Sign in to follow this  
Lincs CR

Roeder is STILL the right man for this job

Im wrinting this becuase im bored of reading "Roeder Out" style posts, which has only happened since Huckerby has left. Yes he was a hero for this club, yes he was an iconic figure in the eyes of 99% of Norwich city fans, but Roeder has taken a club with 9 points rooted to the bottom of the league and looking set for League One, and kept them up. And he announced his "Three Year Plan" which clearly states THREE years, not ONE year which is all Huckerby would have gotten had he have been given a contract extension.Roeder''s options were-1 - One year extension for Huckerby to please the fans and to please the player2 - Let him go and bring in someone on a more long-term basis who can provide for the futureI really cant understand, when there are so many other people involved such as the Board and all those involved behind the scenes, that people are placing blame on Roeder and are so negative towards him, and when the season has finished too! I would have liked to see Huckerby in a yellow shirt, but only if he could provide for the whole three year plan, not for one which is what most people were saying - "He''s got another year in him as yet".He kept us up which 95% of managers who could have had the job probably wouldnt have done in a million years, he''s got some outstanding contacts that can help build our squad build and grow for the future and who can push us towards the Premiership come 2 seasons time.

How can you say 95% of managers would not have kept us up , thats just pure guesswork , we could have appointed Warnock and made the play offs .Roeders usual record is initially does well then messes up big time in his next season , we shall see , its also said he cannot have big named players around , well that certainly looks true as there is any amount of poor players in this squad and the one player he has got shot off was the clubs star .

[quote user="TheRatAxe"]

How can you say 95% of managers would not have kept us up , thats just pure guesswork , we could have appointed Warnock and made the play offs .Roeders usual record is initially does well then messes up big time in his next season , we shall see , its also said he cannot have big named players around , well that certainly looks true as there is any amount of poor players in this squad and the one player he has got shot off was the clubs star .

[/quote]You cant blame the poor quality of players in our team in him at all, look at who he got in.....Pattison, whos passing isnt the best but energy and tackling is very useful, he brought in Evans who has been outstanding for us and will have one unbelievable future, likewise for Bertrand who is an outstanding prospect at this level. Gibbs wasnt the best to start off but the more he got settled in the better he became. His transfer links speak for themselves - 10/10

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"][quote user="TheRatAxe"]

[/quote]

You cant blame the poor quality of players in our team in him at all, look at who he got in.....Pattison, whos passing isnt the best but energy and tackling is very useful, he brought in Evans who has been outstanding for us and will have one unbelievable future, likewise for Bertrand who is an outstanding prospect at this level. Gibbs wasnt the best to start off but the more he got settled in the better he became. His transfer links speak for themselves - 10/10
[/quote]

Yes, at this moment in time, he''s currently the right person for the job... (for him retaining our Championship ''position'').....

But, I think this specific thread should be raised in 9 months time - and called ''Glenn''s Gestation Period''......When, at which time, we''ll have seen the squad that has been assembled and how it is performing.....

And, if Glenn actually received ''ample'' financial backing from the board.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Carrow Roeder"][quote user="TheRatAxe"]

[/quote]

You cant blame the poor quality of players in our team in him at all, look at who he got in.....Pattison, whos passing isnt the best but energy and tackling is very useful, he brought in Evans who has been outstanding for us and will have one unbelievable future, likewise for Bertrand who is an outstanding prospect at this level. Gibbs wasnt the best to start off but the more he got settled in the better he became. His transfer links speak for themselves - 10/10
[/quote]

Yes, at this moment in time, he''s currently the right person for the job... (for him retaining our Championship ''position'').....

But, I think this specific thread should be raised in 9 months time - and called ''Glenn''s Gestation Period''......When, at which time, we''ll have seen the squad that has been assembled and how it is performing.....

And, if Glenn actually received ''ample'' financial backing from the board.....

[/quote]

I could not agree more Mello. That is the time to judge any manager after a pre season, and a full season of his loans and buys. Mind you, I said that with Grant. Well said thou.

