Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

We wont lose many players if relegated.

I have been trying to think who we would lose should we get relegated. Marshall and Huckerby are the only two names that spring to mind.

All the other members of our squad i think will stay, as i dont think any other championship team will come in for them. This suggests to me that we have very much a league 1 team at the moment.

If  we were to try and get promotion back from League 1 we would need to strengthen on what we have now, so what does that suggest. To me that spells mid table in league 1.

Half of the league 1 table could beat us at the moment, comfortably. Unless we sign three or four players in January i cant see us getting to the 45 point wark, more like 32 going on current form. Who at the end of the day would want to join us. The only players we will get are has beens such as Hartson.

I think we will get a good manager in, but i still dont think we will stay up.

For the first time ever, since i started supporting City, i can quite categorically state that i am not in the least bit concerned about losing players. The Cook has acheived what even chase couldnt, and sold EVERY saleable asset the club has on its books. In future, if they need to make money quickly, they will have to plunder the kitchen and sell some ovens.  

We would because we''d have to shift our high earners to make money to make up for our lack of saleable assets. Hucks and Dublin will be gone, Marshall, Martin, Drury, Doherty, Croft will go i believe for one reason or another. We''ll be left with middle earners, whove struggled all season and our youngsters.

The players we''ve got now aren''t up to the necessary standard of League One....so lose them we must. It''ll take scrappers to get us out of it....and we are seriously short of them these days.

If we get relegated the following are likely to go because they are out of contract: Huckerby, Dublin, Doherty (the three biggest earners?), Murray, Ryan Jarvis, Halliday and Eagle.

Then I should imagine we will try to offload the following if we receive an offer : Marshall (good goalkeeper but Gilkes and Lewis should be sufficient), Drury (if we can get an offer from Sunderland or Derby), Brellier, Croft and possibly Cureton.

It will then be a case of rebuilding the squad: Williams from Stockport, a left back from Morecambe or Dundee etc.

BTW - some of the non player wages will probably be reduced, e.g., Doncaster. Some let go, e.g., Gunn

We will survive!

[quote user="Terminate the ipswich "]

I have been trying to think who we would lose should we get relegated. Marshall and Huckerby are the only two names that spring to mind.

All the other members of our squad i think will stay, as i dont think any other championship team will come in for them. This suggests to me that we have very much a league 1 team at the moment.

If  we were to try and get promotion back from League 1 we would need to strengthen on what we have now, so what does that suggest. To me that spells mid table in league 1.

Half of the league 1 table could beat us at the moment, comfortably. Unless we sign three or four players in January i cant see us getting to the 45 point wark, more like 32 going on current form. Who at the end of the day would want to join us. The only players we will get are has beens such as Hartson.

I think we will get a good manager in, but i still dont think we will stay up.

[/quote]

You might not lose many players ..........  but , supporters ... now that''s another minor matter [:(]