Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

Does anybody want Stefan Iverson?

He was rubbish for Spurs and twice as rubbish for Wolves in the Championship, hes now well into his thirties.If thats the standard of player we are looking at then we may as well offer to swap places with Luton.

He''s scored a hat full this season in a league that''s probably lower Championship/higher League 1 standard. I''d love to have him here, i''m in no doubt that he would do a good job for us. If Lita''s loan does get extended then he won''t come here anyway. We can''t afford both their wages.

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]He was rubbish for Spurs and twice as rubbish for Wolves in the Championship, hes now well into his thirties.

If thats the standard of player we are looking at then we may as well offer to swap places with Luton.
[/quote]

1. He scored 36 goals in 112 premiership starts for Spurs (31 sub appearances), is that really rubbish?

2. Wolves were in the premiership in the 2003/04 season, he was injured most of the season, he got 4 goals in 11 starts (5 sub appearances)

He has 21 goals in 75 games for Norway, is that rubbish?

[quote user="Lord Flasheart"]I don''t think he was ''rubbish'' for either of those sides. He''s scoring for fun at the moment and I think he''d prove to be quite handy for us.[/quote]He was rubbish for Wolves a complete flop, and he wasnt great for Spurs either.

If the measure of a striker is how many goals they score then by the same token Emile Heskey is a bag of pants. Such however do provide others with good oppurtunities to score. That, sir, would be quite handy at Norwich, don''t you think?

[quote user="Lord Flasheart"]If the measure of a striker is how many goals they score then by the same token Emile Heskey is a bag of pants. Such however do provide others with good oppurtunities to score. That, sir, would be quite handy at Norwich, don''t you think?
[/quote]

YUP! GOOD CALL![Y]

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]He was rubbish for Spurs and twice as rubbish for Wolves in the Championship, hes now well into his thirties.If thats the standard of player we are looking at then we may as well offer to swap places with Luton.[/quote]

1. He scored 36 goals in 112 premiership starts for Spurs (31 sub appearances), is that really rubbish?

2. Wolves were in the premiership in the 2003/04 season, he was injured most of the season, he got 4 goals in 11 starts (5 sub appearances)

[/quote]1. It was 5 years ago that years ago that he left Spurs in the Premiership. It equates to a similar scoring record as Shola Ameobi, who nobody on here seems to rate at all. His 112 premiership starts were spread over 7 years. So he started an average of 16 games a year.  2. Exactly, he was injured most of the season (like most seasons). 4 goals in 16 games is no better than Leon McKenzies strike rate per appearance when we were in the premiership. This was also 4 years ago.3. Yes 21 international goals is good, but Ali Daei holds the world record for international goals, does that make him better than Pele? No.  The statistics I found claim that he has actually scored 19 in 73 games with the last game being 11th October, so unless he has scored 2 since then.4. David Healy has scored 35 in 69 for Northern Ireland, does this make Iverson half as good as David Healy? because David Healy only scored 2 goals in 13 games for us and only scored 4 last year in the Prem for Fulham.5. He is 32, last time we signed a 32 year old striker it turned into a mistake. 6. He is doing well at the minute, for a team in a sh*t league.7. He is 6ft and weighs less than Darren Huckerby, isnt it about time we signed a target man?

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="ncfc_chris"]

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]He was rubbish for Spurs and twice as rubbish for Wolves in the Championship, hes now well into his thirties.

If thats the standard of player we are looking at then we may as well offer to swap places with Luton.
[/quote]

[/quote]

1. It was 5 years ago that years ago that he left Spurs in the Premiership. It equates to a similar scoring record as Shola Ameobi, who nobody on here seems to rate at all. His 112 premiership starts were spread over 7 years. So he started an average of 16 games a year. 
2. Exactly, he was injured most of the season (like most seasons). 4 goals in 16 games is no better than Leon McKenzies strike rate per appearance when we were in the premiership. This was also 4 years ago.
3. Yes 21 international goals is good, but Ali Daei holds the world record for international goals, does that make him better than Pele? No.  The statistics I found claim that he has actually scored 19 in 73 games with the last game being 11th October, so unless he has scored 2 since then.
4. David Healy has scored 35 in 69 for Northern Ireland, does this make Iverson half as good as David Healy? because David Healy only scored 2 goals in 13 games for us and only scored 4 last year in the Prem for Fulham.
5. He is 32, last time we signed a 32 year old striker it turned into a mistake.
6. He is doing well at the minute, for a team in a sh*t league.
7. He is 6ft and weighs less than Darren Huckerby, isnt it about time we signed a target man?