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]Im wrinting this becuase im bored of reading "Roeder Out" style posts, which has only happened since Huckerby has left. Yes he was a hero for this club, yes he was an iconic figure in the eyes of 99% of Norwich city fans, but Roeder has taken a club with 9 points rooted to the bottom of the league and looking set for League One, and kept them up. And he announced his "Three Year Plan" which clearly states THREE years, not ONE year which is all Huckerby would have gotten had he have been given a contract extension.

Roeder''s options were-

1 - One year extension for Huckerby to please the fans and to please the player
2 - Let him go and bring in someone on a more long-term basis who can provide for the future

I really cant understand, when there are so many other people involved such as the Board and all those involved behind the scenes, that people are placing blame on Roeder and are so negative towards him, and when the season has finished too! I would have liked to see Huckerby in a yellow shirt, but only if he could provide for the whole three year plan, not for one which is what most people were saying - "He''s got another year in him as yet".

He kept us up which 95% of managers who could have had the job probably wouldnt have done in a million years, he''s got some outstanding contacts that can help build our squad build and grow for the future and who can push us towards the Premiership come 2 seasons time.
[/quote]

I think Roeder has done a pretty good job,not a great one but good enough. I''m not blaming GR for the huckerby fiasco yet, i think in time we will find out who the real culprits were in this total PR shambles. We''ve not heard the end of this imo.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]Im wrinting this becuase im bored of reading "Roeder Out" style posts, which has only happened since Huckerby has left. Yes he was a hero for this club, yes he was an iconic figure in the eyes of 99% of Norwich city fans, but Roeder has taken a club with 9 points rooted to the bottom of the league and looking set for League One, and kept them up. And he announced his "Three Year Plan" which clearly states THREE years, not ONE year which is all Huckerby would have gotten had he have been given a contract extension.

Roeder''s options were-

1 - One year extension for Huckerby to please the fans and to please the player
2 - Let him go and bring in someone on a more long-term basis who can provide for the future

I really cant understand, when there are so many other people involved such as the Board and all those involved behind the scenes, that people are placing blame on Roeder and are so negative towards him, and when the season has finished too! I would have liked to see Huckerby in a yellow shirt, but only if he could provide for the whole three year plan, not for one which is what most people were saying - "He''s got another year in him as yet".

He kept us up which 95% of managers who could have had the job probably wouldnt have done in a million years, he''s got some outstanding contacts that can help build our squad build and grow for the future and who can push us towards the Premiership come 2 seasons time.
[/quote]

I think Roeder has done a pretty good job,not a great one but good enough. I''m not blaming GR for the huckerby fiasco yet, i think in time we will find out who the real culprits were in this total PR shambles. We''ve not heard the end of this imo.

[/quote]

I believe your right that we won''t see the end of this debate for a while. I still think that he made the choice. I feel its more of a statement of intent, and that he won''t be bullied by us or sentiment.

Again, your right with your perception of his achevement. We would all have taken this end of season position when he came, but somehow, we, well, I, think that we could have done better, especially after our run. But we got through it and await the summer signings.

If an outsider may be permitted to comment (and you generally humour this Old Git) I think this could be a defining season both for you and for Mr Roeder.  I''ve read a lot of the Huckerby debate and I can see the anger of those who felt deprived of giving him the wonderful send off that you and your opponents gave to Dion - and credit to those Wednesday fans if I may say so. 

I think this is the season where your club has to spend money if the Three Year Plan is not going to be just PR spin.  If they can do that and GR can buy in some decent players it is highly likely that you can make progress up the League but if that money is not forthcoming - and we are talking a minimum of several millions here I would think - I think he will struggle to achieve his aims and you might yet struggle against the relegation zone again.  Every year there is more and more money in this League with the Premiership drop downs and that will eventually affect every club who has not made the "promised land".  It is one of the reasons I believe it highly unlikely (without some sort of miracle funding) that my club Colchester will ever be able to maintain a Championship place, assuming that we make it back up at some time. 

