Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

Open letter to Mr G Roeder

[quote user="The Judge"]

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]Dear Mr Roeder,Since your arrival at this football club you have succeeded in banging in all but the last few nails into the coffin of the football club that is such an important part of my heritage, my life, and the life of thousands of other Norwich City Fans. Whilst doing so you have shown absolute disregard to the opinions, feelings and beliefs of those fans. The fans that will be the lifeblood of this club if, or possibly when, this club gets relegated and files for administration. The fans that have followed this club through thick and thin.I have been particularly upset with your attitude towards the fans, and players, of Norwich City Football Club. Your obnoxious and arrogant attitude is not welcome at this club and will not, has not, been tolerated. Your treatment of Darren Huckerby, a true hero of so many fans, disgusted even the thickest skinned and coldest of Norwich fans. I will never forgive that. Upon leaving Norwich City Football, if you choose not to resign, you would have taken a large proportion of the FANS money in return for helping to destruct their football club. I ask that you resign with immediately effect, to enable the board of directors to appoint an alternative manager. A manager that the fans can relate to, a manager that cares about other people and the football club, and hopefully as a result a manager that can save us from relegation to league one and begin to lay the foundations for a sustainable long term future and the ability to invest money into permanent signings with potential resale value - a capital and asset growth that will ensure the future of this football club.At this moment in time, with the situation that this football club is in, I would personally be content for this club to be an average Championship team for four or five years, as long as we as fans can identify with the players and staff of the football club and we can begin to build a community focused and enjoyable football experience again. As of today, 29th November 2008, we are 21st in the league with about 14 permanently contracted pro players. Regrettably, it appears that you have failed to lay the foundations for a promising future and have instead taken actions that seriously compromise the ability of this club to compete on any level. I call therefore for you to resign from your position of manager of Norwich City FC, with no compensation payment, and look forward in anticipation to press coverage reporting this accordingly.Yours Sincerely,

SuperWesIrishWizard (pink un forum member and life time Norwich fan)[/quote]

Well written and passionate letter Super, but I''d like you and those who think this is so fantastic to think through the answers to some of these questions.

1. Who put the first 98 out of the 100 nails in our coffin ??

2. How by changing manager will this change fortunes on the pitch ?? - remember there is NO money to spend to bring in new players, and if Roeder goes so will Clark, Stephenson etc.

3. Whilst agreeing Roeder should be more empathetic towards fans, why should he listen to the opinions, feelings and belief of fans ? would you in his position ? which particular one of the thousands of different opinions and feelings should he listen to ?

4. Yes, Darren Huckerby had done great things for Norwich in the past, but was he not also part of the failing team over the seasons prior to Roeder arriving ? Did you feel there was a need for a total revamp of the squad ?

5.  Do you trust our current board of directors to appoint a suitable alternative ?

6. Who do you think they should appoint ? Who would you ''relate to'' ? Who do you know would have the best interest of Norwich City and the community at heart ?

7. Where will the money come from to invest in permanent signings ? (remember you have just spent all your money paying off Roeder and his coaching staff, and paid compensation for this fantastic new manager and coaching staff who you can ''relate to'' - because if you expect him to work the miracles you hope for they are surely in employment someone else - and why would they come here ?)

8. Haven''t our current majority shareholders and board of directors spent all our income over the past 5 years on making this a ''community'' club - do you think this money was wisely spent instead of investing in the team therefore making enjoyable and successful football more of a reality than an dream ?

9. Is it Glen Roeder alone in 12 months that has ''destructed'' our football club, or are others more culpable for the situation we find ourselves ? Do you feel by removing Glen Roeder alone everything will magically improve ?

Don''t get me wrong, I''m as jarred of as anyone about the current situation we find ourselves in but I''m sorry I can''t agree that removing Roeder will achieve anything at this point in time.

I wait in anticipation for your answers

[/quote]