[/quote]

1. Competing for a place against Teddy Sheringham, Les Ferdinand and Jurgen Klinsmann

2. he''s had injury problems in the past but so have a lot of players who have come back better and stronger

3. Steffen Iversens goals have come in europe, there are awful teams like Andorra and San Marino but the majority of games are tough and to score at nearly a goal every 3 games is a fine achievement over 75games considering he has had the likes of Carew, Solskjaer, Flo and others competing for a place in the side

120 May 1999Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Jamaica6-0WinFriendly
230 May 1999Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Georgia1-0WinEuro 2000 Qualifier
35 June 1999Qemal Stafa, Tirana Albania2-1WinEuro 2000 Qualifier
48 September 1999Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Slovenia4-0WinEuro 2000 Qualifier
527 May 2000Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Slovakia2-0WinFriendly
613 June 2000Feijenoord Stadion, Rotterdam Spain1-0WinUEFA Euro 2000
712 October 2002Lia Manoliu Stadium, Bucharest Romania1-0WinEuro 2004 Qualifier
815 November 2003Estadio Mestalla, Valencia Spain1-2DefeatEuro 2004 Qualifier
918 February 2004Windsor Park, Belfast Northern Ireland4-1WinFriendly
109 October 2004Hampden Park, Glasgow Scotland1-0WinWorld Cup 2006 Qual.
1116 November 2004Craven Cottage, London Australia2-2DrawFriendly
128 June 2005RÃ¥sunda Stadium, Solna Sweden3-2WinFriendly
136 September 2006Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Moldova2-0WinEuro 2008 Qualifier
142 June 2007Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Malta4-0WinEuro 2008 Qualifier
156 June 2007Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Hungary4-0WinEuro 2008 Qualifier
168 September 2007Zimbru Stadium, ChiÅŸinău Moldova1-0WinEuro 2008 Qualifier
1721 November 2007Ta'' Qali Stadium, Ta'' Qali Malta4-1WinEuro 2008 Qualifier
206 September]] 2008Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo Iceland2-2DrawWorld Cup 2010 Qual

5. wasn''t Dion Dublin 36?

6. it probaly isn''t the greatest of leagues but how many domestic Norwegian matches have you seen?

7. 6ft 1 and 11.09 is hardly scrawny, if you''ve seen many of Iversens goals you''ll realise he is superb in the air and beats the majority of centre backs, he is also intelligent and has good feet. Is that not what a target man is supposed to be like?

3. Yes 21 international goals is good, but Ali Daei holds the world record for international goals, does that make him better than Pele? No.  The statistics I found claim that he has actually scored 19 in 73 games with the last game being 11th October, so unless he has scored 2 since then.

It''s the quality of opposition that counts, Ali Daei has scored the vast majority of his goals against the worst footballing nations in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_daei

Iversen''s record;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steffen_Iversen#International_goals

[quote user="ncfc_chris"][quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="ncfc_chris"]

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]He was rubbish for Spurs and twice as rubbish for Wolves in the Championship, hes now well into his thirties.If thats the standard of player we are looking at then we may as well offer to swap places with Luton.[/quote]

[/quote]1. It was 5 years ago that years ago that he left Spurs in the Premiership. It equates to a similar scoring record as Shola Ameobi, who nobody on here seems to rate at all. His 112 premiership starts were spread over 7 years. So he started an average of 16 games a year.  2. Exactly, he was injured most of the season (like most seasons). 4 goals in 16 games is no better than Leon McKenzies strike rate per appearance when we were in the premiership. This was also 4 years ago.3. Yes 21 international goals is good, but Ali Daei holds the world record for international goals, does that make him better than Pele? No.  The statistics I found claim that he has actually scored 19 in 73 games with the last game being 11th October, so unless he has scored 2 since then.4. David Healy has scored 35 in 69 for Northern Ireland, does this make Iverson half as good as David Healy? because David Healy only scored 2 goals in 13 games for us and only scored 4 last year in the Prem for Fulham.5. He is 32, last time we signed a 32 year old striker it turned into a mistake. 6. He is doing well at the minute, for a team in a sh*t league.7. He is 6ft and weighs less than Darren Huckerby, isnt it about time we signed a target man?