But, eventually, unless there is investment it will affect great clubs like Norwich with their wonderful fan base and you''ll just get squeezed out.  I think you will find out next  season whether there is money available or whether you are skint!  No one really knows at this stage, of course, but you will be competing for available players with clubs who do have some financial clout and that won''t make it easy for GR.

I have seen it suggested by some contributors that you think you will opt to bring in loanees.  That''s more difficult this year because of the new seven subs rule in the Division above and it will make those who are available more expensive.  Also, to me, it doesn''t fit in with a Three Year Plan - they are never your players completely and you are unlikely to have the consistency you achieve with your own squad.  You can''t guarantee that you will have those players long enough for them to "gel" into a quality side and, if they do, you may then lose them at the end of the season.  Then you have to start building all over again so that doesn''t seem a starter to me.

That suggests to me that perhaps GR does have money this time round - if not, I am not sure how he will achieve his aim.  In general it is "settled" teams that become champions - they don''t have to be great stars as you and many others have proved (and the current Stoke Brick Outhouse XI is a good example currently although I think they will have to change their style a tad next season).

Let''s look on the bright side for Norwich shall we?  They *are* going to make money available (topped up with loanee "covers" if you like) and GR will be able to steadily build the team HE wants and you make good progress up the table and don''t endure the sort of season that both of us have just experienced. 

As to the Manager himself I''ve only met him a couple of times and I would describe him as very self focussed and willing to take decisions - a quality which I think is good but which is likely to make him as many enemies as friends.  From what little I have heard he is not fan focussed and never has been so I''m afraid everyone will have to accept that and, of course, if he gets results for you then I am sure you will forgive him that.

If I may say so I think he was a bit over a barrel over Huckerby.  It''s just my opinion of course but had he announced it prior to the Sheffield game I think it would have cast a pall over the whole proceedings although (some) of you could have given him a better send off.  Very tough call I would say and the Manager has to call it - and did.  But if you win your first eight games on the trot next season I think it will have less significance to most of you.

I''ve had a similar experience over the years, not with legends, but with great club servants and there is always emotional sadness if they matter to you.  That''s why I could never be a Manager (apart from not having the skill in the first place): emotional involvement.  I think you have to be detached (think hair dryer Fergie and how many acknowledged great players has he ditched?).  This week Lincoln City dumped our keeper Alan Marriott, our longest serving player and a great club servant and on the eve of his testimonial year (LOL) with no chance of a goodbye, injured for the last couple of games and most people didn''t see it coming.

And yet I remember a night not many yonks ago when Fulham fans (Carling Cup) flooded our message boards with: "Where did you get that keeper - he''s fabulous."  We have a new Manager, too, and to him he clearly ain''t that fabulous! 

So, apparently, with Hucks but at least yours went out with a beautifully taken goal!

But look on the bright side of life: they are going to give GR money to spend,  he will use it wisely and you''ll flourish.  That''s what I hope for you and for my clubs (Glory hunter me: Colchester United and Lincoln City).  At this distance none of us can know how it will actually turn out: I suggest that all you "lovely olds" as Arrdee says (what a character!) just report back as and when it happens (or not as the case may be) but far too early to call I think.

Hopefully you lot will have some cash this time around.  I certainly hope so lest The Girl Upstairs repeats her Grant mantra: "Dad, I don''t want to know the score".  It may have been luck that got you out of that mess or it may have been the skill of the Manager.

You''ll know next season for sure is my opinion.

[quote user="camuldonum"]

If an outsider may be permitted to comment (and you generally humour this Old Git) I think this could be a defining season both for you and for Mr Roeder.  I''ve read a lot of the Huckerby debate and I can see the anger of those who felt deprived of giving him the wonderful send off that you and your opponents gave to Dion - and credit to those Wednesday fans if I may say so. 

