Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

Clingan sent to Coventry!

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Thought so. But I always wonder when that happens. I tend not to believe stuff unless it is in quotes.[/quote]

It happens about 80 per cent more than on the record.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]

Well I would rather be called a pratt by you, than be delusional in thinking that Doherty is our most reliable player! Give me a Malkay, Newman, Jackson, Newsome, Butterworth etc ANY day of the week over that Donkey!

[/quote]

When did any League One club have a defender like Malky, Newman, Jackson, Newsome, Butterworth in their side??? With the exception of Malky they were all premier standard defenders that we could not attract as a champs side.  Doc is nowhere near their ability,  if he was he woudd be in the prem.  No one is saying he is as good as them.   What he is though is a decent enoughchamps defender who will be plenty good enough for the team that we are next season,  a league one side. Camul is right in his assessment,  and there wont be many better defenders in league one next season.

Malky was a natural champs defender,  who like doc would excel in league one as they are both big physical players.  Mackays only strength over Doc was his leadership qualitys,   beyond that there is little difference.

We are no longer prem league quality - and have truly been a champs team for 14 years.   Now we are no longer that and so we need players who can get us promoted from League One and Doc does fit that bill

[quote user="ndhscanary"]I have to say I was once Dohertys biggest critic but it seemed as soon as shackell got sold to wolves he improved a hell of a lot and I personally think he was one of our best players. You have to remember he hassnt even played in all the games and the number of centre back parternships last season must have been in double figures. There was no consistency there. He has probably been our centre back who has played to most and personally i think he has been our best defended and is not to blame. Looking at it our defence was not awful this season. Apart from the last day off the top of my head I cant think of us getting to manys thrashing like the ones we have been used to getting in recent years. I just think it is our inability to score goals which has been a huge problem[/quote]

the doc is a shockingly crap defender but the best we have

You''re right in what you''re saying zipper. And maybe Doherty will excel next year. But I just can''t bring myself to rave about him like a lot of fans do. When I run through the names of players we''ve had in that position, it just makes me sad. You build successful teams from the back. And I feel as long as he occupies one of those positions, we''re never going to be a successful team. For me the main qualities of a centre half is someone with great composure, who can read the game, have good positional awareness, and be a leader of all men! Sadly I don''t think he has many of those qualities