1.   There are at least 10 nails to go, we are not in League One just yet, and we have not filed for administration just yet. Peter Grant hammered a good few in, but admitted it and walked. The board have hammered a good few in, but there is no buyer for the club. I am just hoping that there is a manager who could take a few out with the opposite side of the hammer, through good man management and getting the best out of the players we already have.2. Clark and Stephenson may not necessarily go, Lee Clark could be given a few games to see if he is up to the job. Remember, thats how we recruited Worthy. Yes Roeder has no money, but he has spent money, and not particularly wisely. Remember that Sibierski, Henville, Koromo, the injured Stefanovic, Lappin who he does not play ALL take money out of the clubs coffers, irrespective of whether there was a loan arrangement fee or not (which we do not know).  The 250k reported to have been spent on Stefanovic could have been spent on an up and coming young player with potential for growth in Value. Remember that we only paid 300k for Drury, 250k for Damien Frances, 50k for Paul McVeigh, 200k on Malky Mackay.  Reading spent 60k on Kevin Doyle, less than 100k on Stephen Hunt, about 80k on their goalkeeper. Cardiff spent less than 100k on Ross McCormack. All of those players would now go for £1m+.3. I do not mean with team selection or signings.... we are not Ebbsfleet Town, I mean in generall. E.g. The Huckerby situation.  The Lappin situation. And his general rudeness at the AGM, where he was reluctant to listen to a single word the shareholders had to say.4.I did not mention the current abilities of Darren Huckerby, I was referring to his treatment. That should have been obvious to you. Although, yes I would love to see Darren Huckerby in that team right now, his replacement has not done half as much as an unfit Huckerby yet alone a fit one.5. No I do not trust the current board of directors to appoint a suitable alternative, however they have got it right before and could do again. Nigel Worthington and Mike Walker have the only ones they have got right. So there is probably a 40% chance they could make the right decision. At 21st in the table, that risk appears worthwhile to me.6. I would appoint somebody that has a alliegence to th club, who is popular with the fans. So Ian Crook, Mark Bowen would be my personal choices. Obviously we missed the board on Steve Bruce and Martin O''Neill years ago.  Aidy Boothroyd is another that never wanted to leave the club, I also believe that with hindsight many people can  now appreciate how good Nigel Worthington actually was for his tenure as manager.  Another Nigel Worthington, who can build a team that we can relate and identify with, so that we can do simple things..... such as chant the name of permanent players who may show a little bit of promise. Attendances have already started to fall, and this is because of the lack of identity and respect that many of the fans have with the current set up.7. Have you read the letter? I am asking for Roeder to step down as manager of Norwich City Football Club without compensation. With the point being that the club can appoint a new manager using the remainder of his wages. Thus there would be no additional expenditure on the appointment of the manager.  Roeder is not expected to perform miracles, he was expected to maintain the ok performances that he team showed in the second half of last season. By showing little faith in that team (Cureton, Shackell, Huckerby, Brown etc all gone) and replacing them with expensive premiership loan signings he has compromise the ability of the team to compete. Which goes to show that the team we had in the second half of last season was better then the one that he has created, with the clubs money, in the second half of the season.  The inability for the club to finance a new manager would show the board up as irresponsible, having given him a 2 and a half year contract and knowing that there was this risk. However, we do not know for certain that a 500k - £1m could not be found for the transfer kitty.  Remember that Roeder has not ruled out signing Lita on a permanent deal in January, that would cost 500k-£1m. 8. No the board of directors have spent all the money on off the field activities, such as restaurants and conservatories, as well financing the existing debt. By a community club I just mean one that unites the fans again, which would entail on the pitch investment. And not just financial investment, investment of time and effort as well. The fans had a sense of community when we had a squad that we coud excited by and could relate to, such as the Worthington reign.9. You have already asked this question (question 1), no I do not think that Roeder is to blame for the downfall of the club. I do however see that we are one place above the league finish that would create a genuine catasphrophe with only half a season to go. Thus, I would welcome the removal of Roeder to give another manager the opportunity to move us up the table to say........16th. A final position that prevent the club going into administration, which could in turn see Carrow Road and Colney sold to pay creditors.

There you go..... hope you didnt hold your breathe. I cant gaurentee that I will answer another long list of questions though, Im very busy so maybe keep it a little shorter! Ta.

[quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="steve o"]I just don''t buy into the "we don''t have enough money" thing, they will find the money to get rid of him, Delia has the money, if she wants to get rid of the club she''ll have a better chance of selling it in the championship than she will if it''s a league 1 club, he will be removed, the club will not sell the season tickets under this clown [/quote]

Find the money from where?  We don''t even have enough to pay Lita''s wages for gods sake lol.

[/quote]DELIA has the money to pay him off, lol all you like but he needs to be removed and she has the funds to do it![/quote]

I will LOL as much as I like thanks everso [:)]

And you know for a fact that the board has the money to pay off GR and his staff?  I would like to see a link please where it states she and the board has the money.

If they don''t have enough to pay Lita''s wages how will they have enough to pay off GR and his staff?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="steve o"]I just don''t buy into the "we don''t have enough money" thing, they will find the money to get rid of him, Delia has the money, if she wants to get rid of the club she''ll have a better chance of selling it in the championship than she will if it''s a league 1 club, he will be removed, the club will not sell the season tickets under this clown [/quote]

Find the money from where?  We don''t even have enough to pay Lita''s wages for gods sake lol.

[/quote]DELIA has the money to pay him off, lol all you like but he needs to be removed and she has the funds to do it![/quote]

And you know for a fact that the board has the money to pay off GR and his staff?  I would like to see a link please where it states she and the board has the money.