I think this is the season where your club has to spend money if the Three Year Plan is not going to be just PR spin.  If they can do that and GR can buy in some decent players it is highly likely that you can make progress up the League but if that money is not forthcoming - and we are talking a minimum of several millions here I would think - I think he will struggle to achieve his aims and you might yet struggle against the relegation zone again.  Every year there is more and more money in this League with the Premiership drop downs and that will eventually affect every club who has not made the "promised land".  It is one of the reasons I believe it highly unlikely (without some sort of miracle funding) that my club Colchester will ever be able to maintain a Championship place, assuming that we make it back up at some time. 

But, eventually, unless there is investment it will affect great clubs like Norwich with their wonderful fan base and you''ll just get squeezed out.  I think you will find out next  season whether there is money available or whether you are skint!  No one really knows at this stage, of course, but you will be competing for available players with clubs who do have some financial clout and that won''t make it easy for GR.

I have seen it suggested by some contributors that you think you will opt to bring in loanees.  That''s more difficult this year because of the new seven subs rule in the Division above and it will make those who are available more expensive.  Also, to me, it doesn''t fit in with a Three Year Plan - they are never your players completely and you are unlikely to have the consistency you achieve with your own squad.  You can''t guarantee that you will have those players long enough for them to "gel" into a quality side and, if they do, you may then lose them at the end of the season.  Then you have to start building all over again so that doesn''t seem a starter to me.

That suggests to me that perhaps GR does have money this time round - if not, I am not sure how he will achieve his aim.  In general it is "settled" teams that become champions - they don''t have to be great stars as you and many others have proved (and the current Stoke Brick Outhouse XI is a good example currently although I think they will have to change their style a tad next season).

Let''s look on the bright side for Norwich shall we?  They *are* going to make money available (topped up with loanee "covers" if you like) and GR will be able to steadily build the team HE wants and you make good progress up the table and don''t endure the sort of season that both of us have just experienced. 

As to the Manager himself I''ve only met him a couple of times and I would describe him as very self focussed and willing to take decisions - a quality which I think is good but which is likely to make him as many enemies as friends.  From what little I have heard he is not fan focussed and never has been so I''m afraid everyone will have to accept that and, of course, if he gets results for you then I am sure you will forgive him that.

If I may say so I think he was a bit over a barrel over Huckerby.  It''s just my opinion of course but had he announced it prior to the Sheffield game I think it would have cast a pall over the whole proceedings although (some) of you could have given him a better send off.  Very tough call I would say and the Manager has to call it - and did.  But if you win your first eight games on the trot next season I think it will have less significance to most of you.

I''ve had a similar experience over the years, not with legends, but with great club servants and there is always emotional sadness if they matter to you.  That''s why I could never be a Manager (apart from not having the skill in the first place): emotional involvement.  I think you have to be detached (think hair dryer Fergie and how many acknowledged great players has he ditched?).  This week Lincoln City dumped our keeper Alan Marriott, our longest serving player and a great club servant and on the eve of his testimonial year (LOL) with no chance of a goodbye, injured for the last couple of games and most people didn''t see it coming.

And yet I remember a night not many yonks ago when Fulham fans (Carling Cup) flooded our message boards with: "Where did you get that keeper - he''s fabulous."  We have a new Manager, too, and to him he clearly ain''t that fabulous! 

So, apparently, with Hucks but at least yours went out with a beautifully taken goal!

But look on the bright side of life: they are going to give GR money to spend,  he will use it wisely and you''ll flourish.  That''s what I hope for you and for my clubs (Glory hunter me: Colchester United and Lincoln City).  At this distance none of us can know how it will actually turn out: I suggest that all you "lovely olds" as Arrdee says (what a character!) just report back as and when it happens (or not as the case may be) but far too early to call I think.

Hopefully you lot will have some cash this time around.  I certainly hope so lest The Girl Upstairs repeats her Grant mantra: "Dad, I don''t want to know the score".  It may have been luck that got you out of that mess or it may have been the skill of the Manager.

[/quote]

great post camuldonum [Y]

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

great post camuldonum [Y]