Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

We can stay up but Gunn must be brave and drop players who are not performing

I still believe we can stay up based on the squad of players we have at present, but Gunn must not be afraid to drop players who are not performing.  I base my comments on what I have seen at home games, and what I have listened to on Radio Norfolk for away matches.

We now have a crucial home game against Burnley and assuming all the players are fit I would start with Cort and Killen up front, I would have a midfield of Carney, Clingan, Gow and Croft, and I would play Marshall, Otsemebor, Doherty, Shackell and Grounds at the back.

I would pick my bench from Nelson, Drury, Leijer, Bertrand, Hoolahan, Pattison and McDonald. 

I would drop Fotheringham and Russell as I believe they create nothing from midfield, and I would drop Cureton because I cannot see him scoring another goal all season.

[quote user="silver fox"]

I still believe we can stay up based on the squad of players we have at present, but Gunn must not be afraid to drop players who are not performing.  I base my comments on what I have seen at home games, and what I have listened to on Radio Norfolk for away matches.

We now have a crucial home game against Burnley and assuming all the players are fit I would start with Cort and Killen up front, I would have a midfield of Carney, Clingan, Gow and Croft, and I would play Marshall, Otsemebor, Doherty, Shackell and Grounds at the back.

I would pick my bench from Nelson, Drury, Leijer, Bertrand, Hoolahan, Pattison and McDonald. 

I would drop Fotheringham and Russell as I believe they create nothing from midfield, and I would drop Cureton because I cannot see him scoring another goal all season.

[/quote]

You mean like Roeder after Plymouth away last year?

Corporal Jones style?

Wheels and full circles and all that?

OTBC

I agree with you list of non performers silver fox,  but would add dropping Ots who has been equally as bad.

That still leaves us with a problem with Shacks and Doc a the back as they seem to just play poorly as a pair. 

Thats also true -  but the one SF has mentioned have been particularly AWOL

Pretty much agree in general with your thoughts SF, but I''d go for this choice:MarshallDrury, Shackell, Doherty, LeijerCarney, Pattison, Clingan, CroftCort, GowWith a bench of:Rudd, Grounds, Hoolahan, Russell, Fozzy, Killen and McDonald.Before recent matches, I''d have gone with Killen over Cort, but the guy is in great form and deserves his place, but I think that together they''re a bit similar in style of play, whereas Gow is something a bit different. If Cort gets tired, we can bring Killen on, or if Gow is not performing we could give Cody a chance. Has to be Leijer given the game at right back purely because of Semi''s awful form, and I feel Drury is more than good enough when he''s got Carney in front of him. Nelson is poor whereas Rudd is a future star and on-form for the U18''s. Should we take a good lead, we can also bring Russell and or Fozzy on to be more defensive if needed.Thoughts?Indy.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Pretty much agree in general with your thoughts SF, but I''d go for this choice:

Marshall

Drury, Shackell, Doherty, Leijer

Carney, Pattison, Clingan, Croft

Cort, Gow

With a bench of:

Rudd, Grounds, Hoolahan, Russell, Fozzy, Killen and McDonald.

Before recent matches, I''d have gone with Killen over Cort, but the guy is in great form and deserves his place, but I think that together they''re a bit similar in style of play, whereas Gow is something a bit different. If Cort gets tired, we can bring Killen on, or if Gow is not performing we could give Cody a chance. Has to be Leijer given the game at right back purely because of Semi''s awful form, and I feel Drury is more than good enough when he''s got Carney in front of him. Nelson is poor whereas Rudd is a future star and on-form for the U18''s. Should we take a good lead, we can also bring Russell and or Fozzy on to be more defensive if needed.

Thoughts?

Indy.
[/quote] Playing Gow in midfield would be like having a third striker as he has said he prefers to play up front.  I have not seen Leijer play so I cannot comment.  As long as the central midfield pairing are replaced I would expect to se a big improvement in going forward and creating chances.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Pretty much agree in general with your thoughts SF, but I''d go for this choice:

Marshall

Drury, Shackell, Doherty, Leijer

Carney, Pattison, Clingan, Croft

Cort, Gow

With a bench of:

Rudd, Grounds, Hoolahan, Russell, Fozzy, Killen and McDonald.

Before recent matches, I''d have gone with Killen over Cort, but the guy is in great form and deserves his place, but I think that together they''re a bit similar in style of play, whereas Gow is something a bit different. If Cort gets tired, we can bring Killen on, or if Gow is not performing we could give Cody a chance. Has to be Leijer given the game at right back purely because of Semi''s awful form, and I feel Drury is more than good enough when he''s got Carney in front of him. Nelson is poor whereas Rudd is a future star and on-form for the U18''s. Should we take a good lead, we can also bring Russell and or Fozzy on to be more defensive if needed.

Thoughts?

Indy.
[/quote]

Mostly agree Indy. I like Semmy a lot and will defend him to the hilt on here, but he is hving an awful time (and to be honest looks to be carrying an injury to me). Having never seen Leijer I don''t know if he''s the answer or not. Possibly Rusty to right back? Carney deserves a shot and would add strength and balance to the left side and Hoolahan has done nothing since the first half against Southampton. Has to be Matty Patty and Sammy in the middle as Fozzy and Rusty are just not effective at moving the ball around the team or dominating games. And it''s Cort plus one up front. Temptation would be Killen and really start banging the ball in the mixer.

During the course of this sorry season it has become obvious that our best central midfield pairing has been Clingan and Patty.

It worries me immensely that Gunn has apparently ostracised Matty from the squad a la Roeder with Lappin (who I also believe should get a chance).

To me it is inconceivable that Matty can''t get in our first choice 16, not even as an impact sub.

I don''t know why Pattison is not in the squad at present unless he is injured.  If he is fit then I would certainly prefer him before Russell and Fotheringham.  I can''t make my mind up whether Gunn actually believes Russell and Fotheringham are his best midfield pairing, or he is just sticking with those players who talk a good game on the training ground and to the media.

Gunn has stated that there is an honesty in the squad at the moment. If that is the case, then Russell needs to tell the manager that he believes he is not playing well at the moment, and someone else should be given a chance in midfield.  Fotheringham should stand up and tell the manager that there are better candidates to be captain.  Cureton needs to admit that his legs have gone and that he is consistently missing easy chances.  Otsemebor needs to admit that he is off his game at the moment ( possibly due to carrying an injury) and would perhaps benefit from being rested.  I don''t doubt for one moment that all these players are genuinely giving their best for the club, but at the moment it isn''t working, and the manager needs to make changes.

[quote user="silver fox"]

[/quote] I would also drop Russell from mid-field, and although I don''t like the idea of round pegs in square holes I would play him at right back, if Leijer is not up to the job. Come on shoot me down, but I don''t think that Otsemebor is consistent enough, or tough enough for the dog-fight we are in!   

we have the players but as many say. we dont have a "team" capable of staying up.i think we should have the team like this:                               marshallleijer            doc               shackell           groundscroft            clingan (c)     pattison        carney                    killen        gow/cortsubs: nelson, berti, fozzy, curo, gow/cort