Sign in to follow this  
arrdee

Oh for a Jimmy Hill

[quote user="arrdee"]

What would you give for a Jimmy Hill  Ricardo ? A midfield player with that killer pass ? I can hear the crowd roaring now every time Jimmy picked up the ball , the dropping of the shoulder , the swivel of the hips , the killer ball threaded through the defence , wonderful ,how many times did he do that Ricardo during a match ? not once but countless times  , I think we could have scored playing alongside Jimmy , how many goals did he set up for Bly and Allcock ?

He was the first player that I ever saw that did  the drag back with the ball , I couldn''t believe my eyes , I remember trying to do that all the next day with little success , I could do it while nearly stationary but Jimmy was doing it at speed , I can well remember him teasing and tantalising defences and the number of times the two defenders who were supposed to be marking him would collide with one another as they were bewildered trying to work out which way Jimmy was going and of course then came that killer pass of his. 

Of course there were hatchet men sent out to stop Jimmy playing , players didn''t get the protection then that they have today , Jimmy always had the ability to ride those  tackles , he was hardly ever injured .

Do you think Ricardo we will ever see his like again ? Those misty days , those hazy days so long ago ,those days I will remember for the rest of my life , the days when I saw the best player ever to pull on a City shirt , Jimmy Hill .arrdee.

[/quote]Who''s Jimmy Hill Ricardo?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Thanks again to Ricardo and Ray. I appreciate that it''s very difficult to compare players from different eras and I must admit I did have an ulterior motive for mentioning Lionel Messi.

I read an interesting article on Monday regarding the export of young Argentinian players. As is quite usual with these things the comments left by bloggers were mainly focused on the difference in styles between young Argentinian players and young English players. I was basically just wondering whether we used to produce more so called ''flair players'' in the days of Jimmy Hill than we do today, as it would tie in nicely with a couple of theories I have.

I''ll post the article and a couple of other pieces in a new thread when I get the chance (probably tomorrow), cue howls of derision from the "What''s this got to do with Norwich" brigade [;)] .

[/quote]

Andy just do it , dont''t ever worry what others think , I for one would love to know those thoughts you have .[Y] arrdee.

Canary Boy , Boy being the operative word , please grow up quickly and behave like a true City supporter , like all the young supporters of our great club do , apart from you and one or two others who should know better. Did someone once tell you you were funny ? Well if they did they owe you an apology .arrdee

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

Thanks again to Ricardo and Ray. I appreciate that it''s very difficult to compare players from different eras and I must admit I did have an ulterior motive for mentioning Lionel Messi.

I read an interesting article on Monday regarding the export of young Argentinian players. As is quite usual with these things the comments left by bloggers were mainly focused on the difference in styles between young Argentinian players and young English players. I was basically just wondering whether we used to produce more so called ''flair players'' in the days of Jimmy Hill than we do today, as it would tie in nicely with a couple of theories I have.

I''ll post the article and a couple of other pieces in a new thread when I get the chance (probably tomorrow), cue howls of derision from the "What''s this got to do with Norwich" brigade [;)] .

[/quote]

Andy just do it , dont''t ever worry what others think , I for one would love to know those thoughts you have .[Y] arrdee.

[/quote]

Hi Ray, I''ve been talking to Yankee about some games from the 50''s.

I was wondering if you remembered the first ever floodlit game against Sunderland. I was 11 years old at the time and my dad took me and we stood in the Barclay stand.

I was sorting through some boxes in my loft the other day and found the programme for this match October 17th 1956.  They were a top first division side and we were in the old 3rd South. They had a forward line of Billy Bingham, Charlie (cannonball) Flemming, Purdon, Len Shackelton and Elliot. Some great names there Ray, Len Shackelton was a really brilliant inside forward who was one of footballs all time greats and Billy Bingham was the same guy who broke our hearts in the 1959 F.A.C up semi Final against Luton.

I''m afraid our forward line that night had far less illustrious names. Ronnie Bacon, Johnny Gavin, Ralph Hunt, Billy Coxon and Ray Kithener.

I believe we got beat 3-0.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was wondering if you remembered the first ever floodlit game against Sunderland. I was 11 years old at the time and my dad took me and we stood in the Barclay stand.

I was sorting through some boxes in my loft the other day and found the programme for this match October 17th 1956.  They were a top first division side and we were in the old 3rd South. They had a forward line of Billy Bingham, Charlie (cannonball) Flemming, Purdon, Len Shackelton and Elliot. Some great names there Ray, Len Shackelton was a really brilliant inside forward who was one of footballs all time greats and Billy Bingham was the same guy who broke our hearts in the 1959 F.A.C up semi Final against Luton.

I''m afraid our forward line that night had far less illustrious names. Ronnie Bacon, Johnny Gavin, Ralph Hunt, Billy Coxon and Ray Kithener.