[/quote]

1. Competing for a place against Teddy Sheringham, Les Ferdinand and Jurgen Klinsmann

2. he''s had injury problems in the past but so have a lot of players who have come back better and stronger

3. Steffen Iversens goals have come in europe, there are awful teams like Andorra and San Marino but the majority of games are tough and to score at nearly a goal every 3 games is a fine achievement over 75games considering he has had the likes of Carew, Solskjaer, Flo and others competing for a place in the side

1 20 May 1999 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Jamaica 6-0 Win Friendly
2 30 May 1999 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Georgia 1-0 Win Euro 2000 Qualifier
3 5 June 1999 Qemal Stafa, Tirana  Albania 2-1 Win Euro 2000 Qualifier
4 8 September 1999 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Slovenia 4-0 Win Euro 2000 Qualifier
5 27 May 2000 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Slovakia 2-0 Win Friendly
6 13 June 2000 Feijenoord Stadion, Rotterdam  Spain 1-0 Win UEFA Euro 2000
7 12 October 2002 Lia Manoliu Stadium, Bucharest  Romania 1-0 Win Euro 2004 Qualifier
8 15 November 2003 Estadio Mestalla, Valencia  Spain 1-2 Defeat Euro 2004 Qualifier
9 18 February 2004 Windsor Park, Belfast  Northern Ireland 4-1 Win Friendly
10 9 October 2004 Hampden Park, Glasgow  Scotland 1-0 Win World Cup 2006 Qual.
11 16 November 2004 Craven Cottage, London  Australia 2-2 Draw Friendly
12 8 June 2005 Råsunda Stadium, Solna  Sweden 3-2 Win Friendly
13 6 September 2006 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Moldova 2-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
14 2 June 2007 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Malta 4-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
15 6 June 2007 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Hungary 4-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
16 8 September 2007 Zimbru Stadium, Chişinău  Moldova 1-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
17 21 November 2007 Ta'' Qali Stadium, Ta'' Qali  Malta 4-1 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
20 6 September]] 2008 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Iceland 2-2 Draw World Cup 2010 Qual

6. it probaly isn''t the greatest of leagues but how many domestic Norwegian matches have you seen?

7. 6ft 1 and 11.09 is hardly scrawny, if you''ve seen many of Iversens goals you''ll realise he is superb in the air and beats the majority of centre backs, he is also intelligent and has good feet. Is that not what a target man is supposed to be like?

[/quote]I suppose this argument could go on forever and if we sign him one of us will be right and one will be wrong, and despite my reservations I genuinely do hope that you are right and I have to admit that I do feel a little better about signing Stefan Iverson. Despite that, I do still take the word of my uncle who was a Wolves season ticket holder that season who ensures me that his 4 goals were very flattering and that he was well out of his depth.So lets end it there, although I have seen lots of Norweigen footy courtesy of a year spent in Sweden (they were on the telly 3 times a week) and I can assure you that the league is shocking, such that Erik Fuglestad was by far the best full back in the league to give you an idea (he never got a cap) . I am 5ft 9 and I weigh 11 stone, thats no weight at all (I dont even have a beer belly), so I cant see him being a strong ''target man'' being good in the air is a plus, but being able to hold the ball up for 10 seconds against a couple of defenders is not part of Iverson''s game, that is what we need. We need Iwan Roberts, we are getting in Iverson a player more like Matthias Svensson..... can win a header and score with his head but a target man he was not (IMO).....Yes Dion was 36, and a great signing, but Dion is a one off. But anyway I still have grave doubts, but like i said i hope you are right. If Iverson comes to Norwich and does as well as Matthias Svensson or Dion Dublin then I will have no problem admitting I am wrong.Anyway, I have 5 minutes to leave my flat and get to Brammall Lane to watch Sheffield United.....Bye.

Yes - strike rates may not always be the best indicator of a striker''s ability. We now seem to be developing a midfield which can deliver chances, and I fancy him to take them. He is very good in the air, and I think that he could produce plenty of chances for whoever plays with him up front.

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="ncfc_chris"][quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="ncfc_chris"]

[/quote]

