Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

Clingan sent to Coventry!

Or fill a £1m shortfall that has been "already accounted for"

Prepare to hear " with only 50% of season ticket holders returning their rebates we had to use the Clingan money to fill a gap in the finances"

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Fernando Derveld"]All this talk from the "happy clappers" / I-don''t-care-what-league-we''re-in brigade will fall apart as they realise that their enjoyment of their day out is directly related to the quality of football on offer. A few months of agricultural garbage and they''ll painfully realise it really does matter what league we''re in.[/quote]

These ''supporters'' are just as guilty as Smith.

[/quote]Who do u think you are supporters are guilty of anything. you think just because you''re constantly being pessimistic you''re a cut above the rest. Seriously grow up

[quote user="S.Yorks Canary"]thought we turned down £3m in Jan for him?  Why would let him go for £1m now???????[/quote]

i heard it was ony about £250,000 if it was £3million he would of gone then

[quote user="AJ"]Clingan could do much better than Coventry. I would like to hold out for 1.5 million in honesty, I reckon we could get that for him.
[/quote]

Totally agree on both points, AJ. I think a club like Cardiff would be about right for Sammy. Wait until Joe Ledley moves on to Spurs or Hull and then up the price to £1.5m :) 

[quote user="S.Yorks Canary"]thought we turned down £3m in Jan for him?  Why would let him go for £1m now???????[/quote]

We wouldn''t have been able to turn down £3mil. The rumours of him linked to Fulham were just that, rumours.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

We wouldn''t have been able to turn down £3mil. The rumours of him linked to Fulham were just that, rumours.

[/quote]

Quite right, I think they might have enquired about his sevices, but Fulham never officially made an offer. Much like Peter Cullum. lol.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="S.Yorks Canary"]thought we turned down £3m in Jan for him?  Why would let him go for £1m now???????[/quote] We wouldn''t have been able to turn down £3mil. The rumours of him linked to Fulham were just that, rumours.[/quote]

Quite right, I think they might have enquired about his sevices, but Fulham never officially made an offer. Much like Peter Cullum. lol.

God, I see what people mean about the IE8 issues on these boards - I''m at college!

[quote user="Delias recipie for disaster"]

Prepare to hear " with only 50% of season ticket holders returning their rebates we had to use the Clingan money to fill a gap in the finances"

[/quote]

lol can almost hear the club stating that now, it''s almost laughable.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Delias recipie for disaster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The guilt lies with the board.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Delias recipie for disaster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It does indeed, but will they feel guilty?  Doubt it somehow.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Delias recipie for disaster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It does indeed, but will they feel guilty?  Doubt it somehow.

[/quote]It disappears with pie - and Delia has a lot of it [;)]

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]why can''t someone come in for Doherty?![/quote]

Pratt why would we want to get rid of our most reliable player who ws Player Of The Season

So reliable we got relegated (for the second time), so reliable we had the third worst defence in the league.

Calling someone a pratt doesn''t make their opinion less valid than yours.

And... he wasn''t player of the season.

Granted, i don''t blame him solely at all, i blame several players. But i wonder how many times you go to the same well and say it''s not their fault just because they try very hard. I don''t fault his commitment, i do fault his ability.

I blame Otsemobor''s poor defending too, i blame Croft for not being able to cross for a winger, i blame Russell for running round like a headless chicken with no footballing skills.

I think it''s time to change round a couple of players and not just keep them because we have dropped a division and hope they should be better in this one.

I know i will get slated, but we have to blame the footballers in addition to the board.

Well I don''t really fault his ability much I''m afraid. For me he was our best player. He might not be the world''s best defender but he does a good solid job I think. I certainly can''t remember him having many bad games this year. He might ''look'' awkward but other than three or four games I can''t remember many centre-forwards tearing him to bits. He knows his job and does it well, I just wish more of our lot could do the same.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Well I don''t really fault his ability much I''m afraid. For me he was our best player. He might not be the world''s best defender but he does a good solid job I think. I certainly can''t remember him having many bad games this year. He might ''look'' awkward but other than three or four games I can''t remember many centre-forwards tearing him to bits. He knows his job and does it well, I just wish more of our lot could do the same.
[/quote]

Well said.

