at Champ level and wouldn''t cost the earth) as backup perhaps.  That would give you, Doherty, A N Other, Nelson and Shackell - which should be strong enough for The Championship for me. 

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Haha. Congrats on your premonition. Here''s the tough question though... After all his performances in the Championship, and (despite having a great season) still showing he has tendancy to be a tad "hands on" has he done enough for you to get a new deal and get one last shot at "our expected level?"[/quote]

I don''t think that''s really a tough question - it''s pretty obvious that Gary Doherty is a Championship level player. He''s definitely better than League 1, as this season has shown. Have we got a better defender at the club? Nope. Are we likely to have the money to sign someone as good or better than him? Nope.

As for the "hands on" thing... that is just such a load of rubbish. He''s no different to any other defender in that respect, defenders at the very top of the game will grab and grapple with their opponent. And how many fouls do you see the Doc give away in a game? One or two maybe??