Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

national anthems

Jerusalem represents all that was wrong with English Empire building and I would hate to have it as our National Anthem. It''s basically a song about how Jerusalem is built in "dark satanic" lands and the singer won''t rest from killing muslims until Jerusalem is rebuilt in England. Not a very 21st Century message is it?At least songs like Land of Hope and glory have a more positive message

The only good part of our national anthem is the 6th and last verse

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

And we wonder why the Jocks dont like us

Jerusalem for me but it will never happen

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Watching the France v Italy match last night just confirmed to me how dreary ours is. Surely a national anthem should be uplifting and elicit pride in ones country rather than bowing and scraping in front of an unelected pensioner.

Now my mind may be playing tricks on me here but I''m sure that when I was a kid during the Commenwealth Games if England won gold at any event they always used to play Land of Hope and Glory on the podium. I''m racalling this from childhood so I''m thinking it''s probably from the 80''s. Any one else remember or have I just made it up [:$]

I''d be very happy to see that replace GSTQ.

Failing that i feel that F.E.A.R by Ian Brown is quite apt [;)]

[quote user="Largey"]

I always thought the Italy national anthem was the best.

In the days of Schumacher dominance in F1, that and the German anthem would be played out, the two best.

Back to this case....Rule Britainnia would be best imo.

[/quote]T''other night when the German anthem was played I was expecting it to be followed by the Italian. I used to hate that sodding German winning all the time but I kind of miss him now.

[quote user="Jonny 5"]Jerusalem represents all that was wrong with English Empire building and I would hate to have it as our National Anthem. It''s basically a song about how Jerusalem is built in "dark satanic" lands and the singer won''t rest from killing muslims until Jerusalem is rebuilt in England. Not a very 21st Century message is it?

At least songs like Land of Hope and glory have a more positive message
[/quote]

Jonny have a look at buddhaboy''s post with the words of Jerusalem.  It''s "dark satanic mills" not "lands" and it refers to the industrial revolution not the crusades.  Nothing whatever to do with empire building.

[quote user="ched seven"]

watching germany v austria tonight made me realise what a crap national anthem england have got. the german one deutchsland uber alles(or something like that) is fantastic compared to ours, so passion stirring the german fans at the ground were struggling to contain the urge to do nazi salutes and hark back to the glory days, much better than our dreary few lines about the queen, also the french anthem is a damn fine tune and gets the fans going.ours is just rubbish we need to change it, i`m fairly sure we share the tune with leitchenstein as well no wonder we`re so crap and can`t qualify.

[/quote]

Liechtensteins national anthem is also "god save the queen" same tune... different words though

jas :)

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="buddhaboy"]my favourite is jerusalem i admit.

[/quote]

Whilst I don''t mind Jerusalem it does have the effect of making one envisage beer swilling rugby fans, it''s so sickeningly middle class.
[/quote]

Yet, paradoxically, the lyrics are very much anti middle class - at least in the sense of the middle class industrialists of the nineteenth century and what they were in the proces of doing - he certainly wasn''t praising those ''dark satanic mills''. Blake wasn''t your average bourgeois capitalist to say the least.

Gets my vote - and it accomodates both the patriots and the ''self-loathers'' amongst us - hey Arthur [;)] - lol! [:)] 

I agree Mac.  The overtly Christian reference to the "Lamb of God" could be an obstacle to some - but it doesn''t seem to bother our resident Buddhist . . .

[quote user="Jonny 5"]Jerusalem represents all that was wrong with English Empire building and I would hate to have it as our National Anthem. It''s basically a song about how Jerusalem is built in "dark satanic" lands and the singer won''t rest from killing muslims until Jerusalem is rebuilt in England. Not a very 21st Century message is it?

At least songs like Land of Hope and glory have a more positive message
[/quote]

You really couldn''t have got this much more back to front if you''d tried. The most cursory knowledge of Blake makes it absolutely obvious that these words are ironic. He is complaining because that is how he sees the leadership of the British Empire and the pious legitimation of their greed.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]And, anyway, the Russian anthem has by far the best ''tune'' in my opinion. [:)]  [/quote]

Russia eh?

Typical communist self loathing lefty [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]And, anyway, the Russian anthem has by far the best ''tune'' in my opinion. [:)]  [/quote]

Russia eh?

Typical communist self loathing lefty [;)]

[/quote]

I''ve been rumbled, lol. [:)]