Unfortunately some Norwich fans seem to think every team below Premier League level has big tall and strong centrebacks, with pace to burn that win every header, win every tackle, play 60 yard pinpoint passes for fun and never ever give away a foul at all. Apart from us of course, Gary Doherty is the only defender below Premier League who doesn''t fit that description.

If Doherty went out and played wearing a Fleming or Mackay mask then there''d probably be very few that had a problem with the way he played but some people have made up their mind that they will only see fault where he is concerned.

I''ll admit that in the first few months he was here I had my doubts about him but I''ve changed my mind because I''ve seen that he has done really well for us when so many others around him have let us down. Doesn''t deserve to take any blame for where we are now, in my opinion.

[quote user="pliff"][quote user="Yellow Submarine"]why can''t someone come in for Doherty?![/quote] Pratt why would we want to get rid of our most reliable player who ws Player Of The Season[/quote]

Well I would rather be called a pratt by you, than be delusional in thinking that Doherty is our most reliable player! Give me a Malkay, Newman, Jackson, Newsome, Butterworth etc ANY day of the week over that Donkey!

"well he puts his body on the line!" just doesn''t cut it for me! He isn''t a leader, he doesn''t inspire confidence and he gets turned inside out by players like an obese John Hatson!

I can''t comment on the Doc because I haven''t seen him play enough but a solid, reliable defence is absolutely essential in League One.  Without it any team in the division are likely to find themselves in trouble quite quickly.  There are some "clumsy" players in League One as well but sometimes they redeem themselves by just being prepared to get in and get in the way to break up an attack and if he falls into that category he might do quite well for you.  If he stays we will all soon find out anyway.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]

[quote user="pliff"][quote user="Yellow Submarine"]why can''t someone come in for Doherty?![/quote] Pratt why would we want to get rid of our most reliable player who ws Player Of The Season[/quote]

Well I would rather be called a pratt by you, than be delusional in thinking that Doherty is our most reliable player! Give me a Malkay, Newman, Jackson, Newsome, Butterworth etc ANY day of the week over that Donkey!

"well he puts his body on the line!" just doesn''t cut it for me! He isn''t a leader, he doesn''t inspire confidence and he gets turned inside out by players like an obese John Hatson!

[/quote]

Yellow Sub I''m with you on this 100%.  Donkey doesn''t begin to describe this pedestrian defender who even though "captain", cannot lead because his lack of ability is so obvious that he inspires nothing within the team, and seems unable to marshall the defence like any of the names you have mentioned used to.

I cannot believe that there are not better defenders available who are either free agents or who could be signed for a moderate fee, that would help to give us a much more solid defence than we have had to put up with for some seasons.  Our goals against columns for the last few seasons make appalling reading, and until something is done about that we haven''t a hope of recovery.

I have to say I was once Dohertys biggest critic but it seemed as soon as shackell got sold to wolves he improved a hell of a lot and I personally think he was one of our best players. You have to remember he hassnt even played in all the games and the number of centre back parternships last season must have been in double figures. There was no consistency there. He has probably been our centre back who has played to most and personally i think he has been our best defended and is not to blame. Looking at it our defence was not awful this season. Apart from the last day off the top of my head I cant think of us getting to manys thrashing like the ones we have been used to getting in recent years. I just think it is our inability to score goals which has been a huge problem

Coventry have confirmed their interest in Clingan but say he is only one of a "number of players" that Chris Coleman is considering.  They refuse to confirm a £1m valuation.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Anyone else find it weird that there is an article confirming Coventry''s interest, but no quotes.[/quote]

That is because the club will only confirm it "off the record." - aka write it but no quotes "down to me."[:)]

Commonplace.  Very similar to the deliciously funny current political shenanigans currently being played out as in "how on earth did this confidential email being sent to Labour MPs get published everywhere."