If they don''t have enough to pay Lita''s wages how will they have enough to pay off GR and his staff?

[/quote]whats all this "i''d like to see a link" nonsense, i said Delia has the money to pay him off, she''s a wealthy woman!

I hope you are right with the number of nails to go Super - personally I think we are down to the last 2 or 3.

Delia will fight tooth and nail not to go into adminstration as by doing that she can wave good bye to at least 95% of the money she has in share value - some thing she can''t afford to do. But whether she will find a buyer on her terms is another thing.

Have to point out a couple of things though.

You have to admit that it is unlikely Clark and Stephenson would stay - Roeder brought them here and Clark has already had offers from other clubs. So with them all going the club management/coaching team would be in turmoil again.

You say you would like someone like Bowen or Crook. I have to say I was keen for Bowen to come last time. Thing is as I stated they are both employed and would require a compensation payment - something we can''t afford. Also though they have ties to Norwich, it is still a major risk, neither have had management experience, and yes sometimes people can step up, however if you look at history the vast majority fail. Also I say again why would they want to come here with no money to spend ? - they would be on a hiding to nothing (unless we paid them a ridicious amount - again unlikely). If they wanted to take the step up to management then surely they would want to go somewhere with some chance of suceeding.

You say the board got it right with Worthington and Walker. I think you have forgotten that Walkers successful spell here was when Chase was here. He left went to Everton and then came back under Smith & Jones and failed. Managers coming back rarely work out. On to Worthington, no one can doubt he bought us a play off and promotion - however the board also kept him at least 18 months too long. Also I think you are looking at his transfer activity with slightly ''Worthy'' tinted glasses there - for every Malky there was a Briggs, Higginbottom, Hughes, and Thorne. Far more duff buys than good i''m afraid and they were ultimately his undoing. So in terms of past managerial appointments our board have been found wanting on too many occasions and I for one wouldn''t trust them in appointing anyone or worth next time.

I think we are broadly agreeing on the need to shake up the team last season - however you feel Roeder may have gone too far, personally I don''t. Shackell was a forced sale following the exit of the Turners, and Cureton should never have been here in the first place. I do agree the number of loans is not benefical, but he has not had the necessary funds to purchase the amount of permanents he would like. However in terms of the permanent signings he has made so far; Bell, Hoolahan, Patterson, and Clingan these are all definately good additions to the squad.

As said like you i''m far from happy with the state of affairs at NCFC at the moment - but in my opinion changing the manager at this point time would do us more damage than good. New investment/board then yes I would be the first to agree with you - but at the moment no.

Your letter is reasonable, and well argued, but it misses the point.Roeder is a problem, but he will not fall until the board falls.  He''s a crap manager, but I think there are maybe ten managers at most in Europe who could do better than 12th with the current squad, funds and club setup.  We cannot afford any of those managers.Changing Roeder would mean we would have to bring in someone we can afford... after Roeder''s payoff... meaning another untried gamble, e.g. another Peter Grant-style fiasco.  This could seal our fate as a League One team and hasten the Administration problems you talk about.  We simply have nowhere to turn.  So good luck with your letter.  I hope this doesn''t sound patronising - it is not supposed to - but I admire your passion for the club which shines through in the way you have written it.  Unfortunately, it will be of no use.

[quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]whats all this "i''d like to see a link" nonsense, i said Delia has the money to pay him off, she''s a wealthy woman![/quote]

You state it like you know backed up with fact, do you have access to her bank accounts?

I was asking for proof that they have the money to pay off GR, don''t be so defensive, if you can''t provide proof then it''s your opinion and not fact.

If they had the money they would be paying Lita''s wages, but they aren''t, the majority of his wages are being paid by a fan, that is FACT.

Delia is wealthy in comparison to us, but she has stated that beyond her retirement she will have to carry on working to support the club, that doesn''t smack to me of someone with pots of money, does it you?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]whats all this "i''d like to see a link" nonsense, i said Delia has the money to pay him off, she''s a wealthy woman![/quote]

You state it like you know backed up with fact, do you have access to her bank accounts?

I was asking for proof that they have the money to pay off GR, don''t be so defensive, if you can''t provide proof then it''s your opinion and not fact.

If they had the money they would be paying Lita''s wages, but they aren''t, the majority of his wages are being paid by a fan, that is FACT.

Delia is wealthy in comparison to us, but she has stated that beyond her retirement she will have to carry on working to support the club, that doesn''t smack to me of someone with pots of money, does it you?

[/quote]i''ll be defensive if you pick holes, no i don''t know for a fact that she has the money but i''d bet my house on it that she has

[quote user="crafty canary"]

Dear SuperWesIrishWizard,

Thank you for your letter-borne rant against my immaculate tenure as manager of NCFC. I must have missed your tenure as England manager or indeed any Football league or Premier league club. 

