Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ben

Very Very Very Excited about this

[quote user="Mook"]

Jewell was bankrolled to oblivion in that job. It was like cheating on football manager for him in the first couple of seasons. The rest of his time there was just him jabbnig his finger in referees'' faces.

Also, if nobody had bad seasons, or got relegated, or "lost" the dressing room, or ran out of steam, then how would ANYBODY actually get sacked? All managers would have the same job for their entire careers!

[/quote]

I agree Mook but why appoint one thats bloody consistant at doing it?

[quote user="BigFish"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Im not excited-im depressed-still in shock that they done this to us.[/quote]

Why Arthur? Please explain yourself.

It seems very much like you have a persecution complex whereby "they" by whom I assume you mean the board do bad things to you. Perhaps you should shake youself out of this and realise that Doomy, Delia, MWJ, Hux et al are doing as much as they can for this football club. They may well have made a complete pig''s ear of it, mind, but they are trying.

Perhaps they are learning. One key learning point out of the Peter Grant debacle was not to offer the job as a step up to a relatively inexperienced manager in the hope of discovering the next Adie Boothroyd, Roy Keane etc. PG was a decent guy and a respected coach but fell plainly short as the main man. So after learning that a whole host of ex-players (Crook, Bowen), players (Dion), lower leaguers (Tilson, Ince), Championship rejects (Taylor, Allen, Pullis, Holloway) and assistants (Duffy, Parkinson) were off the list and rightly so.

So you are looking for an experienced manager with Prem experience where would you find one of those? No one currently in a job (Bruce) would consider turning in the chance of a pay-off, a prem salary and profile to pick up the team bottom of the Championship. Particularly as you know the previous incumbant lasted barely a year.

Oh yes, that does leave the great pipe dream of the unrealistic, Paul Jewell. A man who never expressed an interest and quite happily let it be known he was enjoying the break. He was never, ever going to give up on being linked with every second tier prem vacancy, move 200 miles across country and run the risk that his hard won reputation would be trashed by relegation and the sack.

All that leaves prem managers given the sack (Royle, Hoddle, Roeder, Reid etc). No one there to cause much excitement. Wolves went for McCarthy in a similar situation and I can''t imagine that choice would have thrilled the posters on this board either.

[/quote]

Mccarthy''s record in this division is not bad at all

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=951

unlike Roeder he has a tendancy to win more games than he loses.  His premiership record is however atrocious!! [:D]

Arthur, your statement about the fact we "can''t even get a bloke like Jewell" is just nonsense. Paul Jewell''s very highly-regarded and will end up at some decent Premier club if and when he decides to return to management. I didn''t think for a second that we would ever get him and whatever the board is guilty of (there''s plenty) I don''t think they can be blamed for not appointing Jewell.

Can''t you just accept he wouldn''t to have wanted to come here. And selectively judging Roeder and other potential appointees on whatever statistics fit your argument is also ultimately futile. We have Roeder now and have to see what he can do before we know whether the board have stuffed up again.

In time you might be right, but for the time being this whinging is just pointless. Fair enough, come back in a couple of month''s if it''s all gone even more **** up. You can say I told you so and we''ll nod sagely at your wisdom. But I don''t see what you''re achieving now, except sounding increasingly tedious.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][

unlike Roeder he has a tendancy to win more games than he loses.  His premiership record is however atrocious!! [:D]

[/quote]

Not bad at CJF. Now, he has a job that he wouldn''t swap for City as well. But the question is back to when he had been sacked by Sunderland and was on the dole would appointing him have pleased Arthur or would be have been discounted as another reject indicating lack of ambition?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

If we''d employed McCarthy you''d have been the first to complain that we were playing hoof ball

Well I gotta say im pretty excited about this as well.But then i can remember walking out of Carrow road following the Vitesse Arnham game turning to my dad and saying " They were really up for that. Think Grant is deffo gonna get us some glory this season, im really excited "And yeh... see where that got us.......... Roeder is certainly walking the walk... lets hope he can put his money ( or Delias ) where his mouth is !