[/quote]

I was there Ricardo. What a night....little old Norwich ( sorry to those that it offends ) getting floodlights like the big boys. Just about bankrupted us too.

We did get beat but I couldn''t remember the score. I know this will sound like I''m challenging your memory but, rather, I''m really testing my own. My memory was that Len Shackleton was playing on the left wing. All eyes were to be on him that night. Even though Stanley Matthews was still playing, Shackleton had a great reputation for his wizardy.

No I was not allowed to go to evening matches because of school the next day . I would have been coming up to 6yrs old on that date , my brother who is nearly 8yrs older than me was almost certainly there . I use to keep awake waiting for him to come home . I would walk around the bedroom in order not to go to sleep , I would creep into his bedroom to hear all about the match . I of course remember all those names ,all greats , but please don''t remind me of Billy Bingham , or the day when my world fell apart , when I became inconsolable when no one could come near me for days . Yep spoilt brat I know but I was convinced we were going to win the cup that year . As you know we could have ran out in that cup final and beaten both those teams one after the other. arrdee. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was there Ricardo. What a night....little old Norwich ( sorry to those that it offends ) getting floodlights like the big boys. Just about bankrupted us too.

We did get beat but I couldn''t remember the score. I know this will sound like I''m challenging your memory but, rather, I''m really testing my own. My memory was that Len Shackleton was playing on the left wing. All eyes were to be on him that night. Even though Stanley Matthews was still playing, Shackleton had a great reputation for his wizardy.

[/quote]

Yes mate, Shackleton was really top notch. I can''t really remember much about the game after all it''s nearly 52 years ago. I wonder how many on this Forum were there that night? maybe it''s just us two.

I think you are right about the floodlights nearly bankrupting us. I think it was the same season we had to apply for re-election and nearly went bust.

Ricardo wrote:

"Yes mate, Shackleton was really top notch. I can''t really remember much about the game after all it''s nearly 52 years ago. I wonder how many on this Forum were there that night? maybe it''s just us two."

Don''t say that Ricardo....it will make you ( and me ) feel older than we want. There''s thousands of us out there still. We just have to find them. Perhaps this can be regarded as a desperate plea to others.

I can''t believe how old some of you gits are!

All I can say about the game in that age - judging from the 1966 world cup that I''ve watched, is players had 20 yards and about five seconds of time every time the ball came to them... a marked difference from the 1/2 yard and a couple of milliseconds you get to control the ball these days... ah! To receive the ball, looking up, adjusting your shirt, making sure a young filly had notice before casually launching the ball to whereever you wanted - all without ruffling a beautiful cut bonnet... marvellous!

[quote user="ob1"]

All I can say about the game in that age - judging from the 1966 world cup that I''ve watched, is players had 20 yards and about five seconds of time every time the ball came to them... a marked difference from the 1/2 yard and a couple of milliseconds you get to control the ball these days... ah! To receive the ball, looking up, adjusting your shirt, making sure a young filly had notice before casually launching the ball to whereever you wanted - all without ruffling a beautiful cut bonnet... marvellous!

[/quote]

ob1, apart from your observation on football, allow me to add a slight editorial comment to your utterings on "old gits" and speed. When a lady drops something or a door needs to be held open for her, when a dirty job needs doing, when someone is in trouble or needs a helping hand, this old git ( and many, many others just like me ) react in milliseconds compared to the tardy self-indulged younger generation of today. I wonder where us "old gits" learned about speed given the kind of football we had to watch when we were young?    

[quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]

Errrrmm!!!!! Dear, oh dear. Errrrmmmm......................!

Let me see now.

Brazil?

Duh!

Jimmy Hill and Tommy Bryceland would walk into Roeder''s team. no doubt.

OTBC

I''m pretty sure ob1 was ''avin'' a laff with us Yankee and Bly. Old gits[sn] can be a sort of term of endearment and I don''t think he meant any offence.[^o)] I just read his post and then said the senility prayer quietly to myself until the moment passed.[:#]

God, grant me the Senility to ignore the posters I never liked anyway,
The good fortune to meet the ones that I do,
And to keep enough of my faculties to tell the difference.

The comparisons between then and now in all sports is something that can never be agreed. I always say that you can''t be any better than to be the best in your time.

One of my treasured possessions is a history of soccer book that I had as a kid. It was written in 1968 and the opening paragraph reads:-

The essence of the game of soccer is its simplicity. Despite the commercial and big-business implications of the professional game in the 1960''s, and the trend-setting applications of modern coaching methods, soccer is basically as simle today as it was in its early history.

This not only reminds me how modern we thought the game was back then but also, that despite all the changes since, how we are all united together on here through the love of our club in what is still a simple but beautiful game.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]

Errrrmm!!!!! Dear, oh dear. Errrrmmmm......................!

Let me see now.

Brazil?

[/quote]What question are you suggesting an answer for?