A football club is run for the benefits of it owners and their acolytes and Delia and Michael have shown the great wisdom to appoint me as manager of this great football club. I humbly acknowledge that I am merely the latest in a long line of great managerial appointments made by these exemplary owners. Grant, Worthington, Hamilton, Rioch, Walker - the names just roll of the tongue. I am in awe at their ability to constantly find such doyens of the English game to look after the club''s playing interests.   

I concede that recent results are not want any of us would wish yet it must me apparant to even the most football-ingnorant person (such as the 24000 that couldn''t possibly do my job yet feel they have the right to a point of view on all things NCFC) that none of this is my fault. My coaches and I train our players to the highest standards of cutting-edge tactical systems (we have all the badges you know) but the w**kers just can''t put it into effect. You just can''t get the staff these days. When they do occasionally get it right we are undermined by those in the crowd that do not offer unstinting adulation of the Three -In-One that is Delia, Michael and myself. I often feel that most of you are unworthy of our greatness.

Once again thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to me. Your opinions are valued and we encourage supporters'' feedback at every opportunity. It keeps our paper recycling bins full here at Carrow Road and gives us all a nice warm glow to know that we are doing our bit for the environment.

Yours in football,

Glen.

[/quote]

LOL!

[quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]i''ll be defensive if you pick holes, no i don''t know for a fact that she has the money but i''d bet my house on it that she has[/quote]

I wasn''t picking holes, I was asking question which you can''t answer because you don''t have access to Delia''s or the boards bank accounts.  Do you think if they were that flush with the cash that the club would be in such a mess as it is now?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]i''ll be defensive if you pick holes, no i don''t know for a fact that she has the money but i''d bet my house on it that she has[/quote]

I wasn''t picking holes, I was asking question which you can''t answer because you don''t have access to Delia''s or the boards bank accounts.  Do you think if they were that flush with the cash that the club would be in such a mess as it is now?

[/quote]financially no, but they''d of still appointed so league wise yes, can we agree to disagree now please

Ok I got a response:
Thanks for

your email Ryan.  I respect your views but do not share them.  I

believe that we stand the best chance of moving forwards by being united behind

the manager and the team

If you''d like

to discuss further, please do give me a call on 01603 xxx xxx

OTBCNeil
I have nothing else to say..... im just one fan afterall!

Well done for your letter Wes, but a predictable response. You really could have written that letter at any time during the past four or five years and merely changed the name of the manager.

Ultimately he''s not the problem, it''s the likes of Doncaster who are presiding over the mess the club is in and think they only have to come up with glib little replies like that to keep the fans happy.

As for discussing things further, go ahead and try it, it''ll be you doing all the listening - which is pretty rich considering we are supposed to be a "listening" club.

Mr Doncaster should realise by now that the board need to have some dynamic policies to rescue us from the ongoing fall and fall this club is in. Merely asking the fans to unite.

Much more of this and he will find the fans united, but not in the way he perhaps would wish.

Any news on whether your letter has featured in the local press?

[quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="steve o"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]financially no, but they''d of still appointed so league wise yes, can we agree to disagree now please[/quote]

Ok furry muff [:D]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Well done for your letter Wes, but a predictable response. You really could have written that letter at any time during the past four or five years and merely changed the name of the manager.

Ultimately he''s not the problem, it''s the likes of Doncaster who are presiding over the mess the club is in and think they only have to come up with glib little replies like that to keep the fans happy.

As for discussing things further, go ahead and try it, it''ll be you doing all the listening - which is pretty rich considering we are supposed to be a "listening" club.

Mr Doncaster should realise by now that the board need to have some dynamic policies to rescue us from the ongoing fall and fall this club is in. Merely asking the fans to unite.

Much more of this and he will find the fans united, but not in the way he perhaps would wish.

Any news on whether your letter has featured in the local press?[/quote]Im not going to give him a call, it would be a pointless exercise, however if you wish to I would be happy to PM you the phone number. I dont want to put it on display on a public forum though...

I know it Wes, and have had the ultimate pleasure of speaking to the CE on a few occasions. Have you any news of your letter in the local press, it''s fine on here, don''t get me wrong, but IMO it should receive wider coverage in the letters page or perhaps in the printed version of the Pink Un.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]I know it Wes, and have had the ultimate pleasure of speaking to the CE on a few occasions. Have you any news of your letter in the local press, it''s fine on here, don''t get me wrong, but IMO it should receive wider coverage in the letters page or perhaps in the printed version of the Pink Un.[/quote]No I havent, I emailed them over to EDP, Evening News and Pinkun.   Apparently they dont tell you if they have been printed, and since I am in Sheffield I have no way of knowing whether or not they do.If anybody does see it then let me know!