Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Old Blogger

Why do we make hard work of transfers?

Interesting thought - why do we find it so much easier to sell players than to buy them? Every transfer out of the club seems to go like clockwork. I''ll bet they even have a machine to take credit cards over the phone at Colney. Yet whenever we want to bring someone in it takes forever, even in the increasingly unlikely event that it happens at all. Hoolihan - dragged on weeks. Bell - went on forever even when he had a broken ankle. Taylor - never did happen. OK the two guys from Fulham seemed easier but maybe no one else was in for them. Correct me if I''m wrong but wasn''t Big Bryan supposed to be Transfer Liason Manager or something similar - in place to make things happen.

Now we are in the crazy situation where Jason Shackell walks away as soon as the credit card machine verifies the transaction, yet we spend months trying to get a striker who is physically suited to anything above Under-13 football? Maybe we have people in the club responsible for transfers who are making hard work of what other clubs find a relatively straightforward matter.

[quote user="Grumpy Old Blogger"]

Interesting thought - why do we find it so much easier to sell players than to buy them? Every transfer out of the club seems to go like clockwork. I''ll bet they even have a machine to take credit cards over the phone at Colney. Yet whenever we want to bring someone in it takes forever, even in the increasingly unlikely event that it happens at all. Hoolihan - dragged on weeks. Bell - went on forever even when he had a broken ankle. Taylor - never did happen. OK the two guys from Fulham seemed easier but maybe no one else was in for them. Correct me if I''m wrong but wasn''t Big Bryan supposed to be Transfer Liason Manager or something similar - in place to make things happen.

Now we are in the crazy situation where Jason Shackell walks away as soon as the credit card machine verifies the transaction, yet we spend months trying to get a striker who is physically suited to anything above Under-13 football? Maybe we have people in the club responsible for transfers who are making hard work of what other clubs find a relatively straightforward matter.

[/quote]NCFC are willing to let shacks go....rosenberg are not willing to let iverson go...simple as that

[quote user="Grumpy Old Blogger"]

[/quote]

Maybe only one club, in Shackell''s case Wolves, are the only ones in for our players. The Iversen fiasco is down to Rosenborg who have by all accounts gone back on a gentleman''s agreement...

If you think that we are the only ones, you are mistaken - transfer sagas happen to all sides but we do seem to have our fair share.  Look down the road at the binners if you want some proof: Volz took several weeks to sign, they have been after a striker all summer and have offered on a Greek bloke and some guy who plays in Cologne (both seemed to go nowhere), and had been interested in Ameobi for ages before he almost signed - they still haven''t got anyone in. 

I think the point is that we often concentrate on our own shenanigans, forgetting what is going in elsewhere, but I am sure if you were a Wolves fan you could count Shackell as another - if you boil it down, they have been after a c/b for the entire close season and first offered on him several months ago, so surely you could class that as a long haul for them?

Mtstery innit? If a player wants to leave Norwich then we are told that today''s game is all about player power and we can''t stand in his way. On the other if a player wants to come here then unfortunately we are told that in today''s game the selling clubs have all the power. We always seem to be negotiating from a point of weakness. You''d almost believe it was something to do with the negotiator.

[quote user="Reg Presley"]Mtstery innit? If a player wants to leave Norwich then we are told that today''s game is all about player power and we can''t stand in his way. On the other if a player wants to come here then unfortunately we are told that in today''s game the selling clubs have all the power. We always seem to be negotiating from a point of weakness. You''d almost believe it was something to do with the negotiator.[/quote]Are you the UFO-spotting guy from the Troggs?

[quote user="thecanaryfan"]

Because the board are a bunch of muppets.

[/quote]I''ll go along with that.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST