Sign in to follow this  
Staplehurst Yella

Dean Ashton Signs Five Year Contract with West Ham

To be fair, he''s lucky to get anything the way he played against T&T Staplehurst!!!

Poor game agreed but I still really rate him as one of those players who just scores goals. If he could only stay fit this is a good result for both parties. West Hams bargaining power just increased massively should he decide to walk away as has been rumoured recently though.

[quote user="NegativeVibes"]If the reported £50,000 a week is true that''s like £2,600,000 a year.[/quote]This is where the "It''s only a short career" argument falls down every time you hear somebody trying to defend obscene wages in football. Well yes it is the average Pro career is probably 10 years or so. But on the average wage you''d have to work for 100 years to earn £2.6m so come on guys 1000 times theaverage wage over a ten year career? Justify that.Get crippled in the first minute of the first match when you''re on this kind of money and you''ll have banked enough to provide a steady comfortable income for life by the time the Club write you off.

I was hopng for him to leave so we could get a wee bit of money. I still think he has what it takes to make it at a higher level and he would be a perfect foil to Rooney and co at Utd.

[quote user="Worst Wizard"][quote user="NegativeVibes"]If the reported £50,000 a week is true that''s like £2,600,000 a year.[/quote]

This is where the "It''s only a short career" argument falls down every time you hear somebody trying to defend obscene wages in football. Well yes it is the average Pro career is probably 10 years or so. But on the average wage you''d have to work for 100 years to earn £2.6m so come on guys 1000 times theaverage wage over a ten year career? Justify that.Get crippled in the first minute of the first match when you''re on this kind of money and you''ll have banked enough to provide a steady comfortable income for life by the time the Club write you off.
[/quote]

I dont understand where the obscene wages thing come from.  These guys are professional athletes who are at the very pinnacle of what they do.  They can''t drink, smoke and merry at will and they attract followers and fans.  If West ham make say 1.5m by selling shirts with Ashton on teh back why shouldn''t he get a slice.  If they make £50m by being in the prem then why shouldnt he get a slice of that too. 

I dont here anyone harking on about obscene wages for movie stars i.e Will Smith @ £15m a movie or 3/4 months playing lets pretend.  While there is big money in the game it is only fair that the players get the lions share of that cash.  I would much rather that than some fat cat chairman who isn''t doing the hard work!!  To make players wages to be more realistic you have to take the money out of the game.

Smart move by Ashton I think, as this is as good as it gets for him really, even with injuries aside he will never be good enough for a top 6 club, and as far as his England dreams go... well that''s all they ever will be dreams.