Sign in to follow this  
bananaman

Close, but no cigar

Every so often, posts crop up about the "worst" or the "best" Norwich player or team.

I would like to approach it from a different angle - who were the most promising players we had? And why did they never fulfil their potential?

I''ll start the ball rolling with -

Adrian Coote. Scored for fun in the reserves but couldn''t hit a cow''s arse with a banjo in the first team. The great white hope turned out to be a total disappointment.

Rumours persist that he was partial to getting blind drunk and smoking a few tabs. Shame really...

Cootes is a Gorleston lad, pity he did''nt make it, would have given my user name a bit of status.

One of the young lads who worked with me used to hang out with him, told me Cootey spent lot of time smoking big cigars drinking a lot and impressing his minimum-wage-peers with how many £100''s he was earning each week.

I think he used to freeze when playing in front of large crowds which may explain his success in the reserves and not the first team.

How about Cottee.  He was prolific in his career but couldnt score an open goal from 3 yards for Norwich before having the cheek to say a couple of years ago that norwich had never found a goalscorer to replace him since he left!!

Mark Rivers

When we first signed him I was so so excited.  I thought it was the best signing we had made in years.  I loved him at Crewe.  Scored for fun, excting, pacey.  Unfortunately, it never happened here.  Shame

And more recently, Mr Llewllyn falls into the "never made it" category.

He was supposed to have everything, but frankly, I never saw it. He scored a couple of goals for us that looked as if they might "ignite" his career, but it just never got going. Then we stuck Paul McVeigh out on the left and voila, problem solved!

I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling (for whatever reason) that Ryan Jarvis may feature on a similar post in a few years. I really hope not.

Adrian Coote is now playing in the 2nd division Yarmouth Sunday league.How the mighty have fallen, Full International now playing in front of one man and his dog and still in mid 20''s.