1 20 May 1999 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Jamaica 6-0 Win Friendly
2 30 May 1999 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Georgia 1-0 Win Euro 2000 Qualifier
3 5 June 1999 Qemal Stafa, Tirana  Albania 2-1 Win Euro 2000 Qualifier
4 8 September 1999 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Slovenia 4-0 Win Euro 2000 Qualifier
5 27 May 2000 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Slovakia 2-0 Win Friendly
6 13 June 2000 Feijenoord Stadion, Rotterdam  Spain 1-0 Win UEFA Euro 2000
7 12 October 2002 Lia Manoliu Stadium, Bucharest  Romania 1-0 Win Euro 2004 Qualifier
8 15 November 2003 Estadio Mestalla, Valencia  Spain 1-2 Defeat Euro 2004 Qualifier
9 18 February 2004 Windsor Park, Belfast  Northern Ireland 4-1 Win Friendly
10 9 October 2004 Hampden Park, Glasgow  Scotland 1-0 Win World Cup 2006 Qual.
11 16 November 2004 Craven Cottage, London  Australia 2-2 Draw Friendly
12 8 June 2005 Råsunda Stadium, Solna  Sweden 3-2 Win Friendly
13 6 September 2006 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Moldova 2-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
14 2 June 2007 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Malta 4-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
15 6 June 2007 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Hungary 4-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
16 8 September 2007 Zimbru Stadium, Chişinău  Moldova 1-0 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
17 21 November 2007 Ta'' Qali Stadium, Ta'' Qali  Malta 4-1 Win Euro 2008 Qualifier
20 6 September]] 2008 Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo  Iceland 2-2 Draw World Cup 2010 Qual

[/quote]I suppose this argument could go on forever and if we sign him one of us will be right and one will be wrong, and despite my reservations I genuinely do hope that you are right and I have to admit that I do feel a little better about signing Stefan Iverson. Despite that, I do still take the word of my uncle who was a Wolves season ticket holder that season who ensures me that his 4 goals were very flattering and that he was well out of his depth.So lets end it there, although I have seen lots of Norweigen footy courtesy of a year spent in Sweden (they were on the telly 3 times a week) and I can assure you that the league is shocking, such that Erik Fuglestad was by far the best full back in the league to give you an idea (he never got a cap) . I am 5ft 9 and I weigh 11 stone, thats no weight at all (I dont even have a beer belly), so I cant see him being a strong ''target man'' being good in the air is a plus, but being able to hold the ball up for 10 seconds against a couple of defenders is not part of Iverson''s game, that is what we need. We need Iwan Roberts, we are getting in Iverson a player more like Matthias Svensson..... can win a header and score with his head but a target man he was not (IMO).....Yes Dion was 36, and a great signing, but Dion is a one off. But anyway I still have grave doubts, but like i said i hope you are right. If Iverson comes to Norwich and does as well as Matthias Svensson or Dion Dublin then I will have no problem admitting I am wrong.Anyway, I have 5 minutes to leave my flat and get to Brammall Lane to watch Sheffield United.....Bye.

[/quote]When Fuglestad played at left back I hasten to add...... oddly, he became a centre midfielder after leaving Norwich, as was actually pretty good there!

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]    .......I am 5ft 9 and I weigh 11 stone, thats no weight at all (I dont even have a beer belly), so I cant see him being a strong ''target man'' being good in the air is a plus, but being able to hold the ball up for 10 seconds against a couple of defenders is not part of Iverson''s game ......[/quote]I''m 5'' 8" & weighed 111/2 stone for most of my adult life. I certainly didn''t have a beer belly & was one of the fittest at my footy club. Once, however, I got REALLY fit & my weight dropped to 10 stone. I would expect professional footballers to be at least as fit as I was. I''ve met Steff & he is a powerful guy. I''d love to see you call him scrawny, face to face. It would be quite amusing.

I never said that he was a ''scrawny guy'' and quite why I would ever call somebody a scrawny guy i do not know?All i am saying is that your stereotypical ''target man'' is a lot bigger than 11stone..... iwan was just under 13 when he was skinny! ashton who is 6 foot is just over 12.... I would consider Ashton to be a small target man.A stone is a long way in football. Leon McKenzie is 10 stone, Iverson is 11 stone and Ashton is 12There is a lot a stone can do to a players ability to hold up a ball.All i am saying is that Iverson is not an out and out target man, which is what we need, i dont doubt that he can head a ball, but does he HOLD UP a ball?Im asking the question really, can Iverson hold up a ball?You tell me, if you can all tell me that Iverson can hold up the ball like Iwan Roberts then I will shut up.

[quote user="Salopian"]Yes - strike rates may not always be the best indicator of a striker''s ability. We now seem to be developing a midfield which can deliver chances, and I fancy him to take them. He is very good in the air, and I think that he could produce plenty of chances for whoever plays with him up front.
[/quote]

Funny how people weren''t using the "a striker can be good without scoring" argument when we had Chris Brown!

Hmm. Interesting. A quick Google has his height varying from under 6'' to 6''2" & his weight between 70 & 80kg.I''d go with the Rosenborg one, which has him at 6''1" & 79kg (12st. 6lbs).As I said, he looked pretty big to me.