Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

What's the Alternative to the Loan Signings?

Ok - no one like''s all the loans Roeder has got in (I forgot all about OJ!) but really what is the alternative, we have little money to spend on new players and I think Roeder hasn''t done too bad he''s spent about a million quid and got Bell, Hoolahan, Clinigan, Pattison. But we simply don''t have the cash to spend on the quality needed and I''d rather have the loan signings than fritter money away on players who aren''t going to move us forward.

So the alternative to the loans in my opinion would be poor quality signing Chris Brown anyone? Ian Murray? Simon Lappin? or would you rather have Lupoli, Kennedy and Bertrand there just no comparison in my view - so keep getting the loans and watch out for bargains like Clinigan.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Ok - no one like''s all the loans Roeder has got in (I forgot all about OJ!) but really what is the alternative, we have little money to spend on new players and I think Roeder hasn''t done too bad he''s spent about a million quid and got Bell, Hoolahan, Clinigan, Pattison. But we simply don''t have the cash to spend on the quality needed and I''d rather have the loan signings than fritter money away on players who aren''t going to move us forward.

So the alternative to the loans in my opinion would be poor quality signing Chris Brown anyone? Ian Murray? Simon Lappin? or would you rather have Lupoli, Kennedy and Bertrand there just no comparison in my view - so keep getting the loans and watch out for bargains like Clinigan.

[/quote]

Chris Brown right now sounds a pretty good idea if you ask me!

Yes those quality loans have moved us on so much that we will soon be back where we were when Roeder first arrived , i would much rather see promising players bought from the lower leagues you keep getting loans in and you will never have a settled side .Loans should be used to add 2 or 3 quality players to a squad , when we loaned Crouch and Hucks they were a class above what was already here , Roeders loans are not and some clearly are not even good enough to make the squad , waste of what little money we did have .

am i right in saying, that, if the club tomorrow said we would now be investing all our money in youth, and that this will take 3/4yrs to reep the benefits, we would all agree and go along with it?but because we spend money on crap. and end up nowhere we get frustrated

[quote user="jay kay"]am i right in saying, that, if the club tomorrow said we would now be investing all our money in youth, and that this will take 3/4yrs to reep the benefits, we would all agree and go along with it?
but because we spend money on crap. and end up nowhere we get frustrated
[/quote]

Yes Jay you lovely old boy, I think you are quite right, It would take 3/4 seasons to reap the benefits but thats something we haven''t got, I feel we need to be getting 2 or 3 young players in the side now, like Daley and Renton, If we could get them established it would be a bonus for us. I thought we had done this with Martin but that proved a disaster, I will never understand how he chucked it all away in the manner he did, such a waste....arrdee.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

[/quote]

I know it''s not really the point of what you''re saying but Chris Brown wasn''t poor quality. I thought he was a pretty decent player and was disappointed when we sold him. Likewise I wouldn''t consider Simon Lappin a poor quality signing, I think most people would agree he''s handy player to have in the squad.

But I do appreciate what you''re trying to say. I don''t think anyone would mind the loan signings if they were playing well and the team in general was playing well.

I''d rather we trawled the lower leagues trying to spot talent. It''s there. Admitadly it''s fairly think pickings, but as I outlined in another post, after having attended a Millwall V Aldershot game, I spotted at least one guy (Anthony Straker) who looks like he could be a potential class act at this level. We need to try harder to keep ours open in the lower leagues. These guys are cheaper, and are hungry to succeed. Lee Marshall was highly rated and we picked him up from Enfield for £10k about a decade ago. These players are out there. We have to try harder to find them.

It''s guys from lower leagues or youth or loanees. That''s our choice at the moment. Youth development takes time, loanees a short term fix. We must try harder to discover the Andy Linighans and Steve Bruce''s of the future. Both came from the lower leagues.

I always thought there were three reasons to get players on loan 1) cover for an injured player 2) to either save you from the drop or give you a push on to promotion 3) Check out a possible signing.....

I never thought loan players were meant to be the backbone of your team. How ever hard Roeder & Clark work with the loan players - ultimately City gets no benefit, another club does.

With the youngsters the policy is contributing to catch 22 - they won''t get experience without playing. The players we have on contracts who aren''t in the team won''t we gettig any better for sitting on the sidelines. Lappin for one could become a decent player if he got his chances.

It is time for a change of policy - Norwich City in the past has always thrived on picking players up from the lower leagues and developing them. The players are still out there.

[quote user="arrdee"]

[quote user="jay kay"]am i right in saying, that, if the club tomorrow said we would now be investing all our money in youth, and that this will take 3/4yrs to reep the benefits, we would all agree and go along with it?but because we spend money on crap. and end up nowhere we get frustrated[/quote]

Yes Jay you lovely old boy, I think you are quite right, It would take 3/4 seasons to reap the benefits but thats something we haven''t got, I feel we need to be getting 2 or 3 young players in the side now, like Daley and Renton, If we could get them established it would be a bonus for us. I thought we had done this with Martin but that proved a disaster, I will never understand how he chucked it all away in the manner he did, such a waste....arrdee.

[/quote]look at southampton, an extreme case of us, no money so they invest in youth and hope to generate money tthrough success or assets selling.

I just don''t think we need them all. I don''t think we need two players in every position, we never have before! I think that at our level and given the supposed lack of quality in last years squad, we should have bought quality in and taken our chances playing players out of position or kids if we got injuries. Maybe even used the emergency loan for what it is intended, rather than paying wages for players who don''t play. Troy and OJ were completely pointless signings and given that they were not scouted but brought in on a recommendation from their clubs, rather worrying. All Sibierski has achieved is keeping Lupoli out of the side when he is (the only?) loanee we have all season. Bertrand and Omozuzi have kept our own decent full backs out of the side. All very unneccesary, I think we''d have been fine if we''d just signed Kennedy, Lupoli and Lita on loan. If we are so skint, surely two players in every positon is a luxury we can''t afford.