Sign in to follow this  
spm2866

Last Year-This Year NCFC

Last Year NCFC - Loan Players

This Year NCFC - Trialists & Free Transfers

Dropping down to League 1 because of the amount of money we spent on loan players, now we are left with just the players not needed from lower league clubs (except Bridges because he was at Hull).

OTBC since 1969 

And Tudor Jones who was at Swansea, Matty Gill who was vital in two successive promotions with Exeter, Nelson, who turned down a contract offer from Hartlepool and Theokopolis who has just won the A -League with Melbourne and voted best keepr in the league. Hardly the biggest bunch of rejected players from lower league clubs is it?

Very well put walking man.

I for one am fairly happy with the players Gunn has brought in so far. They all seem like calculated transfers and none of them seem like panic buys (yet)

I trust the team to only chose to sign the trialists that are worthy of a contract.

IMO we just need two target men (essential), a LB for cover (for WHEN drury gets injured) RB (not essential) and sign to right wingers who I expect to be Neilson and Whaley with Smith as cover

I would agree with that Butterbean.

I really like what Gunn & Co are doing with early signings to allow the team to gel. I also like bringing triallists in so they can be judged properly on their play, how they fit into the squad, and what their attitude is like.

At the moment City have around 18 senior players (including Clingan & Russell at the moment) and 9 youngsters on contract. If  Clingan & Russell do leave it''s a squad of 25. There are also 5 senior triallists (Maric, Bridges, McVeigh, Neilson, & Craig) and 4 young triallists (Powell, Mtandari, Chrysanthou & Joarder). This looks like a reasonable basis for a good sized squad in place for the new season without huge outlay. City could even end up sending players out on loan rather than bringing them in!

Sorry, my point was to show what last years wasted money has left us with, I''m happy with what Mr Gunn is doing with mine and many others rebate and i''m hoping this new breed of player which is "green and yellow" through and through, shows us the true hardy 18,000 fans what has been missing since we got promoted to the Premier League.

The trialist issue must be able to dig out a gem or two!

There are many people upset about the amount of freebies and trialists at the club this year and with my post i was showing what NCFC has been left with after most of last years transfer budget was wasted on loanees.

People have to realise the club has no money due to many factors which have long been spoke about, there are clubs who are being taken over at this time, we are not one of them due to the clubs stability.

People only buy into football when the club is on its knees or is desperate to jump to another level of success!

OTBC since 1969

I wonder how, with the probable much larger budget afforded to him last Summer, the sort of players Roeder might have been able to get in if he had taken the approach Gunn and co have had to,this time around-and not spend it all on expensive loans, such as the "beautiful mover" from Portsmouth and Troy Double-Barrelled?

Interestingly, no-one has signed Lita yet, who is a free agent. I know he''s out of our league now, but wonder why no-one seems keen to get him?

[quote user="spm2866"]

Last Year NCFC - Loan Players

This Year NCFC - Trialists & Free Transfers

Dropping down to League 1 because of the amount of money we spent on loan players, now we are left with just the players not needed from lower league clubs (except Bridges because he was at Hull).

OTBC since 1969 

[/quote]

You mean players not needed from the premiership? Three of our trialists have been released by Tottenham Hotspur, another released by Hull City. Another has been released by Celta Viga. Nielson is non league, but hardly not needed by Cambridge City!

We can''t play trialists. Giving players a trial is something that EVERY manager does, at EVERY club. Glen Roeder had about 20, but they club simply closed off Colney to the media instead of being open and honest to the fans. We only found out about 4 all season.

Gunn just cannot win. People say that they want a club that is open and honest with the fans, tells them whats going on, how it is...... and now he gets slated for it?

Last pre season I started a thread about 4 trialists we had at Colney (when it was closed off for pre season), stating that they were foreign players and their positions. Unfortunately my source was sacked by the club for other rumours which I did not pass on. The day after the thread there was an article in the Pink Un admitting that we had a Right back and centre back on trial. One dutch and one swiss or something similar. I was shocked and suprised that many people thought that this was odd. This sums up how ''closed doors'' this club has been for years, and how different the club is being run now.  By the way, Hasselbaink WAS on trial at the club.

A year ago the club would have had this many, or even more trialists, but just wouldn''t have been so open and would have played at least two pre season friendlys behind closed doors and with no public knowledge.

I could not be more grateful for the way that Gunn has been with the fans with regards to out of contract players. Contracted players is a different matter, as we don''t want him to jeopardise negotiations.

And as i have said since with some luck Mr Gunn wiil unearth a gem or two from the trialists.

OTBC since 1969

[quote user="Old Shuck"]I wonder how, with the probable much larger budget afforded to him last Summer, the sort of players Roeder might have been able to get in if he had taken the approach Gunn and co have had to,this time around-and not spend it all on expensive loans, such as the "beautiful mover" from Portsmouth and Troy Double-Barrelled? Interestingly, no-one has signed Lita yet, who is a free agent. I know he''s out of our league now, but wonder why no-one seems keen to get him?[/quote]

Apparently he was offered £26,000 from Sheffield United, before he proceeded to ask for more.

Kevin Blackwell laughed him off, and told the press. No club will offer him a deal now because of that. It is also rumoured that Lita''s agent went back to Sheffield United and offered to play for £20,000 a week....... but Kevin Blackwell is not somebody to take the p*ss out of.

Lita is clearly an idiot.